SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Some excerpts from John Wesleys works....

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
hmmhmm

Sweden

Some excerpts from John Wesleys works....

I just started reading the "works of John Wesley" about 7500 pages all in all, probably take me some years :-P , but i must say even if i just started
Some things that spoke to me today are two quotes i will share here...
there are much that is very "rich"

[i]Saturday, 7.—Mr. Oglethorpe returned from Savannah with Mr. Spangenberg, one of the pastors of the Germans. I soon found what spirit he was of and asked his advice with regard to my own conduct. He said, “My brother, I must first ask you one or two questions. Have you the witness within yourself? Does the Spirit of God bear witness with your spirit that you are a child of God?” I was surprised, and knew not what to answer. He observed it and asked, “Do you know Jesus Christ?” I paused and said, “I know He is the Saviour of the world.” “True,” replied he; “but do you know He has saved you?” I answered, “I hope He has died to save me.” He only added, “Do you know yourself?” I said, “I do.” But I fear they were vain words.

saturday 19 - Mr Oglethorpe returned from the south, and gave orders on Sunday,the 20th, that none should profane the day(as was usual before) by fishing or fowling upon it. In the afternoon I summed up what I had seen or heard at Frederica, inconsistent with Christianity, and consequently, with the prosperity of the place. The event was as it ought: Some hearers were profited, and the rest deeply offended......

Tuesday, 22.—Observing much coldness in M ----‘s behaviour, I asked him the reason of it. He answered, “I like nothing you do. All your sermons are satires upon particular persons, therefore I will never hear you more; and all the people are of my mind; for we won’t hear ourselves abused.

“Besides, they say, they are Protestants. But as for you, they cannot tell what religion you are of. They never heard of such a religion before. They do not know what to make of it. And then your private behaviour: all the quarrels that have been here since you came, have been ‘long of you. Indeed there is neither man nor woman in the town who minds a word you say. And so you may preach long enough; but nobody will come to hear you.”

He was too warm for hearing an answer. So I had nothing to do but to thank him for his openness and walk away.[/i]

Get the 7 vol set here for 49:95
[url=http://www.christianbook.com/Christian/Books/product/?item_no=01111&p=1015617]Complete Works Of John Wesley[/url]

2007/8/4 15:12Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy