SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Salute VS Godspeed

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
PreachParsly

Arkansas

Salute VS Godspeed

Mat 5:47 And if ye salute your brethren only, what do ye more than others? do not even the publicans so?

2Jn 1:10 If there come any unto you, and bring not this doctrine, receive him not into your house, neither bid him Godspeed:
2Jn 1:11 For he that biddeth him Godspeed is partaker of his evil deeds.

Jesus tells us that we should salute more than our brethern only. John tells us not to bid someone Godspeed that doesn't bring "this doctrine." I realize that salute and Godspeed are translated from two different words. I was wondering if anyone could give any insight on what exactually is the difference.

G782
ἀσπάζομαι
aspazomai
as-pad'-zom-ahee
From G1 (as a particle of union) and a presumed form of G4685; to enfold in the arms, that is, (by implication) to salute, (figuratively) to welcome: - embrace, greet, [b]salute,[/b] take leave.

G5463
χαίρω
chairō
khah'ee-ro
A primary verb; to be full of “cheer”, that is, calmly happy or well off; impersonal especially as a salutation (on meeting or parting), be well: - farewell, be glad, [b]God speed[/b], greeting, hail, joy (-fully), rejoice.

Is 'aspazomai' a mere 'hello', while 'chairō' is 'I wish the best for you'?

2007/7/26 21:57Profile
theopenlife

Re: Salute VS Godspeed

Stab in the dark:

To "salute" is to acknowledge the equality or respect of either humanity, citizenship, organization, or creature-hood of oneself with another.

To bid Godspeed is to encourage another in his activities, and in this case, his religious activities.

Thus, I salute an unbeliever as a fellow man under God. I welcome him to freely enjoy all of the graces of God which have come upon myself. However, I will never bid God's speed and blessing upon an unbeliever set in his heretical evangelism.

2007/7/26 23:04Profile
PreachParsly

Arkansas

Re:

Quote:

theopenlife wrote:
Stab in the dark:

To "salute" is to acknowledge the equality or respect of either humanity, citizenship, organization, or creature-hood of oneself with another.

To bid Godspeed is to encourage another in his activities, and in this case, his religious activities.

Thus, I salute an unbeliever as a fellow man under God. I welcome him to freely enjoy all of the graces of God which have come upon myself. However, I will never bid God's speed and blessing upon an unbeliever set in his heretical evangelism.

Thanks for the response. That's just about how I would view it. I am looking for a little bit of technical information about the words. Surely the word translated God speed is a more intimate word....

2007/7/27 10:57Profile
PreachParsly

Arkansas

Re:

Anyone else have any insight?

2007/7/28 12:21Profile
Nile

Raleigh, NC

Re: Salute VS Godspeed

Quote:
2Jn 1:10 If there come any unto you, and bring not this doctrine, receive him not into your house, neither bid him Godspeed:
2Jn 1:11 For he that biddeth him Godspeed is partaker of his evil deeds.

I read that verse no less than an hour and a half ago and wondered the same thing you did!

2007/7/28 12:48Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy