SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Creativity and Analytical Thinking

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
Nile

Raleigh, NC

Creativity and Analytical Thinking

What role does creativity and analytical thinking play in a Christian's life?

I very much desire to be creative and to make things and to investigate complex things. In times past, I have especially love strategy games, challenging statistical problems, and computer programming. God has gifted me with an aptitude for analytical thinking and a desire to be creative. Before consecrating my life to God, I used these gifts for my own vanity, selfish interests, and fleshly pleasures. I really really want to use these gifts for God now, but I'm not sure how to.

Any wisdom is appreciated.

Nile

2007/8/4 10:38Profile
sojourner7

Omaha, NE

Re: Creativity and Analytical Thinking

The ability to reason things through and
creative thinking are gifts from God.
God certainly can use creative people.
Just remember He is the source of all
truth and His wisdom is beyond our
understanding. Weigh everything against
the truth of the Scriptures and study to
present yourself approved to God as a
worker who does not need to be ashamed,
rightly dividing the word of truth.

P.S. C.S. Lewis was a brilliant mind and
a creative thinker; and God used him
mightily!!
;-)

2007/8/4 12:09Profile

Re: Creativity and Analytical Thinking

Quote:

Nile wrote:
What role does creativity and analytical thinking play in a Christian's life?

I very much desire to be creative and to make things and to investigate complex things. In times past, I have especially love strategy games, challenging statistical problems, and computer programming. God has gifted me with an aptitude for analytical thinking and a desire to be creative. Before consecrating my life to God, I used these gifts for my own vanity, selfish interests, and fleshly pleasures. I really really want to use these gifts for God now, but I'm not sure how to.

Any wisdom is appreciated.

Nile

Hi Nile

It is wonderful when the Lord gives us gifts that can be used for Him.

However, just a word of warning, He might want to use you in a different way, a way in which you never thought you had a gift. Be open to His leading, don't assume that these are the main things God intends to use you in - He may have something else in store.

There is also a sense in which an analytical way of thinking can be a snare. Especially in understanding the Bible, and in other matters of faith. I speak as one who is rather analytical by nature, (natural inclination and being trained in science subjects). To bring our human reasoning to bear on the things of the Spirit can make us miss what the Lord is trying to say to us. Like Thomas (who was also the most doggedly loyal perhaps of all the disciples), "I will not believe...unless I see..."

Finally, our natural gifts have to "go to the Cross" before God can use them as greatly as He wants. As the hymn says,

[i][color=000066]"Nothing in my hand I bring
Simply to thy cross I cling"[/color][/i]

There is a "dying to self" involved in the use of any gift; "dying" to what we think, or even know that we can do well. Sometimes He even takes away the gift until we've learnt this fully, or doesn't let us use it. Maybe for a season, maybe permanently.

(I've been there).

Hold your gifts lightly. Bring them, as it were, to the altar, and "let them go" to Him.

This need not mean giving up the use of your gifts, (though it might). Rather let your gifts be as the OT sacrifice of the "wave" and "heave" offerings. The worshipper gave these to the priest who waved the breast of the sacrifice, or lifted up the shoulder portion, before the Lord.

Thus your heart and your strength of abilities and giftings are offered to Him, through Jesus, our Priest and our sacrifice.

Then your gifts will blaze with His glory and no-one will see you any more, only the Giver!

In Him

Jeannette

2007/8/4 16:46
Nile

Raleigh, NC

Re:

Thanks Jeanette, I really needed that word.
Recently I've had strong temptations to use my gifts for myself instead of giving them to God.
I think I'm on the right track again =)

God bless you,
Nile

2007/8/4 17:06Profile

Re:

Quote:

Nile wrote:
Thanks Jeanette, I really needed that word.
Recently I've had strong temptations to use my gifts for myself instead of giving them to God.
I think I'm on the right track again =)

God bless you,
Nile

I'm already blessed by your response! :-D

As I said, I've been there!

Jeannette

2007/8/4 17:10

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy