SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : A Church Becomes Like Its Leader -poonen

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 A Church Becomes Like Its Leader -poonen

[b]A Church Becomes Like Its Leader[/b]
[i]by Zac Poonen[/i]

If there is shallowness in the lives of most believers today, it is because the lives of their leaders are shallow. The people’s lives are carnal, because the leader’s life - his thought-life, his relationship with his wife, and children and fellow-workers - is carnal.

A church invariably becomes like its leader. In Revelation 2 and 3, we see that in each of the seven cases, the Lord spoke the same message to the church as He did to its messenger. Each message concluded with the statement that the Spirit was saying the same thing to that church. Where five messengers (elders) were carnal, their churches were carnal. And where two messengers were spiritual, their churches were spiritual too. The messenger in Laodicea was lukewarm and so was his church. The messenger in Philadelphia was faithful and so was his church.

In Genesis 1, a phrase that occurs frequently is ‘after their kind’. We read there of fruit trees bearing fruit after their kind, plants yielding seed after their kind, the fish and the birds after their kind, and beasts, creeping things and cattle after their kind (verses 11,12,21,25). In creation, everything produces after its own kind.

God created Adam "in the likeness of God" (Gen.5:1). But Adam produced a son "according to his own image" (v.3). He could not produce a son in the likeness of God. He could produce one only after his own kind.

Spiritually too, we will all produce children according to our own likeness and after our own kind. If we are the intellectual type, we will produce intellectually-minded people through our ministry. If we are misers, we will produce misers. And if we’re haughty and proud, we will produce haughty people through our ministry. On the other hand, if we have the spirit of a servant, our spiritual children will have a servant-spirit too

It is possible however, that a rare brother may break out of his leader’s mould and seek God for himself and become spiritual, in spite of his leader’s carnality. But such a case is rare. Generally speaking, most believers are like sheep who blindly follow their leader, wherever he goes. Like preacher, like people! And when both sheep and leader are blind, they both fall into the ditch.

In every church - in the best and in the worst - those sitting in the outer court will be of the same type - half- hearted, worldly, seeking their own, lovers of money and lovers of ease and pleasure.

But a good church will have a strong inner core of leaders who are godly. This core determines which way the church is going to go.The central core will usually begin with two men who have become one with each other. God will be with them and the core will begin to grow in size and unity.

2007/8/7 16:13Profile
LoveHim

Indiana, US

Re: A Church Becomes Like Its Leader -poonen

thnak you brother greg for this article. i have been reading some e m bounds and i have been challenged so much to much prayer for the church and revival. this article reminds me of the article that a praying preacher begats a praying pew (or something like that). anyways, it is so true that many will follow the lead of the leader and so few will actually discern whether he is leading them deeper into Christ and His cross or some temporal teaching.

Lord let us be a people that will humble ourselves daily and seek Your face for You. Father, be our true Treasure and exceedingly great Reward. thank you Jesus.

2007/8/7 16:33Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy