SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Verse out of context?

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
murdog

Fort Frances, Ontario

Verse out of context?

Saints,

I was just reading Romans 8, and you know in verse 28 which is quoted so often. "And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose."

Maybe it's just me, but whenever that was quoted and I believe it to be intentional; was that if you love Jesus, everything will work out for the best. Therein lies the problem, I took it to mean those who love Him would have life of ease or things would work out the way you hoped they would. But it says God works for the good of those who love him, which is usually the worst in our natural minds. He knows what is best for us, but when we are being refined in the fire, it burns.

In verse 29 it says "to be conformed to the likeness of his Son". It is safe to assume that to be conformed to the likeness of his Son, will be a painful process, especially with all that flesh in the way.

Murray

2007/7/27 10:01Profile
lejfricke

Chantilly, Virginia

Re: Verse out of context?

I've definitely heard this taken out of context many times, usually when a 'trial' is coming on someone's life and they want it to blow over because The Word 'promises' that all things will 'work out'.

Half-truths of the gospel cause more problems and confusion than needed... and of course the Word is accurate and inerrant in all of its promises, but I guess people need to remember it's not about us, it says: 'called according to His purpose...' not our purpose.

2007/7/27 10:22Profile
reformer

When I was thinking of what you were saying I thought of:

Phil.1:6 " For I am confindent of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus."

Eph. 1:11 " also we have obtained an inheritance, having been predestined according to His purpose who works all things after the counsel of His will."

I think to get a better contextual thought of that scripture we need to look at verses 26 and 27. We have victory through Jesus Christ and he will sanctify us to His will and purpose.
But, we know that what pain or valley we may experience in our walk with the Lord, He uses those times to grow us and stretch us to his purpose. I do believe we can have a situation that is difficult and God can turn it into His glory.

4 For by these He has granted to us His precious and magnificent promises, in order that by them you might become partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world by lust. 5 Now for this very reason also, applying all diligence, in your faith supply moral excellence, and in your moral excellence, knowledge; 6 and in your knowledge, self-control, and in your self-control, perseverance, and in your perseverance, godliness; 7 and in your godliness, brotherly kindness, and in your brotherly kindness, love.
2 Peter 1:4-7 (NASB77)

2007/7/27 10:29Profile
MSeaman

Michigan

I've always took this verse to mean, that no matter how bad your circumstances are, God has a purpose for it and it will turn out for your good even if you can't see the good at that time. Our goal is to be conformed to the image of Christ and usually it takes suffering of some kind for that to happen...

That made sense to me, I hope it makes sense to everyone else who reads it.

2007/7/27 10:30Profile
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re:

When I think of Romans 8:28, I immediately think of Joseph in an Egyptian prison, in a pit. I think of Joseph stripped of his coat of many colors and tied to a filthy Ishamaelite camel caravan. God allowed all these things to happen to him for the ultimate working of a greater, albeit unseen purpose. If we patiently endure trials with humility and godliness, we too will see God work utterly amazing feats in [i]our[/i] life. We will then fall on our faces and worship Him and genuinely acknowledge that "all things [i]indeed[/i] work together for the good of those who honor and love God!"

Brother Paul

2007/7/27 10:38Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy