SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : General Topics : Entertainment

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
hulsey

Missouri

Re:

The link Kire (tears of joy) provided is excellent also and much more extensive.

2007/7/29 22:11Profile
HopePurifies

Georgia, USA

Re: Entertainment

I've found the dictionary definition of entertainment to be edifying.

Merriam-Webster Online:
1 : the act of entertaining
2 a archaic : MAINTENANCE, PROVISION b obsolete : EMPLOYMENT
3 a : amusement or diversion provided especially by performers b : something diverting or engaging: as (1) : a public performance (2) : a usually light comic or adventure novel

Dictionary.com:
1. the act of entertaining; agreeable occupation for the mind; diversion; amusement: Solving the daily crossword puzzle is an entertainment for many.
2. something affording pleasure, diversion, or amusement, esp. a performance of some kind: The highlight of the ball was an elaborate entertainment.
3. hospitable provision for the needs and wants of guests.
4. a divertingly adventurous, comic, or picaresque novel.

WordNet
an activity that is diverting and that holds the attention

See, I don't know about you, but I see a lot of dangerous things just looking at the nature and purpose of entertainment. Diversion... holding our attention... pleasing (the flesh)....
I think that we can do BETTER than entertainment... I don't mean to sound like one of those ear-scratchers (for itching ears... you know) bragging that Christians basically one-up the world in everything. But we can engage our minds on godly things and the things above, we can peacefully meditate on the scriptures, we can sing praises to our God, we can fellowship and bless other believers, we can pray, we can do God's work... it is just a better life and theres no getting around it. Sitting and watching the TV or movies just isn't as cool.
With a life as short as ours, and being bought with the precious blood of Christ... do we dare waste our time getting caught up in such drivel?

2007/7/29 22:58Profile
BrokenOne

Baton Rouge, Louisiana

Re:

This is something that blessed me very much when I first saw it posted. I thought it might fit well here.

Spurgeon, "The Love of God and the Patience of Christ"

If you receive the love of God fully into your
souls it will nourish the contemplative life.

You will want to be alone.

You will prefer to sit silently at Jesus' feet
while others wrangle over the little politics
of the day. You will give up being busy
bodies, talking in six peoples' houses in
an hour.

Quietude will charm you.

You will love no company so much as the
society of Him who is the Best and the Most.

To be with God in quiet will be your highest
enjoyment. You will not say, as some do,
"I must have recreation."

Contemplation of God is
recreation to the child of God.

It creates the soul anew. And is not
this the truest recreation?

Love to God will nourish the contemplative
life and so make us come forth as new
creatures, fresh from our Maker's holy hand.

2007/7/29 23:01Profile
BrokenOne

Baton Rouge, Louisiana

Re:

Quote:
With a life as short as ours, and being bought with the precious blood of Christ... do we dare waste our time getting caught up in such drivel?

I guess that depends on if we really believe that we will have to give account of our stewardship of this life. I was just reading this verse tonight:

For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ, that each one may receive the things done in the body, according to what he has done, whether good or bad. 2 Corinthians 5:10

That should make us reconsider indulging in the things the world has to offer as entertainment.

Danielle

2007/7/29 23:10Profile
sojourner7

Omaha, NE

Re:

Diversion. One of the devil's favorite
tools. Our focus as believers and followers
of Christ should be what will best glorify
and serve my Lord and Master's purpose??
We don't need any further diversion's
lets be devoted and disciplined!~! :-P

2007/7/29 23:21Profile

Re:

Quote:

(tears of joy) provided is excellent also and much more extensive.

I thought it was just a single post, but it goes on and on, I grabbed the whole thing in acrobat.

[url=http://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic_pdf.php?topic_id=2825&forum=34]AWT: entertainment [/url]

right on...!

2007/7/30 0:11

Re:

Quote:

sojourner7 wrote:

I agree, but this is not diversion, this is simply other Brothers and Sister's giving biblical insight and thought to use of entertainment. The moderators are usually good at taking care of dividing posts. be blessed.

2007/7/30 0:17

Re:

People today act like they cant live without TV, movies or music. All these things [b]can[/b] be used to the glory of God... but usually they are not.

Whats interesting is that 100 years ago none of these things existed. Well, music did, but you actually had to create it yourself.

What did people do when the day was done? The family gathered together and read books, and often times that book was the Bible.

Society was not perfect and godly back then, but it was a far cry from what we have today!

I have a brother-in-law who is a "tech-head", as I call him. He has to have the latest of everything. He has to have an i-phone, has to have a gigantic projection TV, a playstation 3, the latest black-berry, etc etc.

I admit... there is nothing like watching a football game on his gigantic TV... it's pretty cool... but I dont think I could ever buy one of things and be able to maintain my relationship with Christ. I dont think I could ever justify it. And my brother-in-law claims to be a believer. I dont judge his relationship with God, I'm just saying... I couldnt do it. He thinks my wife and I are a bit extreme with our faith. I think he's a bit extreme with his need to be entertained 24/7.

He and his wife need to have some kids... that will change things. lol

Krispy

2007/7/30 7:47
HopePurifies

Georgia, USA

Re:

Quote:

ce4 wrote:
Quote:

sojourner7 wrote:

I agree, but this is not diversion, this is simply other Brothers and Sister's giving biblical insight and thought to use of entertainment. The moderators are usually good at taking care of dividing posts. be blessed.

He was talking about entertainment. Entertainment = diversion. Referring to the dictionary definition given. Not to the posts. ^_^

2007/7/30 12:10Profile

Re:

Quote:

HopePurifies wrote:

He was talking about entertainment. Entertainment = diversion. Referring to the dictionary definition given. Not to the posts. ^_^

Oh I get it now, I thought I was missing something. There is much to learn on this, I am seeing.

2007/7/30 15:38

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy