SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Acts 15

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
Onesimus4God

Chapala, Jalisco, Mexico

Acts 15

I find this one of the most interesting chapters in all of the Bible. Why? Because for all those who would seek to add "conditions" to our salvation, this passage is seldom, if ever preached in it's truth and understanding. The letter given to Paul for the gentiles is quite simple, and quite liberating.
My question is I suppose, are these simple things listed in this letter mentioned for salvation, or for sanctification?

"0"

2007/8/6 12:14Profile

Re: Acts 15

Acts 15:28ff

[i][color=000066]28 For it seemed good [b]to the Holy Spirit, and to us[/b], to lay upon you no greater burden than these necessary things: 29 that you abstain from things offered to idols, from blood, from things strangled, and from sexual 1immorality.[/color][/i]

Mmmm, So the Holy Spirit Himself endorsed these few rules. The ban on immorality and on idol worship is obvious, but why things strangled, and blood?

This was a law from before Moses, or even before Abraham, from the time that Noah was given permission to eat meat after the Flood. There was a ban on eating blood, and anything with the blood remaining (as with a creature that had been strangled).

But what are the present day implications for us? For example, does that mean that we are not to eat black pudding (A kind of sausage made with blood)? Some African tribes live mostly on milk and blood serum from their cattle, mixed together to make a kind of porridge. Is that wrong?

How far does this go? Is it because the drinking of blood was a pagan practice in the society of the day? In that case, it was what the blood [i][u]represented[/u][/i] that would be forbidden, rather than the blood itself as such?

I don't fancy black pudding anyway, and have never eaten it, but would it be sin if I did?

Or what if I cut my finger and licked some blood from the cut, (saliva has some soothing and antiseptic properties, and it's natural to lick a wound)?

Or was this particular rule only for that day and age? To most of us, the thought of drinking blood, (or eating black pudding) doesn't have any pagan connotations, and wouldn't tempt us into idol worship, but maybe it would have in those days. What about strangulation, was that a practice in pagan sacrifices too?...

More questions than answers!

Thanks for bringing this up.

Jeannette

2007/8/6 15:25
hmmhmm

Sweden

Re: Acts 15

edit: wrong thread !

2007/8/6 15:32Profile
Onesimus4God

Chapala, Jalisco, Mexico

Re: Thanks for the questions...

Thanks for the questions and the information. I didn't want to elaborate, since that might have prejudiced someone's idea.
To me, salvation is much simpler than most make it out to be. Furthermore, many preachers and their flocks cannot seem to detach the new birth or salvation from sanctification,ie, the life to be lived after the new birth. Salvation then becomes conditional, with all kinds of rules and regulations added and peace goes right out the window.
So, this letter that was sent to the gentiles by the apostles is not insignificant side thing. It was very important. So how did we get this far away from their direction and admonishment?
Well, it didn't take for long things to start going amuck. In the very next chapter of ACTS, we find Paul meeting this young man named Timothy. He was not circumcised since his mother was a jew but his father was greek. So what did Paul do? He circumcised him, and Luke gives the reason, to appease the jews, these same jews that were contending for circumcision in chapter 15.
Oh that we could learn from this experience and rethink all that we have become over the years.

Contemplating,

"0"

2007/8/7 7:49Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy