SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : The Gathering and Gatherer of the Saints

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread

Re: The Gathering and Gatherer of the Saints

Robert said in his leading post, last paragraph:

Quote:
The concept is one of ‘collecting together’. [b]Obviously if there is a collection there is a collector. That collector is the Holy Spirit. The ‘collection’ or ‘gathering’ is the work of the Holy Spirit. This is a most important detail. The Holy Spirit gathers the Saints together in Christ’s name and because of that- there He is in the midst of them[/b]. In every gathering He is gathering the Saints together for a purpose. There are specific things that He is wanting to do. [b]The need for this coming together cannot be overstated[/b]- especially in days of apostacy and persecution.

Apart from your definition of 'the Gathering' as an 'event', I think your emphasis on it being the work of the Holy Spirit to bring saints together, has given me much food for thought.

For this to really work, there are two presuppositions: the knowing by a man / woman of the mind of the Spirit, and an understanding that He gives His Spirit to those who obey Him.

Living in this endless loop of obedience and empowerment for obedience, should make one free from.... every - or many - other constraints, while at the same time binding one into 'the body of Christ' ever more irretrievably.

An extract of the caption under the photo to which Annie linked, says of Watchman Nee

Quote:
He frequently emphasized the fact that anything which is not Christ in resurrection is not the church, and anything not done by the resurrected Christ is a foreign element in the Body.

Recognising the 'foreign element' in the body may vary from one place to another. It could be simply [i]carnality[/i], which has not place in the resurrected Christ, or, it may be more sinister intrusion, such as by those who have no interest in truth.

Only through the Spirit are we able to exhort one another while it is today, both lovingly and to love, while being tender and forgiving of one another's frailties, while at the same time being wise as serpents when it matters.

A Chinese Christian once said to me something like 'O to be as responsive to Him as ... a biscuit which is invisibly cracked, which would break at the slightest touch.' I believe God desires such a responsiveness from us, to the leadings of His Spirit, combined with soldierly devotion to duty.

I confess I have had to have 'duty' dragged out of me, and it is only in retrospect of many years, I can wish I had been less resistant to it. What does 'soldierly devotion' actually mean, then, in our day, age and apparent freedom from persecution? I moot we are more persecuted than we realise - by many a mirage of success; plenty, freedom of movement and so-called [i]purchasing power[/i]. Of course, these things are warned against in scripture, but the practicality of heeding those warnings [i]today[/i], is dawning on me only now - slowly and belatedly.

2007/7/17 8:47
UniqueWebRev

Southern California

Re: The Gathering and Gatherer of the Saints

Quote:

dorcas wrote:

Robert said in his leading post, last paragraph:

Quote:
The concept is one of ‘collecting together’. [b]Obviously if there is a collection there is a collector. That collector is the Holy Spirit. The ‘collection’ or ‘gathering’ is the work of the Holy Spirit. This is a most important detail. The Holy Spirit gathers the Saints together in Christ’s name and because of that- there He is in the midst of them[/b]. In every gathering He is gathering the Saints together for a purpose. There are specific things that He is wanting to do. [b]The need for this coming together cannot be overstated[/b]- especially in days of apostacy and persecution.

Apart from your definition of 'the Gathering' as an 'event', I think your emphasis on it being the work of the Holy Spirit to bring saints together, has given me much food for thought.

For this to really work, there are two presuppositions: the knowing by a man / woman of the mind of the Spirit, and an understanding that He gives His Spirit to those who obey Him.

Living in this endless loop of obedience and empowerment for obedience, should make one free from.... every - or many - other constraints, while at the same time binding one into 'the body of Christ' ever more irretrievably.

For me the Gathering of the Saints has been so operative of the Holy Spirit that I felt I must mention what has been happening to me in this respect.

My disability makes it difficult to be in any meetings that would normally be considered as a gathering of the saints.

And yet the Holy Spirit, aware of my diffiulties, has made the question moot. For whenever I step away from my alone-ness, whether it be by phone to pay bills, or to get information, or doctor's visits, or just going to the market to buy food, I meet almost entirely brothers and sisters in the faith, OR I am given to meet those I am to speak of Jesus to.

Most people I know intimately seem to find that there are very few true Christians around, that the people they meet are unbelievers, profane and carnal, and undisposed to hear the gospel.

They see many people in the course of their days, from work, to errands, to family, and even church. Yet they do not find as many Christians to experience God with as I seem to.

It is a blessing to remember that whenever two believers are gathered together in Jesus' name, He is among them.

I find that even though we do not meet in a formal gathering, nor do we invoke the Name of our Savior, we go instantly into a communion of spirit, a recognition of belonging and a sense of rightness that is a blessing to us both, no matter how brief the meeting.

It is strange, but wonderful, to know that the Holy Spirit will do whatever is necessary to renew the spirits of each of the saints, and that the gathering of a mere two of us for only moments, is as hallowed and blessed by the presence of Jesus, as any more formal gathering together of the saints.

As the days come nearer to the end, I think that we will all find that there is a blessing in a mere few sentences exchanged, in an acknowledgment of God working in our lives. As persecution begins everywhere in the limitation of what we may say as Christians without infringing on another group's 'rights', be assured that no matter the circumstance, the Holy Spirit will find a way for us to meet, if only one on one, to celebrate knowing Him.

Blessings,

Forrest

2007/7/18 5:10Profile

Re:

Bump.

Hey, everyone say hi to the author of this thread.

This link just popped up as I popped on the Homepage. Wanted to leave a comment under this link but it may not be seen there.

So I'll put it here ...

https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/myalbum/photo.php?lid=1012

"Hi Robert, you sure do write good stuff !"

From all of us :-D !

2007/7/18 23:35

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy