SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Does Music Matter?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 Next Page )
PosterThread
4christalone

Moscow PA

Does Music Matter?

Will music dostroy a Christians Walk?

What are guidelines to follow?

Can I worship God with ROCK music?

Is there any danger in Music?

Please Keep this as close to the point as possible.
May I ask you not to debate on the use of instruments, We know the Bible is the authority so please back each point with scripture.

2007/7/11 0:31Profile

Re: Does Music Matter?

Maybe this will be helpful: Be blessed.
[url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/articles/index.php?view=article&aid=3356]Can God Use Rock Music? (Keith Green)[/url]

2007/7/11 2:08

Re:

Hi

I read that article and was a bit saddened; although the authior does make some good points.

Speaking personally, all I know is that there is some music that I react against instantly as evil. Not against the style, or the loudness, but the [u]spirit[/u] of it. And the spirit of it is almost certainly far more than the attitudes of those who perform.

I was given a tape by a friend, of songs by various Christian singers. Most of the songs were fine - some a real blessing. But there was one (similar in style to the others) that jarred spiritually. I looked for that one, thinking to delete it, because the tape was great otherwise.

When I put it onto play after fast-forwarding there was a very loud note. For a moment I thought it might be that song, but quickly realised that it was "clean" (the song I was looking for was the next one). Even by one note my spirit somehow sensed that that particular song (by Don Francisco)was OK, and not the "rotten apple" one!

The worship group in church is often very good, but occasionally they play something that makes me go out of the room. Even if it was less loud I would still want to escape from it.

Wagner's "the Ring" is another kind of music that makes me want to leap up and turn it off, ior if not popssible go as far away as possible from it. Totally different in style but the spirit of it is at least as horrible... Also New Age music - different again in style.

And although the article is scornful about the story of the witchdoctor saying the music was calling up the spirits, there is something in it. When I was in Africa I got talking with an African teenage lad who was a believer. I mentioned that certain kinds of drumbeat (also found in some rock music) are used to call up demons. He was astonished, "How do you know that?!!!" he said.

This is a controversial subject, and there have been locked threads because it's got too heated in the past. So I've limited comment to personal experience only.

yours in Him

Jeannette

2007/7/11 8:40
enid

Nottingham, England

Re:

As has been said, this is a controversial subject and one which will generate much intrest and one which I usually avoid because of it.

However, I did read the article that was suggested.

People will still gravitate toward the music they like, whether or not others object or not, or whether God likes it or not, they will please THEMSELVES.

Whether that is right or not use scripture to decide. Thats it.

God bless.

2007/7/11 9:51Profile
HomeFree89

Indiana

Re:

Back when Keith Green wrote that article, CCM was a totally different thing than it is today. Groups were playing like 2nd Chapter of Acts, Barry Mcguire, and of course Keith Green ;-) .

There was a different spirit and style to the music. Am I saying that all of it was good, no, I'm just saying that CCM of yesteryear and the CCM of today are very different.

"Christian" rock is just a copy of the world's music and the Bible says we aren't to have anything to do with the world. (1 Jn. 2:15)

I would suggest studying the roots of it and see who made rock popular. Elvis and Little Richard were who made it popular and those are men I definitely wouldn't want my music modeled after. :-(

Jordan

2007/7/11 10:04Profile
Lotis

Re:

Not all Christian Rock is a copy of the world. Follow your own convictions, if your unsure of some music, it's probably best to not listen to it, but otherwise it's up to your own convictions. Just worship God honestly, if the music doesn't glorify Jesus in some way, don't listen to it, if it does glorify him in some way, enjoy.

2007/7/11 11:16Profile
HopePurifies

Georgia, USA

Re:

It needs to glorify Jesus is EVERY way. Not just "some" way.
Music can most definitely and assuredly impact your walk. Some styles are inherently bad, having been birthed from un-Christlike ideals.
It is up to each of us to determine how the music and lyrics interacts with us. It is good to look at several different views and see if any resonate with you.
I personally was introduced to Christian Metal at the age of 11, and it was a gateway into secular metal, which led to a couple years of confusion and depression. Then I came back to "Christian Metal only" after a youth service and a suicide attempt. And though the lyrics were Christian the music did batter me emotionally, something I realize more in retrospect. But I enjoyed it and tried to put all kinds of Christian labels on how I felt (counterfeit worship, counterfeit repentance).
So is this an attack on metal? Eh, hardly. I definitely don't listen to it anymore. I've never been more blessed than when I gave it all up though. Some of the songs I listen to have a bit of a rock beat to it, but I believe the artists did manage to redeem the rock beat in those cases.

This is a good test to put your music through:

Does it humble you, or lift up your pride?
Are the artists performing or leading worship?
The fear of the LORD is to hate evil: pride, and arrogancy, and the evil way, and the froward mouth, do I hate. Proverbs 8:13
Much of today's CCM is pure pride. You can tell by the way they decorate themselves, in the way they interact with the crowd, as well as the boastful lyrics and amplified booming.

Does it invite you to worship God, or does it itself push your emotions high?
22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control. (Galatians 22-23)
Much music is designed to push you into jumping or all sorts of crazyness. That's wrong, especially during worship which is what we are talking about.

Is it beautiful and lovely, or is it grungy?
Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy—meditate on these things. Phil 4:8

Is it just like the world's music?
And you shall make from these a holy anointing oil, an ointment compounded according to the art of the perfumer. It shall be a holy anointing oil. Exodus 30:25
You might think this scripture is a stretch, but the lyrics of today's CCM could acknowledge any God and not just ours. I'm not against all songs that are simple in theology but I wouldn't trust a singer who only sings those type of songs. When God had people make His tabernacle the scent and the design was not to be replicated elsewhere. God likes things to be holy to Him. Not just thrown about carelessly and understood as easily by the world as by Christians.

If you were worldly could you dance inappropriately to it? (headbang, grind?)
That's just good sense. Having not been a Christian my entire life, I was shocked when certain Christian artists got my body doing what it used to in sin.

Anyways. There are more questions, but its really something you can't just be legalistic about. Your decisions need to come from the spirit leading you and teaching you. I just hope I gave you some good information. Music is incredibly important as it has a profound effect on us. We just have to make sure the effect is always producing Christlike desires, ideals, and feelings.

Edited for clarification.

Oh yeah, and remember, what isn't of faith is sin! Thats very important on this subject. You need to be able to back up your decision with a fully convinced mind (opened a tad for the Holy Spirit and Christian counsel).

2007/7/11 13:55Profile

Re:

Quote:

HopePurifies wrote:
It needs to glorify Jesus is EVERY way. Not just "some" way.
Music can most definitely and assuredly impact your walk. Some styles are inherently bad, having been birthed from un-Christlike ideals.
It is up to each of us to determine how the music and lyrics interacts with us. It is good to look at several different views and see if any resonate with you.
I personally was introduced to Christian Metal at the age of 11, and it was a gateway into secular metal, which led to a couple years of confusion and depression. Then I came back to "Christian Metal only" after a youth service and a suicide attempt. And though the lyrics were Christian the music did batter me emotionally, something I realize more in retrospect. But I enjoyed it and tried to put all kinds of Christian labels on how I felt (counterfeit worship, counterfeit repentance).
So is this an attack on metal? Eh, hardly. I definitely don't listen to it anymore. I've never been more blessed than when I gave it all up though. Some of the songs I listen to have a bit of a rock beat to it, but I believe the artists did manage to redeem the rock beat in those cases.

This is a good test to put your music through:

Does it humble you, or lift up your pride?
Are the artists performing or leading worship?
The fear of the LORD is to hate evil: pride, and arrogancy, and the evil way, and the froward mouth, do I hate. Proverbs 8:13
Much of today's CCM is pure pride. You can tell by the way they decorate themselves, in the way they interact with the crowd, as well as the boastful lyrics and amplified booming.

Does it invite you to worship God, or does it itself push your emotions high?
22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control. (Galatians 22-23)
Much music is designed to push you into jumping or all sorts of crazyness. That's wrong, especially during worship which is what we are talking about.

Is it beautiful and lovely, or is it grungy?
Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy—meditate on these things. Phil 4:8

Is it just like the world's music?
And you shall make from these a holy anointing oil, an ointment compounded according to the art of the perfumer. It shall be a holy anointing oil. Exodus 30:25
You might think this scripture is a stretch, but the lyrics of today's CCM could acknowledge any God and not just ours. I'm not against all songs that are simple in theology but I wouldn't trust a singer who only sings those type of songs. When God had people make His tabernacle the scent and the design was not to be replicated elsewhere. God likes things to be holy to Him. Not just thrown about carelessly and understood as easily by the world as by Christians.

If you were worldly could you dance inappropriately to it? (headbang, grind?)
That's just good sense. Having not been a Christian my entire life, I was shocked when certain Christian artists got my body doing what it used to in sin.

Anyways. There are more questions, but its really something you can't just be legalistic about. Your decisions need to come from the spirit leading you and teaching you. I just hope I gave you some good information. Music is incredibly important as it has a profound effect on us. We just have to make sure the effect is always producing Christlike desires, ideals, and feelings.

Edited for clarification.

Oh yeah, and remember, what isn't of faith is sin! Thats very important on this subject. You need to be able to back up your decision with a fully convinced mind (opened a tad for the Holy Spirit and Christian counsel).

Thank you Hope, for this. I especially like the quote from Exodus 30. Both the anointing oil and the incense were holy to the Lord; the punishment for offering any other kind, or for using the holy oil and incense for any other purpose than worship, was death.

Also, two of the sons of Aaron offered "strange fire" - incense from the wrong source or in the wrong spirit - and died for it.

This could be a whole new thread on "What is true worship?"

The other side of the coin would be the sort of dead services, and groaned-out hymns you see in many traditional churches.

Or even if there's lively singing it can so easily be in the flesh. We Welsh are good at that. They sing "Bread of Heaven" (Guide me O thou Great Redeemer) with great feeling in rugby football matches! There is this sort of deep, fervent singing and feeling that is perhaps peculiarly Welsh (called "getting into the hwyl" - "hwyl" is difficult to express in English - and probably impossible for most of you to pronounce too!) In churches is probably a soulish counterfeit for operating in the Holy Spirit.

It makes some of us good actors too (Richard Burton, Catherine Zeta Jones etc)

Blessings

Jeannette

2007/7/11 17:26
4christalone

Moscow PA

Re:

Dear ce4,

I have developed some guidelines for my music.

Keith Green Had Some good points.

But could there be that satan has music?

Could there be any arond today?

2007/7/12 23:04Profile
4christalone

Moscow PA

Re:

Dear Littlegift,

Thank you, I agree with the statement on Kieth Green

Oh the need to have people who would walk out when the music does not have the Holy Spirit's confirmation in their heart.

James

2007/7/12 23:09Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy