SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Good books about family and childtraining?

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
redirection

Eindhoven, The Netherlands

Good books about family and childtraining?

Hello,

Does anybody know good books or articles on family and childtraining by the revival preachers or the old preachers like moody, finney, spurgeon etc..

Lee

2004/4/21 6:00Profile
moreofHim

Re: Good books about family and childtraining?

Hello Lee,

"Shepherding A Child's Heart" by Tedd Tripp- I have found to be one of the best. It is very biblically framed.

Also a shorter article by J.R. Miller (1894) "Secrets of A Happy Home Life" is good too. You can find it at Grace Gems along with some other family articles by some of the older preachers here:
[url=http://www.gracegems.org/Family.htm]Grace Gems (Family)[/url]

There are some wonderful articles by Ted Barsness (father of 4 boys and pastor. The articles for men/fathers are especially excellent since there are so few good ones around. You can find them here: [url=http://www.thesehands.org/downloads.html]These Hands Ministries[/url]

The Holy Spirit is the best teacher!!!! :-)

Hope this helps a bit.

Walking with Him, Chanin

2004/4/21 8:47Profile
moreofHim

Re: family

[color=0066FF]"Every Christian family ought to be, as it were, a little church consecrated to Christ, and wholly influenced and governed by His rules." ~Jonathan Edwards [/color]

Walking with Him, Chanin

2004/4/21 13:00Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Hi Lee
Andrew Murray wrote a book which was later re-titled as "How to raise you children for Christ". It breathes the spirit of Murray in its quiet and peaceful style. There are a few chapters at the end on the significance of 'infant baptism' that I could not endorse but Andrew Murray is always worth reading.

2004/4/21 14:09Profile
KeithLaMothe

Re:

Quote:
There are a few chapters at the end on the significance of 'infant baptism' that I could not endorse but Andrew Murray is always worth reading.

Ah yes, that perenially pesky paedobaptism doctrine...

I'll probably look into the book on family life/raising children (I thoroughly, emphatically agree with the Edwards quote, btw, thanks for that).

I was wondering if anyone here knew of a good book on Biblical masculinity. I've read one of Josh Harris's books, but it's mostly on relationships and I was looking for something more general and a bit more conservative. I've heard of "Wild at Heart" but I've read some things about it that make me want to look elsewhere.

Pretty much I'd be happy with "John Wesley's sermon on what God expects of a man," but I don't know that such exists. I'd prefer something from a Holiness author (doctrinally conservative, culturally conservative), if possible.

I ask because, partly due to the discussion elsewhere that touches on Biblical gender roles, I realized I'm not so much of a "man of God" as I am a "boy of God," at least in my demeaner.

Thanks, God be with you all,
-Keith

2004/4/21 16:39Profile
openairboy

Re:

They are revival preachers, but Doug Wilson out at credenda.org and canonpress.org has some wonderful material on child rearing and masculinity. I've heard good things about Priolo's "The Complete Husband", but I haven't personally read it.

For those considering raising your children in fear and admonition of the Lord, then the paedo-baptism issue is crucial in the discussion. Whether you see your children as part of the promise or not directly effects the way you raise them. The Credo baptists, however, will not be consistent on the issue. For a Presbyterian understanding, which Edwards by-and-large had, can be found here:

http://www.faithtacoma.org/covenant2.htm If nothing else, it should get rid of the strawman around much of the paedo issue. An intro article on the children of believers being believers can be found here: http://www.hornes.org/theologia/content/mark_horne/the_children_of_christians_are_christians.htm

It's the lounge, so I will stop there.

2004/4/21 17:03Profile
moreofHim

Re: family

Thought some of you guys might appreciate this. My husband loved it and enjoys all the articles by Todd Barsness

-Thank You, Daddy-

...for saying "no" to the good things in life, so that you could say "yes" to the best things.

...for looking the other way, instead of gazing and giving in.

...for making the choice to stay faithful to mom and me.

...for climbing a step or two down the corporate ladder of success, so that you could climb up your family's ladder of respect.

...for getting out of your own world, and getting into mine.

...for your day-in and day-out providing for and protecting of our family.

...for being a man of your word, so that we were confident in what you said because of who you are.

...for building a strong financial foundation; but more importantly, for building a strong spiritual foundation.

...for validating that a "real man" can be gentle, humble and repentant.

...for not spending so much time developing yourself, but pouring more of yourself into me.

...for doing fewer things "your way" and more things God's way.

...for demonstrating that faithfulness is much better than success.

...for showing me that becoming a "man of faith" doesn't happen in gigantic leaps but in small, day-by-day choices.

...for proving that a man's most important job is on his knees in prayer.

...for believing in me before anyone else did.

2004/4/21 17:20Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

I was wondering if anyone here knew of a good book on Biblical masculinity.

Hi Keith
Have you read 'the mark of a man' by Elisabeth Elliot?

2004/4/21 17:22Profile
KeithLaMothe

Re:

Quote:
Have you read 'the mark of a man' by Elisabeth Elliot?

No I have not, I'll look into it, thank you.

2004/4/21 17:56Profile
chadsepulveda

college station , tx

Hey,

Some dear friends of mine have recommended a book to me by the name of "What the Bible says about Child Training" by J Richard Fugate. They have said that it is awesome and not overwritten.

Also William Booth wrote "The Training of Children" which can be found at http://truthinheart.com/EarlyOberlinCD/CD/Alethea/TrainingChildren.html. If anyone is not aware, William Booth founder of the Salvation Army was an unbelievable Saint who was tremendously used of God. He and his wife Catherine had 8 children of which almost all went into ministry and were successful evangelists! His fruit bore witness of the wisdom that he walked in.

Also, charles finney wrote some letters on the subject though I havent read them...
they are here
http://www.jesus-is-lord.com/finfamto.htm

Hope it helps..
chad

2004/4/21 18:02Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy