SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Street Preaching For (God's) Dummies!

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
MikeBurns

Phoenix, Arizona

Street Preaching For (God's) Dummies!

Hello Everyone! I have been an evangelist at heart for as long as I can remember. Over the past 8 years to Mormons... For about 2 years now I have felt very lead to get involved in street preaching but didnt know anyone that did it and wasnt sure how to get started.

I ran into a group of traveling street preachers who made me some banners and I jumped in with both feet. I love it so much...I dont think I will ever totally abandon this evangelism style.

So, I am looking for people in my area to hookup with so that we can minister together and offer eachother support. I live in the Phoenix, Arizona area.

I also have another strange question...Most every street preacher I have encountered or found on the net are 99% KJV only fellas or have some other platform to preach on...Gays, Abortion...etc etc. Whats the deal? Why cant we just stick to the gospel? The other topics are a big deal, but isnt the gospel enough alone? I can understand topical preaching if you were at a Gay Pride parade. Still trying to figure it all out... Thanks, Mike :-D

2004/4/30 17:05Profile
KeithLaMothe

Re: Street Preaching For (God's) Dummies!

Another street preacher, praise God :)

Quote:
I also have another strange question...Most every street preacher I have encountered or found on the net are 99% KJV only fellas or have some other platform to preach on...Gays, Abortion...etc etc. Whats the deal? Why cant we just stick to the gospel? The other topics are a big deal, but isnt the gospel enough alone? I can understand topical preaching if you were at a Gay Pride parade. Still trying to figure it all out... Thanks, Mike :-D

I've also noticed that street preachers often have some pet issue or quirk. Sometimes it's relatively minor (I know a guy who treats homosexuality a bit more fiercely than I would, but nothing anti-Scriptural), sometimes it's downright dangerous (I've heard of people who believe, if you're not actively involved in the pro-life movement, you're not saved).

Then again, some might see me and the people I preach with as being too focused on Holiness, but we place so much emphasis on it because we see believe it to be integral to the Gospel and a grossly neglected part at that.

God's grace be with you,
-Keith

2004/4/30 17:52Profile
InTheLight

Phoenix, Arizona USA

Re: Street Preaching For (God's) Dummies!

Quote:
So, I am looking for people in my area to hookup with so that we can minister together and offer eachother support.

How about that, so am I! Check your email Mike. Looking forward to meeting up with you to discuss further.

In Christ,

Ron

2004/4/30 18:10Profile
rocklife

usa

Re:

Praise God for answering the prayer for laborers. You guys are a blessing.

2004/5/1 1:03Profile
CJaKfOrEsT

Melbourne, Australia

Re:

How spooky. I just read this last night :-).
Open-Air Meetings By R. A. Torrey

2004/5/1 8:31Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Torrey's notes are excellent. Can I suggest you think about bus queues. For some years I spent every Saturday morning preaching to a bus queue and neighbouring taxi rank. Among other things it was good training in keeping to the point. My congregation would build up slowly and be taken away regularly every 15 minutes. I could see the bus coming up the hill so it was good practice in bringing the message to a definite end too. :-D

There is something about Street preaching which is absolutely unique. I preferred to use no amplification; the physical aspect of 'lift up your voice and cry aloud' seemed to be a spiritual therapy.

It had its humourous times too. The taxi drivers often complained until one day the police tried to close us down. The taxi drivers immediately sprang to our defence; "leave them alone... why shouldn't they preach if they want to..." It is a historical fact among the early Primitive Methodists of the 19th century that their ill treatment by the authorities often endeared them to the hearts of the ordinary folk.

2004/5/10 15:40Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy