Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : THE LONELINESS OF THE CHRISTIAN

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
MaryJane

THE LONELINESS OF THE CHRISTIAN

THE LONELINESS OF THE CHRISTIAN
(In locales where there is no Lampstand)

By A.W. Tozer et al

The loneliness of the Christian results from his walk with God in an ungodly world. His God-given instincts cry out for companionship with others of his kind, others who can understand his longings, his aspirations, his absorption in the love of Christ; and because, where there is no legitimate daily church, there are so few who share his inner experiences, and he is forced in this season to walk alone.

The man who lives in His divine Presence in his workaday world, and lives in actual inner experience, will not find many in the general religious world who understand him. He finds few who care to talk about that which is the supreme object of his interest, so he is often silent and preoccupied in the midst of noisy religious shoptalk. For this he earns the reputation of being uninteresting and over-serious, so he is avoided, and the gulf between him and society widens. He searches for friends upon whose garments he can detect the smell of myrrh and aloes and cassia out of the ivory palaces, and finding few or none he, like Mary of old, keeps these things in his heart.

It is this very loneliness that throws him back upon God. His inability to find human companionship where there is not yet true church (Eph.5:27; Mat.16:18) drives him to seek in God what he can find nowhere else.

This really spoke to my heart so much, just thought I would share it with you brothers and sisters here.

God Bless
Mary Jane

2007/7/30 1:53Profile
theopenlife

Re: THE LONELINESS OF THE CHRISTIAN

Thanks so much. Here's the development of my heart.

2007/7/30 2:09Profile
Yeshuasboy

Northern Rockies, BC, Canada

Thankyou very much for these reminders.

God bless you and your family,
richie

2007/7/30 3:23Profile

YES!

Thank you

Jeannette

2007/7/30 18:10

Quote:
It is this very loneliness that throws him back upon God. His inability to find human companionship where there is not yet true church (Eph.5:27; Mat.16:18) drives him to seek in God what he can find nowhere else.

Thanks for sharing this MaryJane, this spoke right to me. God Bless!

2007/7/30 19:22

Re:

The loneliness of a christian, or the isolation of a christian?

2007/7/31 12:14
MSeaman

Michigan

Re:

Quote:

chiefosiners wrote:

what are you asking? *confused*

2007/7/31 12:53Profile

Re:

Quote:

MSeaman wrote:
Quote:

chiefosiners wrote:

what are you asking? *confused*

I'm sorry let me clarify. Is it loneliness due to isolating ones self from others, even family? I'm only asking because I've used the excuse of loneliness when all along it was my own fault. Sometimes in our walk we think by secluding ourselves we somehow are gaining holiness when in fact it can be a trap of the devil to take us out of the picture. Speaking from experience.

2007/8/1 21:37
LoveHim

Indiana, US

Re:

Quote:
I'm sorry let me clarify. Is it loneliness due to isolating ones self from others, even family? I'm only asking because I've used the excuse of loneliness when all along it was my own fault. Sometimes in our walk we think by secluding ourselves we somehow are gaining holiness when in fact it can be a trap of the devil to take us out of the picture. Speaking from experience.

i think that sometimes that might be the case, but sometimes it seems like maybe friends no longer want to hang out because you're gonna bring up that guy "Jesus" or want to "get deep in the word". then it seems like even though they are believers in Christ, you and your friends are going for different things. am i making any sense?? i guess i'm not all for just hanging out and having fun if having fun means that we can't talk about how awesome God is or what God has done lately in our lives because it "ruins" the mood of the party. sorry for the longer answer, but i think that sometimes the Lord just gets us alone that He can teach us and mold us into what He desires.

2007/8/1 23:41Profile
BrokenMan

Re:

To truly follow "hard after God" (per Tozer), it is a very lonely experience. To only want to talk of Him...while others. especially in the Church, want to talk about anything but Him- this is a difficult and lonely walk. However, as those know who have been broken (in will, not in spirit) know so well, He truly comes along side us in our loneliness and makes it all well again. And frankly, even if He did not, I would still follow hard after Him, each moment of each day...

2007/8/2 0:30

2007/8/2 0:36Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy