SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Denny Kenaston/Charity Churches

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
moreofHim

Denny Kenaston/Charity Churches

Hello all. I am sincerely not wanting to start controversy here, but i am searching for truth. I started listening to the Godly Home series by Kenaston - which seen very good- yet a red flag or two was raised in my spirit. Now this just may be my own doubts, I don't know. But it did cause me to look up some info on Mr Kenaston and Charity Ministries. I found this article - which is a booklet- written by Rick Freidrich who started the Truth in Heart website. I am familiar with Truth in Heart from previous reasearch about Finny and Edwards. I don't know Mr. Freidrich personally but he seems to me a trustworthy man. But I know I could be wrong. I also found his discussions on a forum discussing cults. He is 'aletheainnheart' on the forum (and you have to scroll down a bit to read his responses).

It seems that he and his wife are not the only ones who have had a bad experience with Charity churches (including accusations of spiritual abuse). I really don't know what to make of it.

Yes, I know that there will be naysayers and persecution for those who are giving out truth, but something does not set right with me here. If any one knows any more info. I would appreciate it. I do feel that they subscribe to more of a christian perfection doctrine- of which I lean more toward reformed doctrine.

I hope I have not caused anyone to stumble and i do not want to smear anyone's name if they are innocent. I am truly seeking out the truth in this matter and maybe even warn others if they are not aware.

I am sure there are many good things that charity ministries promotes but I think it is wise to stay away from extremes if they are not biblical.

[url=http://truthinheart.com/Remnant/index.html]Truth In Heart Article[/url]
[url=http://www.factnet.org/discus/messages/3/2119.html?1184302268]Forum discussion[/url]

In Christ, Chanin

2007/7/25 11:38Profile
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re: Denny Kenaston/Charity Churches

Quote:
Hello all. I am sincerely not wanting to start controversy here, but i am searching for truth. I started listening to the Godly Home series by Kenaston - which seen very good- yet a red flag or two was raised in my spirit. Now this just may be my own doubts, I don't know. But it did cause me to look up some info on Mr Kenaston and Charity Ministries. I found this article - which is a booklet- written by Rick Freidrich who started the Truth in Heart website. I am familiar with Truth in Heart from previous reasearch about Finny and Edwards. I don't know Mr. Freidrich personally but he seems to me a trustworthy man. But I know I could be wrong. I also found his discussions on a forum discussing cults. He is 'aletheainnheart' on the forum (and you have to scroll down a bit to read his responses).

Sister,

Brother Denny Kenaston and the charity gospel fellowships are of the spirit of the old anabaptists. They have alot of strict interpretations of scriptures and the practical outflow of how they should look. They are known also as the "plain clothing" movement which simply means they dress very plain in their fellowships and this can be a point of contention with others.

I personally believe that they are seeking God in a beautiful way! with that said I am not of the conviction that everyone in christendom needs to act, dress and believe every jot and tittle that they believe. They are a special blessing to the body of Christ and I enjoy them and fellow-shipping with them. If a person would feel towards joining them in their fellowship and practices it is a great thing. But if a person is not in unity of spirit with them then it could lead to division and not fitting in.

The few good brothers I have met that have dis-fellowshiped the charity gospel ministries has been as much their fault as the other. I hope that helps!

2007/7/25 11:58Profile
moreofHim

Re: Denny Kenaston

Thanks for your quick response, Greg. Do you happen to know this Rick Freidich as well? I also got the picture that some of the problems lay with other leaders in Charity churches, not necessarily Denny himself.

I can see where some would see this as a beautiful way of living - such as the Amish- but I am also concerned that followers of Christ are maybe living by extra-biblical rules and laws. Does this not interfere with the simplicity of Christ that Paul talked about?

Just curiosity I guess.

In His love, Chanin

2007/7/25 12:40Profile
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
Thanks for your quick response, Greg. Do you happen to know this Rick Freidich as well? I also got the picture that some of the problems lay with other leaders in Charity churches, not necessarily Denny himself.

I have talked to him through email a few times but have not had alot of time to discuss with him about the issue of the charity fellowships.

Quote:
I can see where some would see this as a beautiful way of living - such as the Amish- but I am also concerned that followers of Christ are maybe living by extra-biblical rules and laws. Does this not interfere with the simplicity of Christ that Paul talked about?

Here is what I believe simply is that they are living and doing things in a way that can be beautiful and godly when submitted to Christ, but once they begin to impose that rules on people that they have a liberty to follow they make their brother and sister stumble. This is the principle paul taught in 1 corinthians with food offered to idols.

2007/7/25 13:05Profile
moreofHim

Re: charity churches

yes, I agree. If it is not imposed on others- but from what i have read- it is imposed and christians are made to feel like they may lose their slavation if they do not follow these rules. Plus the heirarchy that is in place in these churches. I don't mean to argue at all. I am just concerned for those who may be involved in these churches and are in constant fear of losing their salvation at every turn. And maybe they do not want to follow "Remnant" or Charity ways anymore- are they made to feel like they are wrong. It seems from they way they call themselves the 'remnant' that they believe they are the only ones who know the truth and are living it.

Thanks for your patience.

In His love, Chanin

2007/7/25 13:15Profile
Koheleth

NC

Our family has never been part of the Charity church. However, we know Denny and others personally.

Anyway, I am glad to see that you are sincerely seeking the truth. I will offer a few comments for you to consider.

Quote:
but from what i have read- it is imposed and christians are made to feel like they may lose their salvation if they do not follow these rules.

First, please do not make judgments based on what is posted online about other Christians. Such comments are often emotional, bitter, and reactionary. A calm spirit of Christian discernment is needed if we really want to arrive at the truth. Charity are really much broader in their love and acceptance than people seem to label them. I believe this is a definite reaction against standards and unity. I find that Christians who use the word "impose", as you mentioned, simply do not believe in leadership as defined by the New Testament. I have found that a face-to-face discussion with many of these individuals reveals a "nobody is going to tell me what to do" spirit. I believe it is much less a question of something really being imposed versus a question of willingness to "be of one mind and speak the same thing" or unity in the body of Christ under godly leadership. We could say that anything that goes against the self is an imposition.

Quote:
Plus the heirarchy that is in place in these churches.

There is no hierarchy per se. There are elders and deacons and others who are recognized as mature brothers. Charity is considered a distinctly Anabaptist church, so you will find that flavor there, but I guess you will find Pentecostal flavor in Pentecostal churches and so forth.

Quote:
I am just concerned for those who may be involved in these churches and are in constant fear of losing their salvation at every turn.

None of this exists among the leadership at various Charity churches. I have never met a saint from there who is "in constant fear of losing their salvation". Most of the families we know from Charity are very strong in Christ and secure in their salvation.

Quote:
It seems from they way they call themselves the 'remnant' that they believe they are the only ones who know the truth and are living it.

You really need to meet them before passing such judgments. I went to hear Denny preach a message earlier this year and one of his points was that any church that believes they are the only ones who have the truth are in grave danger.

In brief, you might find a few of the Anabaptist practices not to your familiarity, but overall Charity represents a solid and biblical Christian experience and Denny is a great preacher. His best messages are not on the godly home, but on Christ, worship, surrender/service/sacrifice, and missions (usually intertwined). Maybe I will recommend a few hidden gems sometime. Please remember I am not an advocate for Charity nor do I have any preference for them over another group, but I also am not an advocate for misinformation and slander, which I believe they unjustly receive plenty of.

[edited]

2007/7/25 14:34Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re: The Remnant

http://www.charityministries.org/theremnant/index.a5w

Have been receiving The Heartbeat of the Remnant magazine for a couple of years now, think Greg very well stated it as did Koheleth from what I might gather. It has been a tremendous blessing, not any different from the great articles that are presented here. The occasional article on dress and music, what have you ...

2007/7/25 16:33Profile
moreofHim

Re: Denny Kenaston and Charity

Thank you all for your responses. I must assume from what Koheleth wrote that the article written by Rick Freidrich and the statements made by others who have come out of Charity churches are either not true or exaggerated.

I definitely did not intend for Mr Kenaston's name to be slandered(which i stated in my first post).

I only used the word 'imposed' because Greg used it in his post. I am in no way making judgements on Charity churches or on Mr. Kenaston, I am only questioning. If I have made some judgement by accident, please accept my apolgy.

In His love, Chanin

2007/7/25 17:30Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

Interesting I see this thread here...This morning while surfing the web I came across a site that was a tad bit critical about them.

One of the points the writer made was how they did not approve of their people wearing the wedding band and felt as though the leaders were imposing their opinions upon their flock. What this writer apparently was ignorant of is that they are following the Scriptures forbidding the wearing of jewelry, as written in 1 Tim. 2:9: "In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and sobriety; not with braided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array."

Blessings,
ginnyrose

2007/7/25 17:35Profile
Koheleth

NC

Chanin / moreofHim,

Thanks so much for your reply! No apologies needed! At the risk of saying too much or becoming confusing, I will add a few comments.

I have read all of Rick Friedrich's material and I guess I would say that (1) I have appreciated it because I believe in "examining everything carefully" as Paul said to do, (2) it mentions points that have some degree of true legitimacy and I have taken note of them myself, (3) in reading Rick's material, we only have one party's views on the issues (Prov. 18:17), and (4) in striving to be as objective and balanced as possible, I find Rick's material to be generally extreme or exaggerated. Rick has not made public whether he followed the Matthew 18 course of action to solve his concerns, but I would say if not then I do not see a Biblical reason to publish this material.

This all comes down to there being strengths and weaknesses and differences among all churches. We can make much of those differences or we can ask if we should rejoice whenever we see God working through any other group. You have mentioned you were of a "reformed" leaning. I am glad to see you have not allowed that to come between you and material of a "Christian" leaning. ;-) Let's keep on keeping on and maintain a heart of "charity" toward all.

2007/7/25 18:03Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy