SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Heresy

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
ChrisJD

Philadelphia PA

Heresy

Hi everyone, I thought it might be usefull to post this definition of the word translated [i]heresy[/i] again.

From Strong's...

G139

hairesis
hah'ee-res-is
From G138; properly a choice, that is, (specifically) a party or (abstractly) disunion. (“heresy” is the Greek word itself.): - heresy [which is the Greekord itself], sect.

properly [b]a choice[/b]

that is, (specifically) [u]a party[/u] or (abstractly) [b]disunion[/b]

Causing disunity by contending for our [i]choice[/i], our party, our doctrine?

[i]What? came the word of God out from you? or came it unto you only?[/i]

[i]O my soul, come not thou into their secret; unto their assembly, mine honour, be not thou united: for in their anger they slew a man, and in their selfwill they digged down a wall.[/i]

[i]...in their selfwill they digged down a wall[/i]

2007/7/24 18:03Profile

Re: Heresy

Hia brother Chris,

The main aspect of the word hairesis is that it comes from aihreomai.

The point of God using this particular word is to show mankind that "heresy" is "the opinion chosen" and as you defined it at top is, a "choice", so that folks who get caught up in "heresy" cannot blame anyone but their own "choice" to believe whatever it is that they believe.

Once we realize that people believe what they choose to believe, then we won't "contend" AS much.

Reckon that's why Paul told Titus, 'Once - Twice - then that's it.

I think the word you're looking for is ...

G1370
διχοστασία
dichostasia
Total KJV Occurrences: 3
divisions, 2
Rom_16:17, 1Co_3:3
seditions, 1
Gal_5:20

God Bless you & your VOM posts.

2007/7/24 18:20
ChrisJD

Philadelphia PA

Re:

Hi GrannieAnnie, I hope you are well.

"The point of God using this particular word is to show mankind that "heresy" is "the opinion chosen" and as you defined it at top is, a "choice", so that folks who get caught up in "heresy" cannot blame anyone but their own "choice" to believe whatever it is that they believe."

Think here though the problem is not so much in what we may believe, but rather what we do with it.

As I see it, something can become heresy(even if it is not nescessarily wrong, perhaps only incompelete or partial, for instance) when a person begins to teach, preach, and or contend for it, [b]to the disunity of the body of Christ[/b]. This they do by [b] their choice[/b] and not of God.

This is why I think this is listed as a [b]work of the flesh[/b].

The scripture says

[i]For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.[/i]

Yet, a hersey, as I see it, may take that which is seen [i]darkly[/i] and contend for it as though it were in pure light, even [i]face to face[/i]. Why? [b]It is a work of the flesh[/b], and not of the Spirit.

The Lord Jesus Christ, the very Word of God, said

[b][color=660033]I have many things to say and to judge of you: but he that sent me is true; and I speak to the world those things which I have heard of him.[/color][/b]

He that saw in pure light only spoke those things to the world which the Father gave Him.

2007/7/25 17:27Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy