SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Are the SDAs a Cult?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
HomeFree89

Indiana

Are the SDAs a Cult?

This came up a while ago and I'm still not sure about it. I've had people tell me that the Seventh Day Adventists are a cult, but I've read some of their statement of faith and it's a lot more biblical than some other denominations.

I also read a book called, A Thousand Shall Fall, that made me think they weren't a cult. It tells about how God helped a man that was drafted into Hitler's army in Germany and he didn't have to work on the Sabbath, eat pork, or compromise his convictions.

I realize the Bible says that we can eat pork, that's not what I want to focus on. Can someone give me clear evidence that they are or aren't a cult?

Jordan

2007/8/6 21:03Profile
Christinyou

Ca.

Re: Are the SDAs a Cult?

They are not a cult. They just have Grace and works intermingled. They stand on the Law, then they are saved by Grace, through works. They must build their own faith and do their own works to make Faith work in their salvation. That is what religion is all about. Do to get, not freely get then learn to do.

In Christ: Phillip

2007/8/7 0:07Profile
HomeFree89

Indiana

Re:

Hi Phillip,

Would you please clarify? Are you saying they believe that they're justified by their works?

Thanks,
Jordan

2007/8/7 10:30Profile

Re:

Quote:
They are not a cult. They just have Grace and works intermingled. They stand on the Law, then they are saved by Grace, through works. They must build their own faith and do their own works to make Faith work in their salvation. That is what religion is all about. Do to get, not freely get then learn to do.

You say to-may-tow ... I say to-mah-tow.

Cult, false religion... doesnt matter what you call it, it's false. They are legalistic in that they believe you are saved thru faith in Jesus Christ [b]AND[/b] this, that and the other thing.

They claim all who worship on any other day (especially Sunday) other than Saturday are anti-Christ. There is a whole slew of things they promote in their legalism.

These are the Judaizers Paul warned about, and strongly urged believers to avoid.

It is a false religion as much as Islam is.

So, if someone is too politically correct (afraid to offend anyone) to call it a cult, at least recognize that they are a false religion. Mormons, JW's, SDA's, Islam, Roman Catholicism... they all fall under the same catoegory.

Krispy

2007/8/7 10:44
Tears_of_joy

Jordan, do you have someone close who is into SDA's?

You ask are they cult, I suggest you to start reading about their roots or more specifically about their main founder and prophet Ellen White.
You cannot see are they cult just by reading some statements of faith, a lot of things are not written there.

Here is good website for that purpose:

http://www.ellenwhite.org/

2007/8/7 10:46Profile
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re:

Seventh Day Adventist doctrine espouses annihilationism, soul sleep and investigative judgment. Annihilationsim denounces a literal hell. Soul Sleep defies the belief that the soul is eternal. Investigative Judgment teaches that the judgment of believers has been in process since 1844. They abstain from meats, teach others to do so, and place a legal emphasis on sabbatarianism. They also view their church as the true "remnant", a similiar belief held respectively by the Jehovah Witnesses, Mormons, the Roman Catholic Church, United Pentecostal Church, etc.

This is not to to libel any one particular denomination or movement, but I would encourage you to honestly investigate fully the claims and beliefs of the SDA church, and weigh what you find in light of Holy Scripture. Do this with any church or religious movement or belief system that is not abundantly clear, but is purporting to follow Christ. And especially investigate any movement that apostacizes other churches that do not share in their convictions.

Brother Paul

2007/8/7 11:10Profile

Re:

2john 1:10 "If anyone comes to you and does not bring this teaching, do not recieve him into [i]your[/i]house, and do give him a greeting"

2 Tim.2:14-18
14 "Remind them of these things, charging them before the Lord not to strive about words to no profit, to the ruin of the hearers. 15 Be diligent to present yourself approved to God, a worker who does not need to be ashamed, [i][b]rightly [/b][/i] dividing the word of truth. 16 But shun profane and idle babblings, for they will increase to more ungodliness. 17 And their message will spread like cancer. Hymenaeus and Philetus are of this sort, 18 who have strayed concerning the truth, saying that the resurrection is already past; and they overthrow the faith of some. 19 Nevertheless the solid foundation of God stands, having this seal: "The Lord knows those who are His," and, "Let everyone who names the name of Christ depart from iniquity."

2007/8/7 11:16
InTheLight

Phoenix, Arizona USA

My Pastor is a former SDA, he runs an outreach website with lots of helpful info and sermons on this cult...[url=http://www.exadventist.com/]Ex Adventist[/url]

In Christ,

Ron

2007/8/7 11:32Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

This is the best page of that website the dear brother sent:

[b]Does Mrs. White Pass the Biblical Tests of a Prophet?[/b]
http://www.ellenwhite.org/egw35.htm

2007/8/7 12:44Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

Greg,
Interesting site. Here I will post a comment from it hoping it will whet someone's interest to check it out some more:

A prophet does not have to make predictions in order to be a prophet. A prophet is defined as "somebody who interprets or passes on the will of a deity." (Encarta Dictionary) Typically, however, Biblical prophets do make predictions about future events. These predictions help to establish the claims and validity of a prophet because knowledge of future events surpasses human ability and resides in the domain of omnipotent power. Jeremiah writes that… ...when the word of the prophet shall come to pass, then shall the prophet be known, that the LORD hath truly sent him. (Jer. 28:9)

ginnyrose

2007/8/7 13:05Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy