SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : Iraqis Blame U.S. Depleted Uranium for Surge in Cancer

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread

Iraqis Blame U.S. Depleted Uranium for Surge in Cancer

Iraqis blame U.S. depleted uranium for surge in cancer
19:20 | 23/ 07/ 2007

CAIRO, July 23 (RIA Novosti) - Iraq's environment minister blamed Monday the use of depleted uranium weapons by U.S. forces during the 2003 Operation Shock and Awe for the current surge in cancer cases across the country.

As a result of "at least 350 sites in Iraq being contaminated during bombing" with depleted uranium (DU) weapons, Nermin Othman said, the nation is facing about 140,000 cases of cancer, with 7,000 to 8,000 new ones registered each year.

Speaking at a ministerial meeting of the Arab League, she also complained that many chemical plants and oil facilities had been destroyed during the two military campaigns since the 1990s, but the ecological consequences remain unclear.

"Our ministry is fledgling, and we need international support; notably, we need laboratories to better monitor air and water contamination," she said.

The first major UN research on the consequences of the use of DU on the battlefield was conducted in 2003 in the wake of NATO operations in Kosovo, Bosnia, and Montenegro. The UN Environment Program (UNEP) said in its report after the research that DU poses little threat if spent munitions are cleared from the ground.

"Health risks primarily depend on the awareness of people coming into contact with DU," UNEP writes in its 2004 brochure "Depleted Uranium Awareness."

No major clean-up or public awareness campaigns have been reported in Iraq.

[url=http://en.rian.ru/world/20070723/69509899.html]Original Link - RIA Novosti (Russian)[/url]

2007/7/24 23:21
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re: Iraqis Blame U.S. Depleted Uranium for Surge in Cancer

Corey,
I googled Iraq cancer and found a site that gave more details concerning this subject....

And now this got me to wonder about something, totally unrelated to Cancer in Iraq. Our son served a term of peace-keeping duty in Bosnia in '01, I think. Now he has some health problems, unlike [i]any[/i] of his brothers. What makes it more mysterious is he will not talk about it. Now if you know [i]anything[/i] about moms this does give one pause for concern.

Just my thoughts after reading this post...
ginnyrose

2007/7/29 20:11Profile

Re:

Ginnyrose,

I'm so sorry to hear about your son's illness.

I'm only a layperson, so I can't tell you where to look, who to ask, why you're son can't talk about it, or even if the army used DU in Bosnia (though I think it probable).

But I can give you some Google keywords - try different combinations

"bosnia", "desert storm", "parkinson's disease", "gulf war syndrome", "depleted uranium", "DU", "cancer", "birth mutations"...

A must read: [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gulf_war_syndrome]Gulf War Syndrome - Wikipedia[/url]

2007/7/29 23:58

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy