SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : How to deal with not hearing Gods voice?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
Warrior4Jah

The Netherlands

How to deal with not hearing Gods voice?

Dear brothers and sisters,

I think the subject-title says it all. How do you deal with it? Actually this is not a topic where I intent this to be 'debated' but a topic to get some help.

I don't see any progression in my walk with God, no prayers anwsers... its horrible... How can I find Gods will in my life? How can I live without having Gods discernment? The worst thing is that I even had some old sins returning lately... I don't feel comfortable, I have the idea that something is wrong, I just can't seem to decipher what it is.

God is worthy of so more of my attention and love then I give Him... I can be so busy with doing all sorts of things.

In the summer of 2004 I called out to God and I stated that I wanted to follow Him whatever the costs. I'm confused, except for I know that God exists and I want to follow Him!

2007/7/12 18:44Profile
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re: What does the Word of God say?

"...though now for a season, if need be, ye are in heaviness though manifold temptations; that the trial of your faith, being much more precious than of gold that perisheth, though it be tried with fire, might be found unto praise and honor..." (I Peter 1:6-7)

Quote:
In the summer of 2004 I called out to God and I stated that I wanted to follow Him whatever the costs.

And nobody warned you what to expect? When you pray a prayer like that, the waves don't usually come right away. There's still a calm...until one day you realize you're moving out into deeper waters. Eventually you realize that you're in over your head, and swimming is futile. This is the dying process, brother. The secret is to stop trying to stay afloat and just [i]sink[/i] down like Jonah. God wants us to drown to all our efforts and flotation devices and personal life lines and just sink down in helpless self-death. Absolute surrender, as Andrew Murray would say.

The prayer "Whatever the cost" is scary one. The [i]cost[/i] is very, very high. Take courage in knowing you're not alone, brother -- I'm paying it too, everyday, and so are some others here. It's a daily cost, brother, a daily death. The truth is, we often don't hear back from God when we want to. Though He hides His Face for a season, he's still there. When a baby is still very small, the mother won't leave his side. He cries and she's there with the bottle. But when we get older in God, He begins to treat us like growing, maturing children...and we now must be disciplined and taught to pray and study the Word of God as our source of survival. He's teaching you [i]to come to Him[/i] and Him alone for life.

Quote:
I'm confused

"...think it not strange concerning the fiery trial which is to try you, as though some strange thing happened to you..." (I Peter 4:12)

Welcome to the school of God!

"My brethren, count it all [b]joy[/b] when ye fall into divers temptations, knowing this: that the trying of your faith worketh patience." (James 1:2-3)

Brother Paul

2007/7/12 21:02Profile
rowdy2

Southern USA

Re: How to deal with not hearing Gods voice?

Reply to Jonathan,

Jonathan, Brother Paul said it better than I can, but if I may the Bible speaks of vexing the Holy Spirit. My understanding is that this is allowing sin to reenter your life. Sin is a very serious matter and I would repent immediately.

There is not a Christian on this forum that has not wandered away from God became lonely, depressed and confused. God is not the author of confusion, we are. Confusion always comes when we try to live like the rest of the world and ignore our Shepard but when we returned to God and drew close, God drew close to us. You will be chastened and the fear of God is the beginning of wisdom.

Turn to The Word of God and seek and pray earnestly and with faith that God will answer but ask for spiritual gifts that will lead to peace and rest.

And this is the record, that God hath given to us eternal
life, and this life is in his Son.

He that hath the Son hath life and he that hath not the Son
of God hath not life.

Communion to me is fellowship with God (Gen. 18:17-33; Ex. 33:9-11; Num. 12:7, 8), Communion between Christ and his people (John 14:23),Communion by the Spirit (2 Cor. 13:14; Phil. 2:1)Communion, of believers with one another (Eph. 4:1-6). ),

Communion because in it there is fellowship between Christ and his disciples, and of the disciples with one another. Christ Jesus is The Word of God the Holy Unleavened Bread and the life we feed upon.

Eddie

2007/7/12 21:30Profile
HopePurifies

Georgia, USA

I'm glad that you answered this question because I'm going through the same thing.

Then again, I might know whats causing my problem. Next month I'm starting college, but I haven't given that part of my life to Him fully. I should, it's only right, but its hard because I feel the tug of everyone else's opinion....

So, since I think that's whats going on with me, I encourage to look inside yourself for things you haven't surrendered to God.

Otherwise, it might just be what that awesomely encouraging 1 Peter scripture said.

2007/7/12 21:37Profile
FreebyWord

I, at this moment Warrior4Yah, am struggling with the same disquiet of soul as you in that I feel God has hidden Himself from me even after a lot of fasting over the last ten days which after reading Joel 2 I felt called to. I'm feeling an urgent need to hear from God, to be comforted by Him as I see the world unraveling around us.

I don't believe in the pre-tribulation rapture and that most who live today will experience the apocalypic prophecies of the Word.

Therefore I'm in that same place as you--to know that you are under the favor of God, a longing and urgent need to hear from God. I too still struggle for certain sins which God in His mercy keeps me from but it is a daily battle of the flesh.

I believe with all my heart Warrior4Yah that you have the answer in your own post--"[u][b][size=x-small]He is worthy of our all[/size][/b][/u]."

Last night in the middle of the night I couldn't sleep my trepidation and angst about my sin state and the state of the world was so great, so opened the Word and just began reading. My eyes fell on Matthew 7:21:

[b][i][size=x-small][color=FF3333]Mat 7:21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven. [/color][/size][/i][/b]

Today I've pressed in to Lord Jesus asking Him to help me "do the will of the Father" by walking in obedience to His Word. His Word is telling us that not our emotions, not our works before God or man please Him, but ONLY doing the "will of God the Father".

Lord Jesus help Warrior4Yah and me and any other who would pray this prayer to walk in obedience to You, to Your Word. We cry out to you Lord for favor to do Your will no matter what it takes, no matter the cost to our flesh or life. Amen

JimDied2Sin also has a word that speaks to my heart he just now posted on this SI site that addresses this very issue of our obedience Warrior4Yah. It would be well worth your time to read:

https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=17943&forum=34

2007/7/12 22:04Profile
allhavsinned

North West England

Wise words from bro PaulWest, just to add my humble offerings, remember Job, he went though a time when God was silent, He 'wants to see what we will do' when He takes a 'step away' from us (figuratively speaking, we do it often with little children to see how they'll act when they think they're on their own) if we turn to our old ways then it shows what is still inside us that must be dealt with, He wants us to follow Him even when we can't see or hear Him, it sounds strange but I believe it teaches us more about ourselves than any other method.

Use this 'desert place' to spend time reading the bible, fill up your spare time with God things, then when you arrive in the Land of Promise you will be somewhat prepared for the battles waiting for you there.

Ste

2007/7/13 0:11Profile
rookie

Savannah TN

Re:

Psalm 119

9 How can a young man cleanse his way?
By taking heed according to Your word.
10 With my whole heart I have sought You;
Oh, let me not wander from Your commandments!
11 Your word I have hidden in my heart,
That I might not sin against You.
12 Blessed are You, O LORD!
Teach me Your statutes.
13 With my lips I have declared
All the judgments of Your mouth.
14 I have rejoiced in the way of Your testimonies,
As much as in all riches.
15 I will meditate on Your precepts,
And contemplate Your ways.
16 I will delight myself in Your statutes;
I will not forget Your word.
17 Deal bountifully with Your servant,
That I may live and keep Your word.
18 Open my eyes, that I may see
Wondrous things from Your law.

The word of God trains one to recognize His voice.

If God said to Cain,

Gen. 4:6 So the LORD said to Cain, “Why are you angry? And why has your countenance fallen? 7 If you do well, will you not be accepted? And if you do not do well, sin lies at the door. And its desire is for you, but you should rule over it.”

Should He not expect the same of us?

In Christ
Jeff

2007/7/13 0:53Profile
Spitfire

Jonathan, I think the simple fact that you've realized that you aren't hearing God very well is evidence that you are on the right track. It's like searching for a radio station and finding the right numbers on the dial, but the signal isn't very good so you can't understand half of what's being said. You just need a bigger antenna.

I can remember when I went through a time just like you are describing. I realized that I couldn't hear God very well. He sounded like Charlie Brown's teacher.

Here's what to do about that problem, Brother. Confess to God that you have dull ears.
Search out "dull ears" in the Bible.
Repent of the things that cause dull ears.
Pray and ask God to get the spiritual cotton out of your ears.
Pray and ask God to give you eyes to see and ears to hear the Truth that will set you free.

The Word of God says, (my version) "My sheep (God's people) know my voice and a stranger they will not follow." Also, "...and you shall hear a voice behind you saying, 'this is the way, walk ye in it."

If we are God's child and we can't hear God very well, then we are the one's with the problem. God will show you where the problem is, Brother. Of this, I'm quite certain. Simply humble yourself before him and he will answer you. Don't give up. Love, Dian.

2007/7/13 6:32Profile
death2self

Washington DC area

Re:

One of my pastors oftentimes says "You can't hear from God, when He's not speaking." When God is silent, that is the most extraordinarily painful place so I can understand where your at. I generally end up there because I'm unwilling to do what the Holy Spirit has asked me to do. It may not be gross sin and almost always is not.

I recently went through a lengthy fast and then the Lord asked me to go almost immediately to a stringent diet and frankly I had an attitude about it, which I had to repent for.

Was there a point in time where you left Jesus or violated something you had agreed to do? That's the road back to Jesus and it's generally quite painful and may take you some time. The devil will say it's no use to pray and no use to read the scriptures because God has left you. I encourage you to seek Him with all of your heart and cry out to Him in your prayer closet. He has NOT left you.

Quote:
I don't see any progression in my walk with God, no prayers anwsers... its horrible... How can I find Gods will in my life?

This is where you start with being brutally honest with God, as you have been here. Ask Jesus to show you where you left him.

Quote:
How can I live without having Gods discernment?

You can't, you'll be like the Israelites and will die in the desert. If you're struggling in your prayer life, read the Psalms aloud and ask the Holy Spirit to quicken his word. Tell Him that your heart for Jesus will die, if He doesn't deliver you. Are you willing for Him to do whatever is needed in your life to end this silence? If so, cry out to Jesus and ask Him to meet you.

Quote:
The worst thing is that I even had some old sins returning lately... I don't feel comfortable, I have the idea that something is wrong, I just can't seem to decipher what it is.

The progression goes something like this. We refuse to do what God has asked us to do, then the presence of God leaves us. Then we get angry and cop an attitude and ultimate find an indifference growing in our hearts toward the things of God. Then seemingly all of a sudden old sinful ways reappear. This progression can happen very quickly but it's a series of choices not to do what Jesus has asked.

I praise God for the discomfort in your soul and pray that it increases until He meets you. He will deliver you...

2007/7/13 9:39Profile
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Quote:
The worst thing is that I even had some old sins returning lately... I don't feel comfortable

What God is doing here is showing you parts of your hidden self that still aren't surrendered. Be it dirty thoughts, love of money, anger, etc. These things "hide out" in your heart until summoned by an outward influence. You may think you have victory over the love of mammon, for example -- until an irresponsible family member asks to "borrow" a very large sum of money. You may think you have victory over sexual impurity -- until you notice dirty thoughts are no longer driven from your mind as soon as they surface. You welcome them to stick around for a few moments before banishing. Very subtle, and thus the cancer of hidden sin begins to metastasize.

The "old sins" come back, because they we're never really gone. They just sort of went into a dormancy. This is why we need to constantly feed on the Word of God -- the light imparted from the Word keeps our bodily temptations and youthful lusts at bay. It's easier to not yield to temptation or entertain filthy thoughts when we are walking with refreshed inner men, washed by the Word, abiding in God.

If you've ever boiled a pot of potatos, you know that once the water is boiling, scum rises and curdles at the surface. Where did the scum come from? Why was it not there when the water was cool and calm? The scum was on the potatos, and the heat caused it to disattach and manifest at the surface. Such the same purpose are God's fiery trials, to bring forth the hidden filth in our hearts to perceptible manifestation so it can then be "scooped out" of the pot by the Holy Spirit.

The question now is, however, will you allow God to mortify the scum by the Spirit? Will you trust and obey? If not, [i]you need light![/i] You need a taste of God's ineffable purity...and this can be found by soaking in the Word of God and surrendering day-by-day to God's scouring process.

Brother Paul

2007/7/13 11:03Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy