Image Map
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : Hypocrite - Spurgeon

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
hmmhmm

Sweden

Hypocrite - Spurgeon

Hypocrite by Spurgeon

O hypocrite, you think that you shall excel, because the minister has been duped, and gives you credit for a deep experience; because the deacons have been entrapped and think you to be eminently godly; because the church members receive you to their houses, and think you a dear child of God too! Poor soul! Perhaps you may go to your grave with the delusion in your brain that all is right with you; but remember, though like a sheep you are laid in your grave, Death will find you out. He will say to you, off with your mask, man! Away with all your robes! Up with that whitewashed sepulcher! Take off that green turf; let the worms be seen. Out with the body; let us see the reeking corruption! And what will you say when your abominably corrupt and filthy heart shall be opened before the sun, and men and angels hear your lies and hypocrisies laid bare before them? Will you play the hypocrite then? Soul, come and sing God's praises in the Day of Judgment with false lips! Tell him now, while a widow's house is in your throat, tell him that you love him! Come, now, you that devour the fatherless, you that rob, you that do uncleanness! Tell him now that you make your boast in the Lord! Tell him that you preach his word; tell him that you walk in his streets; tell him you make it known that you were one of the excellent of the earth! What! Man, is your babbling tongue silent for once? What is the matter with you? You were never slow to talk of your godliness. Speak out, and say "I took the sacramental cup; I was a professor." Oh how changed! The whitewashed sepulcher has become white in another sense; he is white with horror. See now; the talkative one has become dumb; the boaster is silent; the formalist's garb is torn to rags, the moth has devoured their beauty; their gold and their silver has become tarnished. Ah! it must be with every man who has thus lied to God and to his own conscience.

2007/7/13 13:22Profile

Re: Hypocrite - Spurgeon

This is a hard saying, but I'm glad it was you who posted it.

Thank you Christian. Work out our own Salvation with 'fear & trembling', even from Spurgeon.
Praise His THRICE HOLY Name. Reverence!

2007/7/13 15:25
roadsign

Re: Hypocrisy by Spurgeon

IF you are interested in a L-O-N-G read- here is a sermon called:
[url=http://www.thewayback.net/articles/hypocrisy.htm]Hypocrisy - by Spurgeon [/url]

Imagine a sermon like that in our day!!!

When I first read this sermon some years ago, I felt conviction - on many counts of hypocrisy. It does me good to read it again. After all, hypocrisy is such an insidious thing, constantly creeping in from around the corner.

It seems that as soon as I supect I may finally be free from hypocrisy the Spirit convicts me of hypocrisy - even for assuming that. Someone once told me, "We can never be fully free from hypocrisy." I suspect she's right.

Doesn't that awareness keep us humbly on our knees before the Lord?

Thanks for posting the topic!

Diane

2007/7/13 18:16Profile
hmmhmm

Sweden

Re:

yes this is one constant look out for in our walk, and few people can "paint a picture" like Spurgeon

2007/7/14 2:20Profile

Re:

Diane, thank you for that website. :-)

I had it last year before my computer busted, but somehow through messing with it when I got it back, it erased my address book and Favorites.

You're a blessing.
Be encouraged.
Thanks!
Annie

2007/7/14 2:41

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy