SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Does the View of Progressive Sanctification Effectively Endorse the Carnal Mind Described in Rom 7

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
Peacemaker

Bakersfield, California

Does the View of Progressive Sanctification Effectively Endorse the Carnal Mind Described in Rom 7

Paul says in Romans 7 that the carnal mind is enimity against God and further that "he is carnal, sold under sin". He goes on to say that when he wants to do good, evil is right there with him; Never the less Paul also chastizes the Corinthian believers for yet being "carnal" and challenges them to go on to maturity (perfection?)

Do we really believe that Paul considered himself "carnal" and that he still struggled with a continuing conflict to do what was right as an exeception rather than the rule? Isn't it more clear scripturally that he had had learned to abide in Christ, to identify with Him completely at the cross, to have put on the mind of Christ, and was able to realize the reality of Christ in Him not in the future hope only, but present tense as applied to circumstances and challenges in life.

Progressive Sanctification teaches that as we walk with God we become more and more like Christ, however we always maintain a fundamental sin nature, and will always sin. Most of us strive for copying the model of Christ ie with the help of the Holy Spirit. We also give assent that of course we will always sin, since how can we be "better" than Paul and didn't he struggle?

Isn't striving to be "holy" in and of ourselves as little Christs just another form of self realization, self interest, and self consciousness that is fundamentally indicative of the "carnal mind" the claim to my right to myself? Doesn't this presumption of duality and separation from God condemn me to sin and failure by continued slavery to an "old" nature by definition. WHERE IS THE POWER?

I am disturbed by too many Christians resigning themselves to unrighteousness and expectation of sin - they usually don't even know what they've done ie "I know I sin all the time" - what are you doing? stop it!!

Read book on rediscovering the Cross the author reiterated a story of going to Starbucks and being asked " how are you" his reply " better than I deserve" he then proceeded to get into the discussion regarding faith. This kind of talk is beginning to make me gag. I mean come on - you've walked with Christ for years - and all you can do is heap condemnation upon yourself and that in front of the unbeliever. They don't want to hear it. Maybe they need to know about the Redemption - Christ died for the sin of the world, about Salvation - that you can be freed from the power, penalty and presence of sin - now and forever - now thats a hope. IT'S NOT ABOUT YOU!

My Pastor said the other day - old bumper sticker - BE PATIENT WITH ME GOD ISN'T DONE WITH ME YET. He said this was good theology. If so it certainly seems like poor psychology and poor prescription for righteous behaviour. If he said " I'LL BE PATIENT WITH YOU BECAUE GOD ISN'T FINISHED WITH YOU YET! I might applaud the sediment - otherwise IT'S JUST AN EXCUSE FOR BAD BEHAVIOUR.

We need a new paridigm:

Hunger after righteouness; God Imparts; We Identify with Christ ( both on and off the Cross) We Abide in this Reality - He manifests Himeself in and too and through us.

Then "IF" any man sin - he has an advocate and can return anytime.

WE CAN BE RIGHTEOUS AND WE CAN BE HOLY! THEN WALK IN THE LIGHT AS HE IS IN THE LIGHT.

Let's quit being Carnal and grow up into maturity to righteousness unto holiness to the glory of the father and His son foreever and ever amen.

2007/8/7 22:53Profile
HopePurifies

Georgia, USA

Re: Does the View of Progressive Sanctification Effectively Endorse the Carnal Mind D

Good word. :-)

2007/8/7 23:18Profile
rookie

Savannah TN

Re: Does the View of Progressive Sanctification Effectively Endorse the Carnal Mind D

Brother Robert wrote;

Quote:
Paul says in Romans 7 that the carnal mind is enimity against God and further that "he is carnal, sold under sin". He goes on to say that when he wants to do good, evil is right there with him; Never the less Paul also chastizes the Corinthian believers for yet being "carnal" and challenges them to go on to maturity (perfection?)

Many look to Romans 7 as an excuse to sin as you have stated in your post. Paul teaches that there is no means available to man based on his carnal mind to please God. As you have stated, it is Paul's assertion that we go onto maturity. In Romans 8, Paul teaches that the Holy Spirit is given to teach us the way we should walk...

Quote:
Progressive Sanctification teaches that as we walk with God we become more and more like Christ, however we always maintain a fundamental sin nature, and will always sin. Most of us strive for copying the model of Christ ie with the help of the Holy Spirit.

Paul also teaches that a "babe in Christ" does not yet understand the things of the Spirit, yet this babe has been given all things pretaining to Christ...

See 1 Corinthians chapter 1...

So there is according to Scripture a progressive growth in a believer's life. Paul warns the Corinthians that though they have many teachers there are few fathers among them.

Likewise John teaches in 1 John that there is a progression from 'little children" to "young men" to "fathers" that speaks of growing in spiritual maturity.

This maturing process both speaks of growing in holiness and growing in the understanding of the ways of God...

In Christ
Jeff

2007/8/8 4:05Profile

Re:

someone wrote:
Never the less Paul also chastizes the Corinthian believers for yet being "carnal" and challenges them to go on to maturity (perfection?)

moe_mac
I think the message Paul was saying a christian would not live in total perfection but HIS spirit would enable them to have the want-to or the desire to be pleasing to God. I think he was saying that a full time carnal christian is lost and I believe the term is an oxymoron.

2007/8/8 11:22

Re:

someone wrote:
Never the less Paul also chastizes the Corinthian believers for yet being "carnal" and challenges them to go on to maturity (perfection?)

I hit reply instead of edit. That why I have two here. edited (Sorry)

2007/8/8 11:23
dirving

Early-Methodism (ie. Wesley) taught an experience of immediate deliverance that he called "sanctification". Not progressive only, but an "event" after-which holiness could proceed. Early Methodism is filled with testimonial accounts of this event. See the old book "How They Entered Canaan" for example. When Pentecost fell upon the Wesleyan "Come Outers" in 1901 and afterward at Azusa Street this doctrine was misapplied as the necessary "Second Work" preceding Spirit Baptism. This created confusion which was relieved by Durham's (Baptistic) "Finished Work" doctrine that denied the Wesleyan doctrine altogether in favor of a "Progressive" view of sanctification. This rejection of an "event" wherein we "put off the body of the sins of the flesh" (Col. 2:11) has led to a church that does not seem to "progress" (as they are taught they are to do). My own experience is that the baptism of the Holy Spirit will bring one to an "event" of sanctification through an encounter with Christ & thereafter strengthen in the way of holiness.

2012/7/20 3:27Profile
jimp

Re:

hi, in the late 60s we were having church outside of baton rouge and lo and behold, about a hundred Jesus people showed up at the front door with their robes and sandals women dressed with no undergarments. a group of unhirable young people living in vans etc. i asked the lady who i regarded as the the most wise woman in our church what we should do with these weird folks and she said nothing. let us love them and watch the Holy Spirit change them through the preaching.a year later one guy who had a beard down to his belt and hair down to his rump and wore a robe with a bell tied to it showed up to church clean shaven and in a suit with a white shirt and a bow tie.he had gotten a job as a computer programmer with the city. to watch God change the young people was a thrill because no one told them anything accept to love Jesus with vigor. many secret marriages went on that first year also .it was beautiful to see and wonderful to remember.jimp the young man i spoke of :glen went to bible col. with me and turned out to be one of my dearest friends and was in my house every week listening to len ravenhill minister.

2012/7/20 5:04Profile
rookie

Savannah TN

Peacemaker wrote:

"Isn't striving to be "holy" in and of ourselves as little Christs just another form of self realization, self interest, and self consciousness that is fundamentally indicative of the "carnal mind" the claim to my right to myself?"

and...

"IT'S NOT ABOUT YOU!"

Yes this is true. For the Scriptures teach that our "striving to be "holy"" is according to the carnal mind. But Scripture then teaches that the Holy Spirit is given as our counselor. So we have a choice, listen and obey the Spirit, or continue to strive according to the flesh. If we listen and obey then we find ourselves in this parable...

Mat 11:27 "All things have been delivered to Me by My Father, and no one knows the Son except the Father. Nor does anyone know the Father except the Son, and [the one] to whom the Son wills to reveal [Him].

Mat 11:28 "Come to Me, all [you] who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.

Mat 11:29 "Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.

Mat 11:30 "For My yoke [is] easy and My burden is light."

The "yoke" is the Spirit that speaks.

2012/7/20 7:09Profile
Josef83

Sweden

Hi,

I dont belive romans 7 is talking about unregenrate men as the sinless perfectionsts teaches

There are several reasons for that.

1. verse 22 " For I delight in the law of God, in my inner being"

This is very impossible for a hater of God that has not a renewed heart.
Only a man who loves God and are his child can delight in his law.

2. verse 18 "For I have the desire to do what is right, but not the ability to carry it out".

A man who is an enemy of God and not his child do not have a desire to do what is right Joh 3:20 is clear on this and i can add Rom 8:7

3. 1 Joh 1:8 "If we say we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us."

If anyone claim to be sinless he deceives himself and he is a liar!

4.Rom 6:23 "Wages of sin is death"
Since all men die there is no one sinless.
Christ was the only one who ever was sinless but he gave his life freely.

Greatings from a wicked vile and useless worm.

2012/7/20 7:26Profile
learn

Re:

[quote by rookie
Mat 11:30 "For My yoke [is] easy and My burden is light."
The "yoke" is the Spirit that speaks]

Thank you.

2012/7/20 8:23Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy