SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Did you repent before you received a new heart?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
LoveHim

Indiana, US

Re:

Quote:
Rom 9:18 Therefore hath he mercy on whom he will have mercy, and whom he will he hardeneth.

i have many friends that quote this passage as to say that God selected some to salvation and damned the others, but what does scripture say about mercy. to whom does God give mercy to??

romans 11:32
"for God has shut them all up in disobedience, THAT HE MIGHT HAVE MERCY ON ALL"

so we see that God's desire is to have mercy on all. not all elect, not some of all tribes, but on ALL.

i believe that it is very clear from genesis to revelation, that God's desire is that all will repent and believe.

2007/7/23 22:13Profile
theopenlife

Re:

I believe you have misunderstood the passage. The context seems plainly to indicate ALL, as in "Both Jew and Gentile, apart from the law, so many as repent and believe - which none can or will do effectively apart from the sovereign enabling grace of God."

All are called to repent. None will repent thoroughly unless He changes them. All He changes do repent thoroughly. None are saved except those He changes. The others are damned because they are willful sinners, born of sin, haters of God.

Romans chapters 1&2.

2007/7/23 22:26Profile
hmmhmm

Sweden

Re:

i repented first and then received a new heart, and i im now continuing to repent

2007/7/23 22:29Profile
LoveHim

Indiana, US

Re:

Quote:
i repented first and then received a new heart, and i im now continuing to repent

amen hmmhmm. i was born again when the Holy Spirit convicted me and i repented and believed on Him for salvation.

2007/7/23 22:47Profile
roaringlamb

Santa Cruz California

Re:

Quote:

Allow me to ask you, why did you repent, how did you know to repent?

The new birth must precede repentance, or no man can see his need to repent. The heart before regenration is stone, lifeless, and unable to repent.

I bring this up simply to show the great grace of our God in preparing our hearts, and renewing them to believe.

2007/7/24 0:32Profile
hmmhmm

Sweden

Re:

i agree brother it was Gods goodness and grace that allowed me to repent, but i did repent before i was born again, i came to the place where i turned from my sin, where i came to Christ and said save me because im utterly lost, and he did. For me, and im not saying you are wrong maybe God worked in other peoples hearts in another way. But as for me this was true in my life

Mark 1:15 And saying, The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand: repent ye, and believe the gospel.

and i choose to believe, did that ability come from my own ability to work it up? no i think God was preparing my heart for a long time to come to this place where i could repent. But i know many disagree with me about this, but i choose that night to believe who Jesus is and what he did for me, and God gave me the ability to choose,

But perhaps someone else has been born again before they repented?

2007/7/24 0:57Profile
roaringlamb

Santa Cruz California

Re:

I am not one to argue as you are in the Family and on the way to Celestial City.

Blessings to you across the pond :-D

2007/7/24 1:02Profile
hmmhmm

Sweden

Re:

Quote:

roaringlamb wrote:

Blessings to you across the pond :-D

same to you brother! and keep posting, i have been very encouraged by your posts lately and i love brothers who seek the Lord wholeheartedly!

2007/7/24 1:11Profile
theopenlife

Re:

All of this must surely hang on how we define repentance. I define repentance not as turning from (verb) sins but turning from (noun) sin, to God and godliness.

Without God's illuminating regeneration, many turn from (verb) sins: drinking, lying, stealing, praying too little, or worshiping infrequently.

But only regeneration can bring a man to turn from (noun) sin, in all its rising and lurking forms, so often as it appears.

2007/7/24 2:40Profile

Re: Did you repent before you received a new heart?

A repentant heart is a new heart. A new creature is one who repents and believes.

It is not that you are born again and then repent, but it happens at all once when man yeilds his freewill to the Spirit of God.

As soon as a man's heart repents and believes he is a born again, new creature. The one who repents is born again. And the one who is born again has repented. Regeneration/conversion is when a sinner repents and believes, when a sinner yeilds to the Spirit of Truth.

It is not that you are regenerated and then after that get saved. Or that you get born again and then after that repent. But the one who is regenerated is saved. The one who is born again has repented.

Regeneration/Conversion/New Birth/ are all discribing the same thing: when a sinner repents and believes from the heart as He is taught to do by the Holy Spirit. The one who repents and believes from the heart is regenerated/converted/born again.

From my own experience, I first repented and believed, and the man I was after that was therefore a new creature, I was born again.

The Spirit leading a sinner into repentance and faith is the birth procedure which results in a man being born again with a new heart. Regeneration/Conversion/New Birth all come about by the Spirit teaching man to repent and believe, and the man actually doing it.

2007/7/24 5:46

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy