SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Is the canon of scripture closed??

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread

Re:

someone wrote:

Hi again
"one well known televangelist said that jesus was going to appear on his prodcast on such day and time" That's horrendous! As you say, totally unscriptural. I could give one or two guesses re who the "well known televangelist" is, but maybe best not name names, unless yyou think that a specific warning is in order?
I understood that was what you were thinking of when you posted your comment; but just wanted to affirm that there is also such a thing as true prophecy - even in these days.
Remember Elijah? How many prophets of Baal were there? And Elijah was only one. There are false prophets aplenty, and they shout louder than the true prophet, but that doesn't mean that true prophets don't exist!
The spirit and teachings of Jezebel are rampant, and growing more so, yet the Lord has His "7,000 in Israel" still

response:Matt 24:36-37
36 But of that day and hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels of heaven, but my Father only.
37 But as the days of Noah were, so shall also the coming of the Son of man be.
KJV

Matt 24:11-15

11 And many false prophets shall rise, and shall deceive many.

12 And because iniquity shall abound, the love of many shall wax cold.

13 But he that shall endure unto the end, the same shall be saved.

14 And this gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in all the world for a witness unto all nations; and then shall the end come.

15 When ye therefore shall see the abomination of desolation, spoken of by Daniel the prophet, stand in the holy place, (whoso readeth, let him understand:)
KJV

A prophet is (someone)- edit that speaks God's Word!!!!!

2007/8/4 18:49
IRONMAN

IN HEAVENLY PLACES WITH JESUS

The Canon is Closed, but...

Greetings in Jesus' Name by Whose Blood we are Saved.AMEN.

indeed the written canon os scripture is closed and completed. However dear saints we need to reckon with something of such gravity that if we fail, we will miss the Fullness of the Canon. The Canon is of God, the Inspired, Inerrant word of God, and because it is of God it is Infinite, Inexaustible, deeper than depth just like He is. The context of the Canon is Eternal just as God is Eternal. This is why the word doesn't get old nor does fail to be relevant in any place or time or situation. Each verse is of Infinite depth and can mean one of many things based on context.Scripture is not set in stone in that a verse means one thing and one thing only always, but even if it does mean one thing, that thing itself is of Infinite depth and Gravity. of late i have been finding that the Canon is Alive in a sense of seemingly adapting to any given situation. i can see things in the word now that i never saw before. Of course this is a Grace extended to me from God Himself. i would say that it we thought we didn't need Special Revelation from God on the word, then we have fully understood it through and through. Then we have sucked all the marrow out of it. We remain in need of Special Revelation from Him always or else we don't grasp the Gravity of Scripture in the Eternal sense and we are left with only a superficial understanding of it. i used to think i knew the word...then it was brought to my attention by Paul that if a man thinks he knows something, he knows nothing as he ought to know...saints the word has layers. Paul brings out things which were written in O.T. scripture and expounds on them in ways which are beyond what anyone could have perceived...then he applied them...Paul was shown much and i think i am beginning to understand what that felt like. When Paul read the prophets, he saw beyond the surface texts and was shown by God something of the Eternal Context of these writings. Paul talks about Christ returning to gather us to Himself and yet says we are in Heavenly Places with Christ already...to take out places in Heaven now would give us the proper Perspective of the Canon, God's. From right there next to Him. The view from up here is something y'all must check out if you haven't already...

Someone said there is no need for mystical revelation from God...what Revelation from God isn't Mystical? Paul was a Mystic, what other knd of man would get to know what he knew but a Mystic, a Godly one, not one of those other kinds of mystics that are into the occult and stuff. Tozer was a Mystic, all these men who served God and were written of in the Canon were Mystics, the knew God in ways most men didn't. Dear saints i hope we don't think we have the word on lock and can coast along. There is still need for the gifts, if they were needed at the beginning, how much more necessary will they be now that we are at the end? Tongues, healings, miracles etc will accompany those who believe the word says, so if we believe in this day and age, those things will yet follow us. if we believe they are not needed, the only reason i can see for such is if we no longer believe!God forbid that! i suppose part of the idea of cessationalism is a fear of going out of one's comfort zone into the unknown. Sure there are some excesses and counterfeits which we must be wary of, but God still gives Spiritual Gifts, if there is a counterfeit, it is because the real deal is out there. There is also a misunderstanding of the thing which is Perfect which will render the gifts and such unnecessary. this has widely been believed to be the coming of the Canon, but it isn't. The Perfection which will render the gifts unnecessary is when we as a Body step into the Fullness of the Stature of Christ. When that happens, there will be no more sin, no more sickness (no need for healing), no more unbelief (no need for signs)...i can't even begin to try and fathom what that is...We will walk in Perfect Love and Obedience to Him as One, Every Believer...i am at a loss over this...

bro KingJimmy said that we remain in need for Prophecy be it personal, forthtelling what is to come etc and we do. There is an interesting thing which happens in Prophecy as it pertains to the future, things get clearer closer to the event. Daniel was given a book and he had to seal it for us in this time of the end...i wonder what all is in that book...the Revelation has been making more and more sense the closer we get to the Coming.

there is a Jewish tradition which says that each verse in scripture can be interpreted at lest 360 different ways...and we oft get bent out of shape when there are only 2 views being discussed and we can't fathom the idea that maybe both are valid...this would mean we may have to admit we don't know everything :-P a classic example of 2 ideas which are argued about as though they are mutually exclusive are predestination and free will. The 2 are not mutually exclusive, both are supported by scripture but one without the other leaves one with a warped view of God, the 2 together give us the True Perspective as it pertains to our Salvation because the 2 are 1 that men may be saved and thus God be Glorified. The word says we are called from before the setting of the foundations of the earth...and it also says we are to choose Christ...and it says we can't choose Him unless He chooses us first and God draw us to Christ. it's not predestination vs free will but predestination AND free will.

well, i know one of the meanings of some of these verses...at leat 359 to go... 8-) :smart: :knockedout: *someone help me reboot my brain, i think i pulled something or burnt a a fuse*

Grace and Peace is ours in Jesus.AMEN.

2007/8/5 4:34Profile

Re: The Canon is Closed, but...

AMEN, Bro Ironman!

Thank you for that wise word.

I especially liked, "there is a Jewish tradition which says that each verse in scripture can be interpreted at lest 360 different ways"

Why not 365, one for each day of the year? :-;

Jeannette

2007/8/5 14:42

Re: The Canon is Closed, but...

You are right Ironman, hopefully no one on SI or anywhere else thinks they have understood all that is written in God's Word. That's why I said in an ealier post in view of that earlier post and your post here, why would anyone need any special revelation that is not already contained in His written Word. Truth can usually be explained in few words. But there are many truths in His Word.

2007/8/5 17:38
IRONMAN

360...365...to Infinity and beyond!

sis Jeannette

indeed our Lord has been most Gracious to me in what He has been showing me of late. Grace has been extended to me in fastings (which i didn't do before) and in revelation of Himself and His word to me. Truly there is depth beyond depth in the riches of God's Wisdom and Knowledge like Paul said, who indeed has been His Counselor?

if the minimum number of interpretations is 360 which is about 1 a day and the maximum is infinity, i'm glad we have eternity to delve into these mysteries...Heaven is not a boring place and i feel a preview of that is poring over the word, you can't be bored doing that, well unless you're messing up somewhere...i just had the foolish notion of putting that to the test. not sure where to begin but i'm sure our Lord will give guidance.

to Infinity and beyond...

2007/8/5 20:16Profile
IRONMAN

Re:

BRO Moe

Quote:
You are right Ironman, hopefully no one on SI or anywhere else thinks they have understood all that is written in God's Word. That's why I said in an ealier post in view of that earlier post and your post here, why would anyone need any special revelation that is not already contained in His written Word. Truth can usually be explained in few words. But there are many truths in His Word.

oh now i see what you're saying! We were saying the same thing!Indeed the Wisdom of God which is contained in the word is Manifold but the Truths themselves are interlinked in such a way that they support one another. Some things which seem far off really do have scriptural basis if we press into God enough and have Him reveal things to us. i guess i always considered Revelation of anything in His word to be something Special, although a superficial understanding of it i think profits us in a limited way.

The Truths can oft be explained simply and at the same time they are interlinked so intimately it's amazing. i tell you saints the realiaztion of this thing has revolutionized the way i look at scripture and things in general. i guess i'm mystic in that sense. Whatever you call it, God has opened up the canon in a way i could never have except His Grace was extended to me.

May He extend even more Grace to you my brethren that His Name may be futher Glorified.AMEN.

2007/8/5 20:28Profile
Search_Me

Re:

I am thankful for the Word of God that has caused me to seek His face and walk in His Glorious Light! Amen!

2007/8/7 0:05Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy