SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Question!!

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
Chad

JC MO

Question!!

In Leonard Ravenhill's "The Judgement Seat of Christ" he quoted a poem ---
"Only one life- 'twill soon be past-
only what's done for God will last-"

Does anyone know the writer? He said her name but I've no clue. My great aunt has this knitted or croche'd or something like that and it hangs on her wall. I love it!
Help is appreciated!!

2004/4/27 9:45Profile
InTheLight

Phoenix, Arizona USA

Re: Question!!

Her name is Amy Carmichael, here is a short bio on her that I found on the Net;

[i]Arriving in India as a pioneer missionary, Amy Carmichael had no idea of the dangerous work ahead of her to save young girls from cult prostitution in Hindu temples, and later to take in boys sold to temple service and traveling acting troupes. Not could she foresee the times of material need, physical danger, pain and debilitating illness, disappointment and attack by friends. Her life and the mission she founded in Dohnavur Fellowship are a stunning and inspirational story.

Poet, hymnwriter and author, Amy Carmichael's fifty-six years in India and the legacy of her work stand as a lasting testimony to the courageous young woman from Northern Ireland who stepped into the darkness surrounding her and found the greatest "refuge" of all the sheltering love of God.[/i]

In Christ,

Ron

2004/4/27 11:00Profile
moreofHim

Re: amy Carm.

I have read Amy's biography. I am a huge fan of hers. She was such a neat lady and gave everything for so many.

~Chanin

2004/4/27 11:14Profile
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
I have read Amy's biography. I am a huge fan of hers. She was such a neat lady and gave everything for so many.

Was she the person who wrote the hymn ravenhill always quotes that has the last line:

"Make me thy fuel flame of God"

When Ravenhill quotes this he usually literally weeps in brokeness realized the awesome consecration and lostness in the purposes of God this person is talking about.

2004/4/27 15:46Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Quote:

Quote:
Was she the person who wrote the hymn ravenhill always quotes that has the last line:

Yes, she was. Amy (Wilson) Carmichael is my all time favourite woman writer. I would heartily recommend everything she wrote. Her records of work among the child-prosititues of India are perfect examples of discretion and honesty. She was bed-bound for many years and wrote many devotional titles. I cannot recommend her works too highly.

If you only have time to read one of her books, read 'If'...

and may you never recover!

2004/4/28 4:47Profile
Chad

JC MO

Re:

Thank you guys... you all rock, although I don't know you, if your alls posts all over the website reflect your lives.. then you guys rock!
In Christ...
Chad

2004/4/29 9:21Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re:

Here is a bit more information, including a pretty exhaustive reading list:

[url=http://www.heroesofhistory.com/page49.html]http://www.heroesofhistory.com/page49.html[/url]

Edit:

This may be what Ron was refering to: (in part)

[url=http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Oracle/5522/poems1.html]Amy's 'If'[/url]

2004/4/29 9:50Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy