SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Does Music Matter?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 Next Page )
PosterThread
4christalone

Moscow PA

Re:

Dear enid
People will still gravitate toward the music they like, whether or not others object or not, or whether God likes it or not, they will please THEMSELVES.

Tis a sad but true statement, we neglect, then deny our Our and harden our conscience.
But I feal we need to be careful with our music which will carry us off and perhaps away from God!

2007/7/12 23:14Profile
4christalone

Moscow PA

Re:

Dear Jordan
PLease go on. I see you are into music please describe, as you feel the Lord leading, your position and why.

James

2007/7/12 23:20Profile
jlosinski

North Pole, Alaska

Re:

I think that it comes down to content in the songs, one thing that I like about our church is that we sing alot of hymns, spanning from the 1500's to present, alot from the 1700's-1800's. Now i know the old arguement that some hymns were bar tunes, but look at the content of the lyrics compared to today, it seems that there was an intellectual admission of Gods greatness that was coupled with emotion in the old time hymns, but today it seems that emotion is the selling factor.

Just a small piece of a very big pie that tastes different to everyone that bites...
Joe

2007/7/12 23:20Profile
4christalone

Moscow PA

Re:

Dear Lotus,

If we all would follow our convictions and let that be our guide we would end up as Israel in between judges and like them be judged of God.
Every man doing that which was right in their own eyes.

2007/7/12 23:23Profile
4christalone

Moscow PA

Re:

Dear Joe,

I agree that we lake depth, but why could it be that music has tanted our veiw of God?

2007/7/12 23:25Profile
4christalone

Moscow PA

Re: Music

Dear Hopepurifies,

This is a good test to put your music through:

Does it humble you, or lift up your pride?
Are the artists performing or leading worship?
The fear of the LORD is to hate evil: pride, and arrogancy, and the evil way, and the froward mouth, do I hate. Proverbs 8:13
Much of today's CCM is pure pride. You can tell by the way they decorate themselves, in the way they interact with the crowd, as well as the boastful lyrics and amplified booming.

Does it invite you to worship God, or does it itself push your emotions high?
22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control. (Galatians 22-23)
Much music is designed to push you into jumping or all sorts of crazyness. That's wrong, especially during worship which is what we are talking about.

Is it beautiful and lovely, or is it grungy?
Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy—meditate on these things. Phil 4:8

Is it just like the world's music?
And you shall make from these a holy anointing oil, an ointment compounded according to the art of the perfumer. It shall be a holy anointing oil. Exodus 30:25
You might think this scripture is a stretch, but the lyrics of today's CCM could acknowledge any God and not just ours. I'm not against all songs that are simple in theology but I wouldn't trust a singer who only sings those type of songs. When God had people make His tabernacle the scent and the design was not to be replicated elsewhere. God likes things to be holy to Him. Not just thrown about carelessly and understood as easily by the world as by Christians.

If you were worldly could you dance inappropriately to it? (headbang, grind?)
That's just good sense. Having not been a Christian my entire life, I was shocked when certain Christian artists got my body doing what it used to in sin.

Thank you I like that test perhaps we can expond a little deeper yet?

2007/7/12 23:30Profile
4christalone

Moscow PA

Re:

Dear Littlegift,

This could be a whole new thread on "What is true worship?"

Yes it does seem that true worthship is lacking today first in our own personal walks.

The other side of the coin would be the sort of dead services, and groaned-out hymns you see in many traditional churches.

If we would sing to glorify God no matter how slow the song leader or group sings. I think you will find a blessing. Maybe some surprise Blessing..

2007/7/12 23:36Profile
jlosinski

North Pole, Alaska

Re:

I think that the music is "user friendly" today, worship music in the past has predominately foucsed on the lyrics, like I said, but today it's focused on the music, most of the modern lyrics are forgettable.

2007/7/12 23:37Profile
jlosinski

North Pole, Alaska

Re:

Let me clarify,
I am not trying to throw a blanket statement over all christian music today...

2007/7/12 23:43Profile

Re:

Quote:

jlosinski wrote:
I think that the music is "user friendly" today, worship music in the past has predominately foucsed on the lyrics, like I said, but today it's focused on the music, most of the modern lyrics are forgettable.

I agree. Music today isn't even as musically technical. Being in music I have learned that music is all about emotion. One will listen to the music that they can relate to emotionally. When it all comes down to it, to me music doesn’t lead the person. The music follows the person, because what one listens to, reflects their heart.
If one is compromising, so they will compromise in their music. If one does drugs, they listen to drug enhancing music. You can really tell a whole lot of stuff by what a person listens to.

Luke 6:45 A good man out of the good treasure of his heart bringeth forth that which is good; and an evil man out of the evil treasure of his heart bringeth forth that which is evil: for of the abundance of the heart his mouth speaketh.

2007/7/12 23:53

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy