Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : Devotional Thoughts : "Forget not all His benefits."

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
pastorfrin

"Forget not all His benefits."

“Forget not all His benefits.”
— Psalm 103:2

It is a delightful and profitable occupation to mark the hand of God in the lives of ancient saints, and to observe his goodness in delivering them, his mercy in pardoning them, and his faithfulness in keeping his covenant with them. But would it not be even more interesting and profitable for us to remark the hand of God in our own lives? Ought we not to look upon our own history as being at least as full of God, as full of his goodness and of his truth, as much a proof of his faithfulness and veracity, as the lives of any of the saints who have gone before? We do our Lord an injustice when we suppose that he wrought all his mighty acts, and showed himself strong for those in the early time, but doth not perform wonders or lay bare his arm for the saints who are now upon the earth. Let us review our own lives. Surely in these we may discover some happy incidents, refreshing to ourselves and glorifying to our God. Have you had no deliverances? Have you passed through no rivers, supported by the divine presence? Have you walked through no fires unharmed? Have you had no manifestations? Have you had no choice favours? The God who gave Solomon the desire of his heart, hath he never listened to you and answered your requests? That God of lavish bounty of whom David sang, “Who satisfieth thy mouth with good things,” hath he never satiated you with fatness? Have you never been made to lie down in green pastures? Have you never been led by the still waters? Surely the goodness of God has been the same to us as to the saints of old. Let us, then, weave his mercies into a song. Let us take the pure gold of thankfulness, and the jewels of praise and make them into another crown for the head of Jesus. Let our souls give forth music as sweet and as exhilarating as came from David’s harp, while we praise the Lord whose mercy endureth for ever.

Spurgeon, C. H.

2007/7/9 4:55Profile
JMax

British Columbia, Canada

Re: "Forget not all His benefits."

Amen brother! That quote from Spurgeon reminded me of a song some brothers wrote entitled, 'Psalm 103'. You may find it encouraging in light of the post:

"All that is in me will bless Your Name
Bless the Lord, O my soul
I will not forget all Your benefits
You forgive all my sins, and You heal my diseases"

http://www.christourlife.ca/new_worship_cd.html

Recently the Lord put it on my heart to write a letter to a family member and encourage her that her prayers for me were heard and answered. I was encouraged how the Lord gave me words to share the testimony of His grace towards me and how I passed out of death into life. It is good to 'forget not all His benefits.' :-)

I have pasted the letter I wrote below if anyone feels lead to read it and thank God with me for His mercy:

The Lord Jesus put it in my heart to write a short letter to encourage you by what He has done in my heart the past 4 years. I remember my mom and dad always telling me that you are praying for all of us kids and I thank God for your prayers; knowing that the Lord has heard them.

Up to four years ago I was living for this world and a slave to various lusts and sin. I had pretty much stopped going to church and seeking God but still honoured Him with my lips, while my heart was far from Him. During my last year at University, God got a hold of a friend of mine and changed his life. God granted him the repentance that leads to life and he was born again and became a new creation in Christ. I saw the testimony of Jesus in him and was drawn to the righteousness, joy and peace he had. God used him to show me the living hope of the gospel—Christ in you. My friend was faithful to God and one evening shared with a group of us what God had done in his life and the truth of the word of God that He had been learning. He shared how God had set him free from drunkenness, lust and many other sins and how he received a clear conscience before God and the peace that passes all understanding. He explained the gospel of the kingdom of God and proclaimed repentance towards God and faith in our Lord Jesus Christ. From the Bible, he shared with us the consequences of a life of sin and the true grace of God that give us the power over the flesh (sinful nature), the world and the devil.

That night the Lord open my blind eyes and gave me ears to hear. The Spirit convicted me of my sin and I realized I needed Jesus to save a wretch like me. Praise be to God; His kindness led me to repentance and He set me free from slavery to sin and I was born again. He took me out of the miry clay and set my feet upon a rock and put a new song in my mouth. I had so much joy and peace that evening; when He delivered me and I became a child of God. From that day on He has given me a love and hunger for His word and has been continuing to change me from glory to glory, into the same image of Jesus. There have been many tests and trials, but the Lord has delivered me out of them all. He is a merciful and loving Father and has set His faith, hope and love in me.

I wanted to thank you and encourage you that God has answered your prayers and has given me a new heart and a new spirit. I pray that He will bless you and fill you with all joy and peace in believing. I love you Grandma and do keep on praying for me and all your grandchildren.

God Bless.

"But the lovingkindness of the LORD is from everlasting to everlasting on those who fear Him, And His righteousness to children's children, To those who keep His covenant And remember His precepts to do them." (Psa 103:17-18)

2007/7/9 20:39Profile

Re:

Joey, I'll be praying for you too.

The enemy doesn't give up people very easily - does he ?

Remember that and hang out with the 'strong' in faith.

I felt 'for' your grandma as I read this and felt for you too.

I know Pastorfrin will appreciate your letter and I know he'll be praying for you also.

He's a great Pastor, if you need a discerning ear, he's a good man for council to men.

Hope he doesn't mind me saying so.

LORD Bless you both.

G.A.

2007/7/9 21:55
pastorfrin

Re:

Hi JMax,

Welcome, and praise the Lord for your new found love in Jesus Christ our Lord. I rejoice with you and am sure your grandmother does as well, along with the angels in heaven. Think about that
whenever you may be discouraged, all the angels in heaven rejoicing over you, praise the Lord!
Thank you for the song it blessed my heart.
Sister Annie was right, I will be praying for you and believing God's best for your life in Christ Jesus; always remember it is in Him we live and move and have our being, and whom the Son sets free is free indeed.
If you ever need an ear just holler.;-)

In His Love
pastorfrin

2007/7/10 5:01Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy