SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : 'come' or 'gone' ? (Eze 11:16)

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread

'come' or 'gone' ? (Eze 11:16)

I've just noticed this, and wonder if a scholar can say which is the better translation.

Ezekiel 11:16
NASB

16 "Therefore say, `Thus says the Lord GOD, "Though I had removed them far away among the nations and though I had scattered them among the countries, yet I was a sanctuary for them a little while in the countries where they had [u]gone[/u]."'

KJV
16 Therefore say, Thus saith the Lord GOD; Although I have cast them far off among the heathen, and although I have scattered them among the countries, yet will I be to them as a little sanctuary in the countries where they shall [u]come[/u].

The NKJV stays with 'gone', as does Young's Literal, and the ASV stays with 'come'. Interesting.

Thank you in advance.

I realise the general meaning of both is the same, and in many ways 'gone' makes sense if you are in Jerusalem.

But, if you are anywhere else, 'come' may make more sense... so, is 'come', a reflection on the translators rather than the text?

2007/8/7 14:52
IRONMAN

IN HEAVENLY PLACES WITH JESUS

Re: 'come' or 'gone' ? (Eze 11:16)...both?

sis D

Greetings in Jesus' Name by Whose Blood we are Saved.AMEN.

the Young's Literal says:

[b]16 it [is] ours, the land hath been given for an inheritance; therefore say: Thus said the Lord Jehovah: Because I put them afar off among nations, And because I scattered them through lands, I also am to them for a little sanctuary, In lands whither they have gone in.[/b]

i suppose that it is a matter of the perspective of the translator, one sees the people as being there in the lands, the other that they have yet to be cast out into the lands. Either way, the people are cast away from home and go to or come into foreign lands.

Grace and Peace is ours in Jesus' Name.AMEN.

2007/8/7 15:18Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy