SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : Tozer quotes

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
hmmhmm

Sweden

Tozer quotes

"To understand a Bible text it takes an act of the Holy Spirit equal to the act that inspired the text in the first place. A revelation of the Holy Spirit in one glorious flash of inward illumination would teach you more of Jesus than five years in a theological seminary." The Tozer Pulpit, Vol II

"If you have to be reasoned into Christianity, some wise fellow can reason you out of it. If you come to Christ by a flash of the Holy Ghost so that by intuition you know that you are God's child, you know it by the text but you also know it by the inner light, the inner illumination of the Spirit, and no one can ever reason you out of it." The Tozer Pulpit, Vol II

"Indeed I wonder whether there is anything taught in any seminary on earth that could not be learned by a brigand or a swindler as well as by a consecrated Christian... It does not strain my imagination to think of Judas Iscariot as coming out of school with a Th.B., if such a thing had been offered in his day." The Need For Divine Illumination

"When the Spirit illuminates the heart, then a part of the man sees which never saw before; a part of him knows which never knew before, and that with a kind of knowing which the most acute thinker cannot imitate." The Divine Conquest

"There is a difference between the intellectual knowledge of God and the Spirit-revealed knowledge... modern orthodoxy has made a great blunder in the erroneous assumption that spiritual truths can be intellectually perceived... until a man receives that illumination -- that inward enlightenment -- he will not have anything because Bible study does not, of itself, lift the veil or penetrate it... there is the Christ whom only the Spirit can reveal... you may be convinced that He is the Son of God and still never find Him as the living Person He is. Jesus Christ must be revealed by the Holy Ghost -- no man knows the things of God but by the Holy Ghost... the final flash that introduces your heart to Jesus must be by that illumination of the Holy Spirit Himself, or it isn't done at all." The Tozer Pulpit, Vol II

"You cannot read the Scriptures with a spirit of Adam, for the Scriptures were inspired by the Spirit of God. One little flash of the Holy Ghost will give you more inward, divine illumination on the meaning of the text than all the commentators that ever commented." The Tozer Pulpit, Vol II

"In the Scriptures and in church history, persons filled with the Spirit always knew they were filled, and it was an instantaneous act, not a gradual filling... God does not come rushing into a human heart unless He knows that He is the answer and fulfillment to the greatest, most overpowering desire of that life." The Tozer Pulpit, Vol II

"I wouldn't believe an archangel if he came to me with a wingspread of twelve feet, shining like an atomic bomb just at the moment of its explosion, if he couldn't give me chapter and verse... The Holy Spirit who inspired the Scriptures will expect obedience to the Scriptures... The Holy Spirit will expect obedience to the Word of God." The Tozer Pulpit, Vol II

"Let me solemnly tell you that the Holy Ghost never works with mere talent... much that passes for the gospel in our day is very little more than a mild case of orthodox religion grafted onto a heart that is sold out to the world in its pleasures and tastes and ambitions." The Tozer Pulpit, Vol II

"The Holy Ghost wrote the Word, and if you make much of the Word, He will make much of you." The Tozer Pulpit, Vol II

"The world knows nothing about the Holy Ghost... The best that we have in the world, our universities, our humanitarian societies, the best we have apart from the new birth, apart from the presence of God in the life of a man, is only corruption, and the wrath of God is upon it. The world cannot receive the Spirit of God." The Tozer Pulpit, Vol II

"I think the difference is in the emphasis of the major miracle which we ought to expect in genuine Christian conversion. Those old-timers would not have believed if a major miracle had not taken place. They would never have been willing to accept a pale and apologetic kind of believing on the Son of God. They insisted on a miracle taking place within the human breast. They knew what Peter meant when he said that the Lord God has begotten us unto a living hope." The Tozer Pulpit, Vol II

"Brethren, Let's not forget that the new birth is a miracle -- a major miracle! Peter in describing it relates it to the miracle of Jesus Christ rising from the dead. So there is a divine principle here -- the fact that a man truly born again is a man who has experienced regenesis, supernatural regenesis. Just as God generated the heavens and the earth in the beginning. He regenerates again in the breast of the believing man!" The Tozer Pulpit, Vol II

"Brethren, creation is the setting forth of Jesus Christ as Lord and Sovereign, for Jesus Christ is the purpose of God in creation!" The Tozer Pulpit, Vol II

"Let me tell you straight out that Jesus Christ will never stand at the right side of a plus sign. If you will insist upon adding some plus to your faith in Jesus Christ, He will walk away in His holy dignity. He will ever refuse to be considered the other part of a plus sign. If your trust is in the plus -- something added -- then you do not possess Jesus Christ." The Tozer Pulpit, Vol II

"The purpose and work of redemption in Christ Jesus is to raise man as much above the level of Adam as Christ Himself is above the level of Adam." The Tozer Pulpit, Vol II

"It is an amazing thing that Jesus Christ claimed that He never left the bosom of the Father. He said the Son of Man, who is in the bosom of the Father, hath declared it. While Jesus was upon earth, walking as a man among men, by the mystery of the ever-present God and the indivisible substance of Deity, He could remain in the bosom of the Father, and He did." The Tozer Pulpit, Vol II

"Man's hopeless condition cannot be perfected by some process of social regeneration -- it must be brought about through the miraculous process of individual regeneration." The Tozer Pulpit, Vol II

"Contrary to the opinion held by many would-be religious leaders in the world, Christianity was never intended to be an ethical system with Jesus Christ at the head... it is Jesus Christ Himself that Christianity offers you... all Christianity offers is Jesus Christ the Lord, and Him alone -- for He is enough!" The Tozer Pulpit, Vol II

"Jesus Christ is no longer on trial before men - men are now on trial before Him!" The Tozer Pulpit, Vol II

"The believer's faith in the deity and person of Jesus does not rest upon his ability to comb through history and arrive at logical conclusions concerning historical facts. The Holy Ghost will blaze in on him like a lightning flash, blinding him with the wonder of it!" The Tozer Pulpit, Vol II

"Saving faith is not a conclusion drawn from facts presented; saving faith is a gift of God to a penitent man or woman." The Tozer Pulpit, Vol II

"There isn't anything quite so chilling, quite so disheartening as a man without the Holy Spirit preaching about the Holy Spirit." The Tozer Pulpit, Vol I

"In that great and terrible day, there will be those white with shock when they find that they have depended upon a mental assent to Christianity instead of upon the miracle of the new birth." The Tozer Pulpit, Vol I

"Whenever I find men running to science to find support for the Bible, I know they are rationalists and not true believers!" The Tozer Pulpit, Vol I

"The scientist has nothing he can tell me about Jesus Christ, our Lord. There is nothing he can add, and I do not need to appeal to him." The Tozer Pulpit, Vol I

"Jesus will never qualify or compromise anything he has said." The Tozer Pulpit, Vol I

"A Christian is one who dedicates himself to God to inhabit another world, and that's why we get called many of the names that we do!" The Tozer Pulpit, Vol I

"The tree that is blown down in the storm is rotten in its heart or it wouldn't be blown down. And the church that falls because of persecution is a church that was dead before it fell." The Tozer Pulpit, Vol I

"Worship seeks union with its beloved, and an active effort to close the gap between the heart and the God it adores is worship at its best." The Tozer Pulpit, Vol I

"Contrary to the opinion held by many would-be religious leaders in the world, Christianity was never intended to be an ethical system with Jesus Christ at the head... all Christianity offers is Jesus Christ the Lord, and Him alone - for He is enough." The Tozer Pulpit, Vol II

"Paul said if any man thinketh that he amounts to anything, let him know that he won't amount to anything until he gets over it! That's paraphrased, but that is approximately what Paul said." The Tozer Pulpit, Vol I

"I am of the firm opinion that no church should be occupied with politics, literature, philosophy, art. It is our belief that the church - and that must also mean any local church - should be devoted exclusively to God and things eternal." The Tozer Pulpit, Vol I

"Let him [the minister] seek to identify his prophetic office with politics, or place his power at the disposal of a party, and he violates his office and confuses his own face. Then he speaks as a discredited prophet, and not all his pretensions to omniscience can disguise the Babel in his voice." The Tozer Pulpit, Vol I

"We need to remember that it is possible to have some kind of external religious experience that immunizes you to the new birth, and puts you where you will never be born again, because you think you are already born again." The Tozer Pulpit, Vol I

"The spiritual faculties of the unregenerate man lie asleep in his nature, unused and for every purpose dead; that is the stroke which has fallen upon us by sin. They may be quickened to active life again by the operation of the Holy Spirit in regeneration; that is one of the immeasurable benefits which come to us through Christ's atoning work on the cross." The Pursuit Of God

"I hear people testify that they give their tithe because God makes their nine-tenths go farther than the ten-tenths. That is not spirituality; that is just plain business. I insist that it is a dangerous thing to associate the working of God with our prosperity and success down here." I Talk Back To The Devil

"I hear people testify about their search for the deeper Christian life... But there isn't any such thing. There is a cross." I Talk Back To The Devil
"Supernatural grace has been the teaching of the Church from Pentecost to the present hour." The Tozer Pulpit, Vol I

"Just the moment that a man's experience in Christ can be broken down and explained by the psychologists, we have a church member on our hands - and not a Christian." The Tozer Pulpit, Vol I

"You can find more carnal, unregenerate, self-centered characters who have religion and are sensitive toward it than you can bury in the Grand Canyon." The Tozer Pulpit, Vol I

"All of the Christians I meet who are amounting to anything for God are Christians who are very much out of key with their age - very, very much out of tune with their generation... If you can fit into it too comfortably, I am forced to wonder whether the miracle has ever been wrought in your life." The Tozer Pulpit, Vol I

"If you are going to heaven, you had better begin to live like it now, and if you are going to die like a Christian, you had better live like a Christian now." The Tozer Pulpit, Vol I

"The difference between faith as it is found in the New Testament and faith as it is found now is that faith in the New Testament actually produced something - there was a confirmation of it." The Tozer Pulpit, Vol I

"Religion without guilt is a religion that cannot escape hell for it deceives and finally destroys all who are a part of it." The Tozer Pulpit, Vol II
"God, being who He is, must always be sought for Himself, never as a means toward something else... Whoever seeks God as a means toward desired ends will not find God... The mighty God, the maker of heaven and earth... will not aid men in their selfish striving after personal gain... Yet popular Christianity has as one of its most effective talking points the idea that God exists to help people get ahead in this world." The Dwelling Place of God

"Do you realize that your faith is a gift from God? You should look upon your faith as a miracle. It is the ability God gives lost men and women to trust and obey our Saviour and Lord... And Jesus is the author of our faith." Jesus, Author Of Our Faith

"It is quite possible to lead people into the mistake of placing their faith in faith itself... It is not proper to magnify faith if in doing so we forget that our confidence as believers is not in the power of faith but in the person and work of our Saviour, Jesus Christ." Jesus, Author Of Our Faith

"Faith does not rest upon promises. Faith rests upon character. Faith must rest in confidence upon the One who makes the promises... we must be concerned with the person and character of God and not just with His promises. Through promises we learn what God has willed to us, we learn what we may claim as our heritage, we learn how we should pray. But faith itself must rest upon the character of our God." Jesus, Author Of Our Faith

"Faith in God is to be demonstrated, not defined." Jesus, Author Of Our Faith

"Christian believers have an answer born from their scriptural perspective. They are not afraid to declare that at the door of the kingdom of God man's reason is dethroned. For those who are living a life of faith and have found fellowship with God, human reason is no longer king. Instead, reason becomes a servant... Once those persons enter the kingdom of God by faith, reason becomes a useful servant -- no longer ruling them as a false god." Jesus, Author Of Our Faith

"God Himself, through the Holy Spirit, points out a universal human problem: the natural brotherhood of human beings is a sinful brotherhood. It is a brotherhood of all who are spiritually lost." Jesus, Author Of Our Faith

"Enoch could have written a book on human loneliness... Believing Christians with true faith in God know very well the meaning of loneliness." Jesus, Author Of Our Faith

"If we are satisfied to settle down and become weak victims amid the sins of our generation, we will die with our generation." Jesus, Author Of Our Faith

"The Christian gospel always has been and must continue to be a gospel of alarm. The Christian gospel cannot always be a gospel of honey and sweetness!... The gospel message is a gospel of hope and good news to those who respond and believe. But the gospel message is starkly plain to those who do not believe." Jesus, Author Of Our Faith

"Holy fear is a kind of faith closely associated with high moral wisdom. It can only be the part of wisdom for a human being to fear irrecoverable spiritual loss. It is a wise kind of fear that is willing to consider the meaning of permanent and eternal separation from God, the source of all good." Jesus, Author Of Our Faith

"In my own contemplations, though, I have found great comfort in the doctrine of prevenient grace. Prevenient grace, simply stated, is the belief that before a sinful man or woman can seek God, God must first have sought the man or woman... If God had not in His own way first moved toward Abraham, Abraham would never have moved toward God." Jesus, Author Of Our Faith

"Most people seem to have come to terms with an acceptance of religion if it does not have the cross of Christ within it... But when God calls out men and women, their faith will be an offense to the world." Jesus, Author Of Our Faith
"The greater your contentment with your daily circumstances in this world, the greater your defection from the ranks of God's pilgrims en route to a city whose architect and builder is God Himself!" Jesus, Author Of Our Faith

"God has never in the past done anything good in response to faith that He is unwilling to do again. Let me turn that around and say it this way: Everything good that God has done in the past in response to faith, He is willing to do again. We need only believe and obey." Jesus, Author Of Our Faith

"The only person who is incurably sick is the one who thinks he or she is well." Jesus, Author Of Our Faith

"It is hard for a rich church to understand that her Lord was a poor man. Were He to appear today on our city streets as He appeared in Jerusalem, He would in all probability be picked up for vagrancy. Were He to teach here what He taught the multitudes about money, he would be blacklisted by churches, Bible conferences and missionary societies everywhere as unrealistic, fanatical and dangerous to organized religion." The Warfare Of The Spirit

"To court a Christian for his financial contributions is as evil a thing as to marry a man for his money." The Warfare Of The Spirit

"Anyone can do the possible; add a bit of courage and zeal and some may do the phenomenal; only Christians are obliged to do the impossible." The Warfare Of The Spirit

"Today we evangelicals are showing signs that we are becoming too rich and too prominent for our own good. With a curious disregard for the lessons of history we are busy fighting for recognition by the world and acceptance by society... Evangelical Christianity is fast becoming the religion of the bourgeoisie. The well-to-do, the upper middle classes, the politically prominent, the celebrities are accepting our religion by the thousands and parking their expensive cars outside our church doors, to the uncontrollable glee of our religious leaders who seem completely blind to the fact that the vast majority of these new patrons of the Lord of glory have not altered their moral habits in the slightest nor given any evidence of true conversion that would have been accepted by the saintly fathers who built the churches." The Warfare Of The Spirit

"I would rather be a serous-minded dolt concerned about eternal life than to be an overpaid jester with nothing better to do than to make men laugh and forget that they must die and come to judgment." The Warfare Of The Spirit

"To the one who is advanced enough to hear it I would say, never let anyone become necessary to you... never attach yourself to any man as a parasite. Adopt no man as a guru... I repeat, never let any man become necessary to you. Christ alone is necessary. Apart from Him we are completely wretched; without Him we cannot live and dare not die." The Warfare Of The Spirit
"Instead of putting the cross on that hill outside Jerusalem, Jesus puts the cross in our lives, where it belongs... When He arose from the dead and ascended to the right hand of God the Father, that wooden cross had no further meaning in the mind of God. None at all!... But there remains a very real cross. It is the cross you take and the cross I take as we follow our Lord Jesus who willingly took His cross... When that cross on the hill has been transformed by the miraculous grace of the Holy Spirit into the cross in the heart, then we begin to know something of its true meaning and it will become to us the cross of power." Jesus, Author Of Our Faith

"Only God is holy absolutely; all other beings can be holy only in relative degrees. The angels in heaven do not possess God's holiness. They are created beings and they are contented to reflect the glory of God. That is their holiness." Jesus, Author Of Our Faith

"God's holy nature is unique. He is of a substance not shared by any other being. Hence, God can be known only as He reveals Himself. There is absolutely no other way for us to know Him." Jesus, Author Of Our Faith

2007/7/26 18:07Profile
tjservant

Indiana USA

Re: Tozer quotes

If the church in the second half of this century is to recover from the injuries she suffered in the first half, there must appear a new type of preacher. The proper, ruler-of-the-synagogue type will never do. Neither will the priestly type of man who carries out his duties, takes his pay and asks no questions, nor the smooth-talking pastoral type who knows how to make the Christian religion acceptable to everyone. All these have been tried and found wanting. Another kind of religious leader must arise among us. He must be of the old prophet type, a man who has seen visions of God and has heard a voice from the Throne. When he comes (and I pray God there will be not one but many) he will stand in flat contradiction to everything our smirking, smooth civilization holds dear. He will contradict, denounce and protest in the name of God and will earn the hatred and opposition of a large segment of Christendom.

A. W. Tozer

2007/7/26 18:18Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy