SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Promoting Authentic Biblical Christianity.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : General Topics : What constitutes backsliding if you were already a “good person” to begin with?

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
fill_up

What constitutes backsliding if you were already a “good person” to begin with?

I know a young man who is a Christian. Amen :)

He's seperated from his wife because "there's no more love". He still goes to church and reads his bible. But I don't see any love for God in him anymore and he just seems like he's getting colder and colder BUT he's not doing anything sinful. He's a "good man".

Is it considered backsliding just because your not on fire anymore? Or is there another word for it.

2007/7/12 14:42Profile
roaringlamb

Santa Cruz California

Re: What constitutes backsliding if you were already a “good person” to begin with?

Since I do not know all the circumstances with the marriage, I will tread carefully.

There are times when even the most godly person can question the reality of God, the truth of what he professes, even the point of going on another day. These times for myself have been times of great crying out, and clinging to the Lord.

I have had some very dark dark times, and if it were left to my own strength I would have failed, and simply taken my hand fromt he plow. But there is Another who lives in me, and I hope the same for this man, who drives me to continue in Him.

This young? man should work to reconcile his walk first and foremost, as this is the fountainhead from which all streams in our life flow. Though he may show up at church, and look good, something is wrong inside. This is where we must be careful not to jump to conclusions about what it is, or is not. Of course we know that God would want the marriage reconciled, and that should come a close second to the other.

May I suggest you see if there are men who are spiritual who can speak with this brother gently, and befriend him so he could share his burdens with them. Having a friend is an amazing blessing in this life we sojourn through.

2007/7/12 15:07Profile
Nile

Raleigh, NC

Re: What constitutes backsliding if you were already a “good person” to begin with?

Quote:

fill_up wrote:
I know a young man who is a Christian. Amen :)

He's seperated from his wife because "there's no more love". He still goes to church and reads his bible. But I don't see any love for God in him anymore and he just seems like he's getting colder and colder BUT he's not doing anything sinful. He's a "good man".

Isn't not loving God the greatest sin of all?
And no man who loves the world and lives for himself is a good man - he is an evil vile man.

Nile

2007/7/12 15:36Profile
fill_up

Re:

Quote:
And no man who loves the world and lives for himself is a good man - he is an evil vile man.

I love it! AMEN.

2007/7/12 16:18Profile
wonserwonton

Longview WA

James 4:17-
Therefore to him that knoweth to do good, and doeth it not, to him it is sin.

I've heard it put that as soon as you stop moving forward you've backslidden.
It may not be in Scripture, but there is plenty of truth in that statement.

2007/7/13 14:29Profile
DTSheffler

It seems to me that the question being asked here is really "is this man a Christian?" or alternately, "Is this man really following Christ?" Salvation is not just from hell, but from this very kind of lifestyle. We no longer need to live for ourselves anymore and it sounds like this is what this man is doing.

On my blog I wrote a post about this called [url=http://www.exicarus.com/2007/06/20/why-did-jesus-die/]Why Did Jesus Die?[/url].

2007/7/14 12:38Profile
Talkn2u

Quote:

fill_up wrote:
But I don't see any love for God in him anymore and he just seems like he's getting colder and colder

Hi fill-up....
could it be that what "appears to be" a lack of love for God; and increasing "coldness" is sadly a man discouraged because life has taken this turn?

I would say this man needs prayer support and Godly influence around him.
He needs people to speak Truth into his spirit. He does not need people to add to his "discontent" but guide him to determine himself more into the Word and alone time with God.

It is possible to "wrestle" within, as the enemy of our soul attempts to destroy us...and yet in our spirit we know to hold on to God!

What may appear to be a lack of love, may be a lack of strength, fear, uncertainty, self condemnation, questions of failure, doubt and frustration at his own weakness. Even disillusionment about the woman he believed his wife to be.

His focus must be on the Lord and His Word. He has no hope without seeking God.

He must be encouraged to do so.
Bonnie

2007/7/14 12:58Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy