Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : The Seeker's Prayer

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread

The Seeker's Prayer

I recently read this on http://www.wayofthemasterradio.com/

I thought it was worth sharing. God bless you! -Abraham

The Seeker's Prayer
How should lost people pray in order to be saved?
Today we tell people to say a quick prayer and really mean it. Then we congratulate them because they are now in the family of God. This has not always been. What you are about to read may shock you. Dr. John Gerstner , Edwardian Scholar, from volume 3 of The Rational Biblical Theology of Jonathan Edwards presents a Seeker's Prayer. This is radically different than a Sinner's Prayer. This is NOT a prayer for salvation, but a prayer that God would lead you to salvation. You may wish to read Eph. 2:1-10 when you are finished.

Dear God, whom I hate with all my being precisely because you hate and threaten me with hell, I hate this punishment perhaps even more than I hate you. Or, maybe I should say that I love my comfort even more than I hate you. For that reason I am asking a favor of you. I want you to make me love you, whom I hate even when I ask this and even more because I have to ask this. I am being frank with you because I know it is no use to be otherwise. You know even better than I how much I hate you and that I love only myself. It is no use for me to pretend to be sincere. I most certainly do not love you and do not want to love you. I hate the thought of loving you but that is what I'm asking because I love myself. If you can answer this 'prayer' I guess the gift of gratitude will come with it and then I will be able to do what I would not think of doing now—thank you for making me love you whom I hate. Amen.

So, what did you pray when you sought God for the first time?

2007/7/30 19:00
sojourner7

Omaha, NE

Re: The Seeker's Prayer

While God expects sincerity in prayer,
this prayer says in effect "I don't
want God or need God." Not the sort
of prayer of humility and repentance
God is looking for!! :-o

2007/7/30 19:17Profile

Re:

It might seem confusing why someone would even pray a prayer like this... I believe the point that is being made, is that this is the condition of Man's natural-stony heart... and he needs a new heart if he is going to pray with love, humility, and true repentance. And, that's what he's asking for... He's confessing the truth. He hates God, he doesn't love God, and if God is going to save him... God must first freely grant him grace to do that which he cannot do. (because of the slavery and bondage of his unwilling-stony heart)

God bless you! -Abraham

2007/7/30 19:27
sojourner7

Omaha, NE

Re:

I try not to read between lines; guess I
just don't see the change of heart in this
prayer. It may be honest to a fault, but
this man is not willing to come to the cross! :-o

2007/7/30 20:00Profile
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re:

This prayer was specifically written and based upon Edwardian theology (the theology of Jonathan Edwards), and composed by an Edwards scholar for the purposes of showing how Jonathan Edwards might counsel a seeker to pray for salvation.

Quote:
It might seem confusing why someone would even pray a prayer like this

Yes, very. I think the piece as a whole is more a novelty shock-item than anything else. I don't remember having such "hatred for God" impulses in me the day I threw myself on the Mercy Seat. I remember being totally undone and helpless, suicidal...yet strangely aware that God waited all my life for this day to come. No hatred for God -- only desperation, fear, self-loathing, awareness of damnable sin, precious hope that there still might be a blessing for a dirty prodigal like me...

O Hope! And then that glorious warmth began to spread, and I knew I was loved by God and reconciled.

Hope indeed! :-)

Brother Paul

"My God is reconciled, I can no longer fear
He owns me for His child,
His precious voice I hear
With confidence I now draw nigh,
With confidence I now draw nigh
And "Father, Abba, Father" cry."

- C. Wesley

2007/7/30 20:02Profile
sojourner7

Omaha, NE