SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Where was Joseph?

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
murdog

Fort Frances, Ontario

Where was Joseph?

Saints,

I was just reading in Luke about the crucifixion and it was talking about Mary being present, but my question is where was Joseph?

There is really not alot of mention of him, other than around the time of Jesus's birth.

Am I missing something?

Murray

2007/7/29 1:42Profile

Re: Where was Joseph?

Most theologians believe that Joseph was probably quite a bit older than Mary, and that he may have passed away by the time Jesus was an adult, or at least by the time He began His ministry.

Remember, from the cross Jesus told one of His disciples to care for His mother...

[b]Joh 19:26-27[/b] [i]When Jesus therefore saw his mother, and the disciple standing by, whom he loved, he saith unto his mother, Woman, behold thy son! Then saith he to the disciple, Behold thy mother! And from that hour that disciple took her unto his own home.[/i]

If Joseph was still alive this would not have been necessary.

Krispy

2007/7/29 9:06
murdog

Fort Frances, Ontario

Re:

Krispy,

Thanks. If Joseph was alive at the time of the crucifixion, I'm sure he would have been there.

That makes alot of sense about Jesus telling his disciples to care for his Mother. She must have been a widow.

Murray

2007/7/29 13:58Profile

Re:

We have to keep this in context as well because I know Catholics who say this prooves Jesus had no siblings (meaning Mary was a virgin her whole life) because if He did they would have taken her in.

But they are ignoring other scriptures that refer to Jesus "brethren" in obvious reference to his siblings.

[b]Matthew 13:55-56[/b] [i]Is not this the carpenter's son? is not his mother called Mary? and his brethren, James, and Joses, and Simon, and Judas? And his sisters, are they not all with us? Whence then hath this man all these things?[/i]

Also, scripture says that Joseph did not "know" (had sex with) Mary [b]"until"[/b] after Jesus was born.

The Catholic Church claims that these references to Mary & Joseph's sex life and other children is metaphorical. Well, if we're going to approach scripture that way, then it could easily be reasoned that the term "Son of God" is a metaphor as well.

Krispy

2007/7/30 7:26

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy