SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : General Topics : Are Church Constitutions Scriptural?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
roadsign

Re: D A Carson sermons

Here is a link to some thought-provoking messages on postmodernism, the emergent church, etc:

[url=http://anaselli.blogspot.com/2006/12/mp3s-of-d-carson.html]D A Carson - sermons [/url]

Carson is up to date! He addresses the issues that threaten our modern church.

In view of what this theologian is saying, how might we word a church constitution today?

2007/7/10 8:56Profile

Re:

Quote:
This past weekend we met a pastor who said how he used to think formal church membership was not essential to the life of a believer and the brotherhood but he has learned otherwise.

When we meet in homes or on the streets of Detroit we have no membership or bylaws. Those who are members are united only by walking daily in the light (1 John 1) and our membership book is the lambs book of life (rev 20). The bylaws are recorded in scripture and the Spirit bares witness to them.

I am not picking on anyone, but this thread typifies the babylonian mindset that our "church" system is plauged with.

I am going to write an article soon on how God saved me from "church" to expound on this further, until then "Come out from her my people, run for your lives." The overwhelming majority of western organized "christianity" is a great whore, and is a counterfit imposter of what the true Church is.

In Christ - Jim

2007/7/10 9:14
roadsign

Re:

Quote:
God saved me from "church"

Jim, I thought that God saves us from OUR sins.

While I can relate to your comments about the “church”, I feel that you have created a “we” and “them”, and it looks like I’m one of the “them’s”. So, in essence you have lumped me in with “Babylon” – along with thousands of other believers. I wonder if you would feel that way if you heard some of the messages on the suggested link I posted.

Let’s admit, numerous groups of believers throughout history have felt that they were the ones who finally “found” the right way. But in time it became apparent that they had some blindspots, or fell prey to heresy. How does a non-structured “group” like yours guard against specific threats that arise from the culture they are immersed in? .. ex: syncretism? If that was a problem in the first century, surely now too.

By the way, Jim, I suspect that your testimony parallels mine in many ways. I admit, MY sin was not “the church”, but my idolatrous reliance on it. Now I serve in the institutional church, not to give me a sense of righteousness, but to be a light in it. From "within" I can see that the creeds serve as a useful platform from which to expose the fact that we have strayed.

(Creeds may also serve to expose the erroneous priorities in constitutions)
Diane

2007/7/10 13:21Profile

Re:

Quote:
Jim, I thought that God saves us from OUR sins.

Come on now sis, if I would have said He saved me from crack addiction it would have been ok...

Quote:
While I can relate to your comments about the “church”, I feel that you have created a “we” and “them”, and it looks like I’m one of the “them’s”.

No, I don't mean to do that though it is unavoidable to a degree. I have no problem with people who fellowship in a building, some of the God fearing pastors here on SI that I listen to rpeach from pulpits.

Quote:
Let’s admit, numerous groups of believers throughout history have felt that they were the ones who finally “found” the right way

you are right in that there is always a small group of Godly saints that break away from and becomes a reproach to the counterfit religous system of their day.

Quote:
How does a non-structured “group” like yours guard against specific threats that arise from the culture they are immersed in? .. ex: syncretism? If that was a problem in the first century, surely now too.

The word of God is quite sufficient! As an example we have people who study Wesley along with Spurgeon or Finney. We are united as 1 John 1 says by walking in the light. What threat shall overtake us in that place... propserity doctrine, lasciviousness, false manifestations?

Dear sister, as long as you are not taking part in unclean alters, stay in the "system" and be a light.. as long as God calls you to so. May He richly bless and gaurd your heart in Christ Jesus. BTW, for all who are called and are walking in the light, perfecting holiness and bearing fruit in accordance with repentance, there is no us or them... being in Christ Jesus we are one body.

In Him - Jim

2007/7/11 11:00

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy