SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : love your enemies??

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread

love your enemies??

recently reading the book of Luke has troubled me.

luke 5:27 tells us: "Love your enemies, do good to them which hate you."

luke 19:27 says: "But those mine enemies, which would not that I shold reeign over them, bring hither, and slay them before me."

is Jesus telling us to love our enemies and hate and kill those who are His enemies??

these points seem to be unreconcilable.

your thoughts and prayers are welcome.

bubbagguy

2007/7/1 16:23

Re: love your enemies??

Hi bubbaguy,

Luke 19 is about Judgment day and what will happen to those at the end.

As far as "our" enemies, he says to love them because "vengence is Mine saith The Lord" , he will repay His enemies come judgment day.
Our enemies are His enemies, or at least that's how it should be. We should never make an enemy out of one of His.

and He'll take care of HIS/our enemies, come the Judgment.

Not us killing anyone in the here and now. Amen!

Still need prayer ?

His Love.
Annie

2007/7/1 18:45
rocklife

usa

I agree that the verse in Luke is talking about later in Judgement Day with the final judgements. This is the time for salvation. It is not our place to be judge of who is saved and who is not, that is God's, He is the One who knows everything and all secret things of people's hearts, we can't always see others like that very well. We need to reach out, now is the time for laborers to go into God's harvest and help offer and bring salvation and not judge them. Missionaries who reach out to cannibals and murderers are a great example of reaching out to "enemies", and God has changed some of their hearts in these ways, so we should not be so hasty to judge others.

God knows the beginning, middle, and end of all time and history, sometimes He is telling us in the bible of future, but He also shares what we need to be doing now, there are seasons for everything. We should continue in Bible studies and prayerful following Jesus and make sure we are doing the right things in the right times, keep studying, it is a blessing!

2007/7/1 19:18Profile
InTheLight

Phoenix, Arizona USA

Quote:
is Jesus telling us to love our enemies and hate and kill those who are His enemies??

Is not this the prerogative of the Judge of the quick and the dead? Are you offended that this is not your prerogative?

He is God, He is other.

In Christ,

Ron

2007/7/1 19:31Profile

Re:

the thing is, Jesus was a pacifist and admonished us to love those who hate us. "Father forgive them, for they know not what they do"

why does the God of Love need to employ violence in order to bring about justice??

Ron, your post implies that i have no standing to put forth this kind of question, that we should not question things in the Bible and just accept that we are to (and will) violently slay the enemies of Jesus before Him.

it doesn't make any sense at all.

bub

2007/7/3 21:32
roaringlamb

Santa Cruz California

Re:

Quote:
Jesus was a pacifist

This might change your mind about this-
Matthew 10:34 [b]Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword[/b]

Revelation 19:11 And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and [b]in righteousness he doth judge and make war.[/b]

Doesn't sound like He is a pacifist from these verses, yet He is also not a cruel judge who punishes without cause as all have sinned.

We must remember that Christ has three offices, Prophet, Priest, and King. As king, He is absolutely just in doing whatsoever He pleases as He is King of all things, there is not one iota of Earth that is not under His authority. This is wondrous to the child of God, but horrible in the ears of the unsaved.

2007/7/3 22:25Profile

Re:

Roaringlamb

Yes, Christ has all authority over mankind. The passage from Matthew is prophetic: the teachings of Christ would bring war among people and nations. the war refered to in the Revelation is symbolic, good waging war against and overcoming evil.

it is said that actions speak louder than words, and I believe that the life of Jesus demonstated this truth. Jesus showed us that even though the flesh may be killed by violent and hateful people, the spirit of life and grace will persevere and reign in Glory forever.

if Christians would truly follow after Christ and love our enemies, war would come to an end because it would be clear to our enemies that their hatred is useless and self-defeating.

bub

2007/7/3 23:12
roaringlamb

Santa Cruz California

Re:

Brother I do not believe war would come to and end no matter how much we live like Christ in this world. War is inevitible as satan controls ungodly men, and drives their lusts for more and more power regardless of what it costs. We however are called to proclaim the Kingdom that is eternal, and ths King above all kings in hope that His Spirit would open ears to hear the good news, and open eyes to see the truth.

Fallen man has no regard for godly principles, thus other men become expendible if in the way of attaining a goal.

2007/7/3 23:45Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy