SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Are all Speakers on SI Baptist?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
PosterThread
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re:

Quote:
I have never heard David Wilkerson preaching that evidence of being baptized in the Holy Spirit is speaking in tongues.

He actually dedicated an entire chapter to it in "The Cross and the Switchblade".

Brother Paul

2007/6/30 17:34Profile
Tears_of_joy

Re:

Quote:
Tears of Joy, can you not read?

I found your request quite unclear.

Do you look for preachers who have the baptism in the Holy Spirit?

or

Those who have the baptism and claim that the evidence is speaking in tongues?

Because these are different things, many claim that are baptized in the Holy Spirit, but they don't speak in tongues.

2007/6/30 17:44Profile
PassingThru

Re: Are all Speakers on SI Baptist?

[url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/articles/index.php?view=article&aid=255]Smith Wigglesworth[/url]

PassingThru

2007/6/30 17:56Profile
FreebyWord

Re:

I believe Tozer came out of the Church of the Alliance founded by A.B. Simpson

2007/6/30 17:57Profile
roaringlamb

Santa Cruz California

Re:

Here is a shocking thing to behold, but if you have been born of the Spirit, you have the Spirit, and can speak from the Spirit as He directs and guides.

In this sense, many on SI who are not even preachers in churches preach here all the time. Some more than others of course :-P

2007/6/30 18:01Profile
CJaKfOrEsT

Melbourne, Australia

Re: Are all Speakers on SI Baptist?

Art Katz, J Edwin Orr (he didn't speak in tongues, but believed in the gift), David Pawson, Ron Bailey (not sure if he speaks in tongues), George Verwer, Jack Hayford, Jackie Pulinger, Kathryn Kuhlman, Derek Prince, Jacob Prasch, Winkie Pratney, and Andrew Strom.

These are ones that haven't been mentioned, who I have heard say that either they speak in tongues, or are involved with the charismatic movement.

2007/6/30 19:58Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re:

Quote:
Baptist, presbyterian, United, Methodist, Lutheran and this list can go on and on. Tozer might have been United yet has the baptism, and if so, I'd hear him. Ravenhill might have been Methodist, and yet has the baptism, and if so, I'd hear him.

I hope that makes my request clearer.

Only in that it raises another question;

"I'd hear him"

Are you then making this a litmus test? I certainly hope not, it would be your loss. What I find disheveling about this is the manner of characterizing or compartmentalizing a man before even given him a hearing.

Besides that you are now setting up categories based on something that might have much further explanation and a completely different take on the matter.

2007/6/30 22:18Profile

Re:

I know that [b]A. W. Tozer[/b] was apart of the Christian and Missionary Alliance Churches; which was a holiness denomination started by A. B. Simpson.

(A. B. Simpson wrote a classic book called "Wholly Sanctified")

And I know that [b]Leonard Ravenhill[/b] was apart of the Pentecostal Holiness Churches. Leonard was a pretty classic Pentecostal Holiness preacher. He didn't believe in wedding rings, make-up, and taught holiness of heart. The only thing that seperated Leonard from the average Pentecostal Holiness Churches is that he did not speak in tongues.

He was Pentecostal in that He believed in the Baptism, and believed in all the gifts. But he believed the Spirit gives different gifts to different believers at their Holy Ghost baptism.

And I'm not sure what denomination [b]Paris Reidhead[/b] was in. But friends of mine who knew him said he was in the Moral Government camp theologically, which subscribed to Finneys theological teachings. Paris originally was in Baptist Churches I believe. And I think he spoke in tongues.

And [b]Vance Havner[/b] was a classic Southern Baptist.

2007/7/1 0:11
CJaKfOrEsT

Melbourne, Australia

Re:

Quote:

Lazarus1719 wrote:
And I'm not sure what denomination Paris Reidhead was in. But friends of mine who knew him said he was in the Moral Government camp theologically, which subscribed to Finneys theological teachings. Paris originally was in Baptist Churches I believe. And I think he spoke in tongues.

Paris was expelled from the Baptist missionary organisation that he was a part of, over the issue of his receiving the Baptism of the Holy Spirit, and various associated gifts of the Spirit, including the gift of tongues (his words). He went on to join the Christian and Missionary Alliance, pastoring the church which AB Simpson founded, the New York Tabarnacle.

2007/7/1 0:31Profile

Re:

I had some previous researched scripture notes on this subject but did not locate them I will summarize lightly from memory and scripture passages. The Bible talks on tongues in three different ways.
The first:
Other tongues
Acts 2:4
4 And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.
KJV
1 Cor 14:21
21 In the law it is written, With men of other tongues and other lips will I speak unto this people; and yet for all that will they not hear me, saith the Lord.
KJV

My thoughts this was done to get the gospel message to all languages. God does whatever he needs to do get his word all nations.

It is still done in a sense today when we translate the Bible into ll languages.

Unknown Tongues
1 Cor 14:2
2 For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries.
KJV
1 Cor 14:4
4 He that speaketh in an unknown tongue edifieth himself; but he that prophesieth edifieth the church.
KJV
1 Cor 14:13-14
13 Wherefore let him that speaketh in an unknown tongue pray that he may interpret.
14 For if I pray in an unknown tongue, my spirit prayeth, but my understanding is unfruitful.
KJV
1 Cor 14:13-14
13 Wherefore let him that speaketh in an unknown tongue pray that he may interpret.
14 For if I pray in an unknown tongue, my spirit prayeth, but my understanding is unfruitful.
KJV
1 Cor 14:19
19 Yet in the church I had rather speak five words with my understanding, that by my voice I might teach others also, than ten thousand words in an unknown tongue.
KJV
1 Cor 14:27-28
27 If any man speak in an unknown tongue, let it be by two, or at the most by three, and that by course; and let one interpret.
28 But if there be no interpreter, let him keep silence in the church; and let him speak to himself, and to God.
KJV

with tongues
1 Cor 14:39
39 Wherefore, brethren, covet to prophesy, and forbid not to speak with tongues.
KJV

new tongues
Mark 16:17
17 And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues;
KJV

When we witness about Jesus we are speaking in new tongues. We are a new creation, old things have passed away all things have become new.
We don't say the things we used to say.

As far as someone having a prayer language to God even though I don't have one I would say "nothing is impossible with God" and with God all things are possible". I am a member of a baptist church but my membership card to a local body don’t get the cigar. Am I HIS CHILD. Do I know HIM. Have accepted Jesus and made HIM Lord of my life? That is the saving grace.
The resolution that was passed not long ago about tongues is getting into dangerous territory. But I would also say if anyone leads people to believe that anything they do in any manner comes from God they better make sure that it indeed came from God if they do it. As I said God can do anything in anyway he chooses. Who am I to say any different?

2007/7/1 2:17

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy