SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : I have a question...please help me!

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
SpeckOfDust13

I have a question...please help me!

I have a question about the chronological order of priests. Like, what order do they come in and what are they all? Example: Priests, bishops, popes, Cardinals, those are only some of them, but I need to know them all and what order they come in. I need to know for school and i am stuck. PLEASE help me! I am in desperate need!!! Thank you!

2004/4/26 20:53Profile
InTheLight

Phoenix, Arizona USA

Re: I have a question...please help me!

Hello and welcome. Your question appears to be addressing the hierarchy of the Roman Catholic church. I'm afraid you won't find many RC's here, maybe a few ex RC's though. :-) I'm not sure what you mean by "chronological order of priests". Do you mean to ask "when" these offices of the church came about or perhaps your question refers simply to hierarchy in the RC church? If the latter, I can take a stab at your question but I know very little about the Roman church, perhaps someone else can verify the following list;

Pope
Archbishop
Bishop
Cardinal
Priest

And please keep the following verses in mind;

[i]But be not ye called Rabbi: for one is your Master, even Christ; and all ye are brethren. And call no man your father upon the earth: for one is your Father, which is in heaven. Neither be ye called masters: for one is your Master, even Christ. But he that is greatest among you shall be your servant. And whosoever shall exalt himself shall be abased; and he that shall humble himself shall be exalted.[/i]
(Matthew 23:8-12)

In Christ,

Ron

2004/4/26 21:43Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Hi Ron and 'specofdust'
I think Cardinal are all bishops so they need to move up the list. They are next in authority to the pope, I think, in the Catholic hierarchy.

The word 'hierarchy' is an interesting one. It means 'a priest-ruler', which is biblically a contradiction in terms as Bible priests were never intended to be rulers at all. Ruling was the responsibility of elders, 'princes' and later 'kings'. The RC confuses spiritual authority with secular authority and gives its officers political power. As Jesus said 'if my kingdom were of this world then would my servants strive'. Only wordly kingdoms need this kind of structure.

2004/4/28 4:40Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy