SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : The Authority Of The Ruling Disposition

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

The Authority Of The Ruling Disposition

[i]Then Jesus said unto them, My time is not yet come: but your time is alway ready.[/i] Joh 7:6

Do we know anything of this?
Of holding back and waiting.
Time and timing.

Food for thought ...

What did the Lord mean by;
[i]your time[/i] ... is alway(s) ready?

The sting of accusation. [i]Your[/i] time, the point of fact, someone [i]other[/i], ruling ...

Jer 18:12 And they said, There is no hope: but we will walk after our own devices, and we will every one do the imagination of his evil heart.

Gen 6:5 And GOD saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every imagination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually.

What might seem strange in looking at just these two examples is not that which might immediately spring to mind. In actuality, was looking for a particular word that did not come about in the versions I have available here, even to look elsewhere produced only a piece of commentary;

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

PNT: 2:10 [i]Chiefly them.[/i] Those next named will receive the greater punishment.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[i]That walk after the flesh[/i]. Follow its dictates and live impure lives.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[i]And despise government.[/i] Refuse to submit to [b]*authority[/b]. (*[i]Particular emphasis, my own[/i])
Presumptuous [are they], selfwilled, they are not afraid to speak evil of dignities. A characteristic of this class is their presumption and a want of reverence for what is high and holy. See Jude 1:8.

From [i]But chiefly them that walk after the flesh in the lust of uncleanness, and despise government. Presumptuous are they, selfwilled, they are not afraid to speak evil of dignities.[/i] 2 Peter 2:10

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Still tracking I pray, and before that word, those in the above verses rendered as "imagination" also come up in different versions as "stubbornness". Strongs has it as;

[b]H8307[/b]
שׁרירוּת
sherîyrûth

[i]sher-ee-rooth'[/i]

From H8324 in the sense of [i]twisted[/i], that is, [i]firm; obstinacy[/i]: - imagination, lust.

2Co 10:5 Casting down [u]imaginations[/u], and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;

The word, drawn from the commentary above, [i]That walk after the flesh[/i]. Follow its [i]dictates ...[/i]

[b]Dictate
DICTATE[/b], v.t. [L., to speak.]

1. To tell with authority; to deliver, as an order, command, or direction; as, what God has dictated, it is our duty to believe.

2. To order or instruct what is to be said or written; as, a general dictates orders to his troops.

3. To suggest; to admonish; to direct by impulse on the mind. We say, the spirit of God dictated the messages of the prophets to Israel.

Conscience often dictates to men the rules by which they are to govern their conduct.

DICTATE, n.

1. An order delivered; a command.

2. A rule, maxim or precept, delivered with authority.

I credit what the Grecian dictates say.

3. Suggestion; rule or direction suggested to the mind; as the dictates of reason or conscience.

From [i] Websters 1828 Dictionary[/i]

And when the tempter came to him, [b]he said, If thou be the Son of God, command[/b] that these stones be made bread. But he nswered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God. Then the devil taketh him up into the holy city, and setteth him on a pinnacle of the temple, [b]And saith unto him, If thou be[/b] the Son of God, [b]cast thyself down: for it is written[/b], He shall give his angels charge concerning thee: and in their hands they shall bear thee up, lest at any time thou dash thy foot against a stone. Jesus said unto him, It is written again, Thou shalt not tempt the Lord thy God.

Again, the devil taketh him up into an exceeding high mountain, and sheweth him all the kingdoms of the world, and the glory of them;

And [b]saith unto him[/b], All these things will I give thee, if thou wilt fall down and worship me. Then saith Jesus unto him, Get thee hence, Satan: for it is written, Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God, and him only shalt thou serve.
Mat 4:3-10

Suggestion and dictates. The [i]ruling authority[/i]. Notions and imaginations. Presumption and assumption. Rebellion. Taking matters into our own hands. [i]Impulse[/i]. Reaction. [i]obstinacy[/i]. Usurpations. [i]Casting down[/i] ...

[i]Your time[/i] ... is alway(s) ready

Joh 7:1 After these things Jesus walked in Galilee: for he would not walk in Jewry, because the Jews sought to kill him.
Joh 7:2 Now the Jews' feast of tabernacles was at hand.
Joh 7:3 His brethren therefore said unto him, Depart hence, and go into Judaea, that thy disciples also may see the works that thou doest.
Joh 7:4 For there is no man that doeth any thing in secret, and he himself seeketh to be known openly. If thou do these things, shew
thyself to the world.
Joh 7:5 For neither did his brethren believe in him.
Joh 7:6 Then Jesus said unto them, My time is not yet come: but your time is alway ready.
Joh 7:7 The world cannot hate you; but me it hateth, because I testify of it, that the works thereof are evil.
Joh 7:8 Go ye up unto this feast: I go not up yet unto this feast; for my time is not yet full come.
Joh 7:9 When he had said these words unto them, he abode still in Galilee.
Joh 7:10 But when his brethren were gone up, then went he also up unto the feast, not openly, but as it were in secret.

A word to hide and ponder; "secret"

[i]And he that sent me is with me:
The Father hath not left me alone;
For I do always those things that please him[/i] Joh 8:29

[b]For I do always[/b] ...

Rom 6:16 Do you not know that to whom you yield yourselves as slaves for obedience, you are slaves to him whom you obey; whether it is of sin to death, or of obedience to righteousness.

1Co 3:16 Do you not know that you are a temple of God, and [i]that[/i] the Spirit of God dwells in you?

1Co 6:19 Or do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit in you, whom you have of God? And you are not your own ...

2Co 13:5 examine yourselves, whether you are in the faith, prove your own selves. Do you not know your own selves, that Jesus Christ is in you, unless you are reprobates?

Jas 4:4 Adulterers and adulteresses! Do you not know that the friendship of the world is enmity [i]with[/i] God? Therefore whoever desires to be a friend of the world is the enemy of God.

Do you not know ...?

2007/7/6 10:02Profile
hmmhmm

Sweden

Re: The Authority Of The Ruling Disposition

Brother so much here...

Quote:

crsschk wrote:
For I do always .

isent this what christianity is about really? [b]always....[/b]
For I do always those things that please him Joh 8:29
and most of our christianity should be in secret.... sitting at his feet, learning to hear his voice. When we spend time with people and hang around with a certain type of people we become more and more like them, adding words they use to our vocabulary and soon we start talking similar, maybe start getting intrested in the same things, slowly becoming more like them. Thats why we need this secret place and go there to be with him, i dont know what Jesus ment by "your time is alway"....
maybe its always our time to go to the feast.... but if we should have spent more time in His precance we would wait until the right time.... im just thinking out loud...

2007/7/6 15:50Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re: Under Authority

Quote:
i dont know what Jesus ment by "your time is alway"....

Hi brother. What I was musing on was the aspect that in other words would be equivelant to;

'You do as you like because you are self ruled, [i]your[/i] time is always dictated by your natural dispostion, without question, without a thought'

Quote:
but if we should have spent more time in His precance we would wait until the right time....

Yes brother, that is the thought. Of course as you know, no sooner do the words escape then comes the test, as I found out already earlier this morning even preparing for work. Well on the path to usurping just in the thought life ...

Much work on these lines.

2007/7/6 16:07Profile
enid

Nottingham, England

I don't quite know where to begin. I've been pondering this article for days now.

Quote: Do we know anyting of this?
Of holding back and waiting?

We say we belong to God, crucified, or supposed to be crucified with Christ etc, and yet we please ourselves so much.

We go to bed when WE like, get up when WE like, eat what WE like, watch what WE like, say what WE like and we are supposed to be saved?

What would we be like if we were not saved?

Pretty much like we were before, or worse?

This ungodly flesh demands so much and gets it's way so often you have to question your salvation.

I do, I have to.

James 4v4, ...do you not know that the friendship of the world is enmity with God?...

Friendship with the world? Is that possible for a Christian to be a friend of the world and God's friend too?

Do we not fear God? We should.

Eccles 12v13, ...Fear God and keep His commandments, for this is man's all.

Still have much to ponder.

Thanks for the article.

God bless.

2007/7/12 8:56Profile

Re: The Authority of the Ruling Disposition

This is extracted from a post today by Tears_of_Joy, in Devotional Thoughts 'Shrinking from Doing God's Will' by Watchman Nee.

Quote:
See a few more examples of how Christ walked in the will of God:

John iv. 34 shows the Spirit of God guiding the Lord at the well, when, in answer to the disciples who were anxiously inquiring about His food, He said, "My meat is to do the will of Him that sent me..." In John vii. 3, 6, His brethren said to Him, "Depart from hence...Jesus saith to them, My time is not yet come, but your time is alway ready." [b]Here is the restraining power of the Spirit, so that He is not moved by His brethren[/b].

Again in John xi. 5, 6, we read, "Now Jesus loved Martha and her sister and Lazarus. When He had heard therefore that he was sick He abode two days still in the same place where he was." His were spiritual bonds. It was God's will first. Though misjudged by those He loved, He did not move. How did He know God's will? He was never moved from outside; never moved by a family taunt, by sarcasm and unbelief; never moved even by the calls of love. He was in spiritual bonds to do God's will.

emphasis mine

2007/7/17 14:56
pastorfrin

Some thoughts from Spurgeon that may help.

“A bruised reed shall he not break, and smoking flax shall he not quench.”
— Matthew 12:20

What is weaker than the bruised reed or the smoking flax? A reed that groweth in the fen or marsh, let but the wild duck light upon it, and it snaps; let but the foot of man brush against it, and it is bruised and broken; every wind that flits across the river moves it to and fro. You can conceive of nothing more frail or brittle, or whose existence is more in jeopardy, than a bruised reed. Then look at the smoking flax—what is it? It has a spark within it, it is true, but it is almost smothered; an infant’s breath might blow it out; nothing has a more precarious existence than its flame. Weak things are here described, yet Jesus says of them, “The smoking flax I will not quench; the bruised reed I will not break.” Some of God’s children are made strong to do mighty works for him; God has his Samsons here and there who can pull up Gaza’s gates, and carry them to the top of the hill; he has a few mighties who are lion-like men, but the majority of his people are a timid, trembling race. They are like starlings, frightened at every passer by; a little fearful flock. If temptation comes, they are taken like birds in a snare; if trial threatens, they are ready to faint; their frail skiff is tossed up and down by every wave, they are drifted along like a sea bird on the crest of the billows—weak things, without strength, without wisdom, without foresight. Yet, weak as they are, and because they are so weak, they have this promise made specially to them. Herein is grace and graciousness! Herein is love and lovingkindness! How it opens to us the compassion of Jesus—so gentle, tender, considerate! We need never shrink back from his touch. We need never fear a harsh word from him; though he might well chide us for our weakness, he rebuketh not. Bruised reeds shall have no blows from him, and the smoking flax no damping frowns.

Spurgeon, C. H.

2007/7/19 20:41Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy