SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Promoting Authentic Biblical Christianity.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : General Topics : What IS the Gospel

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
FreebyWord

What IS the Gospel

A few years ago, over the course of one day, I asked each person who entered the Christian book store where I worked, that very question. I won't share with you what I learned or my experience.

I very sincerely pose that very question to this group:

What IS the gospel?

2007/6/30 16:30Profile
roaringlamb

Santa Cruz California

Re: What IS the Gospel

I snagged this from the 9 marks site, but I believe it sums up very well what the "good news" is. The context of the response is in lieu of this- (1) You are standing on stage before 100,000 people from every nation on earth and asked to share the gospel in 100 words or less. What would you say?

The response is from a gentleman named Michael Horton.

[i](1) What is your greatest fear? If I were asking that question in many parts of the world, answers would probably cluster around basic needs such as running water, food, vaccines, and shelter. For most of us in the United States, though, our greatest fears are more likely to be things like the fear of loneliness, some cataclysmic event that throws me off the ladder of upward mobility, divorce, or the inability to find any ultimate meaning in life. None of these fears is illegitimate, yet none is ultimate. These fears haunt us only because we have the luxury of having them haunt us. Until we are confronted with the reality of God—in all of his blinding majesty, weightiness, and frightful claim on our lives—we are overwhelmed by secondary troubles. But when for some reason there is the slightest glimpse of God in his holiness, we either do our best to domesticate him, turn him into a pet by suppressing the truth, or run for the hills to escape the confrontation.

God should be your greatest fear. Yet there is no salvation from God's just judgment from anywhere else than God himself. Only the same God who fills us with fear is able also to give us peace. If we are to escape this judgment, it will only be the result of the greatness in God's heart and not something in our own. That God has moved toward us—even lunged toward us—not in judgment, as we should have expected, but in loving embrace and reconciliation, clothing us in Christ's righteousness so that we can be acceptable in his holy presence, is the good news that you are called here and now to embrace. Christ lived a perfect life in the place of sinners, bore their sins on the cross, and was raised again for our justification. This means that "there is therefore now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus." Not because of anything that you have done, experienced, attempted, or decided, but because of what he has accomplished for you, can you be assured of God's favor. It is good news, not good advice. It is not a call to self-improvement, but to die to self altogether and be raised a new person, in Christ. It is the free gift of forgiveness of sins, right standing with God, adoption as his heirs, and liberation from the tyranny of sin. As his ambassador, I am calling you in his name to be reconciled to God by turning away from all other saviors and lords and embracing Jesus Christ as your righteousness, holiness, and redemption. Come to him now. His love is greater than your enmity toward him; his grace is greater than your sin; his peace is greater than your fears.[/i]

2007/6/30 16:56Profile
vico

I would like to share with you a faithful saying which is worthy of all acceptation: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners of whom i am chief.

2007/6/30 17:31Profile
roaringlamb

Santa Cruz California

Re:

1 Corinthians 15:1 Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you the gospel which I preached unto you, which also ye have received, and wherein ye stand;
1 Corinthians 15:2 By which also ye are saved, if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain.
1 Corinthians 15:3 For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures;
1 Corinthians 15:4 And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:
1 Corinthians 15:5 And that he was seen of Cephas, then of the twelve:
1 Corinthians 15:6 After that, he was seen of above five hundred brethren at once; of whom the greater part remain unto this present, but some are fallen asleep.
1 Corinthians 15:7 After that, he was seen of James; then of all the apostles.
1 Corinthians 15:8 And last of all he was seen of me also, as of one born out of due time.

2007/6/30 17:40Profile
vsuarez

Re: THE GOSPEL

The gospel IS the love of God expressed in the brutal punishment taken by ONE man FOR all mankind deserving of that very punishment.

The gospel IS ONE man dying FOR all mankind deserving of death (seperation from God eternally).

The gospel IS ONE man buried in the grave (tomb) and in three days was resurrected FOR us, that we also may be resurrected.

The gospel IS ONE man who humbles HIMSELF and willingly suffered the pains of humanity, leaving HIS glorious splender in the heavens, in order to reclaim and restore our rightful position FOR us.

The gospel IS ONE man who prepared a path of HIS own will in order to bring many son's back to their original glory.

The gospel IS ONE man whose holy and consecrated life destroyed Satan's authority to keep us in a perpetual state of death because of sin.

The gospel is ONE man who defeated and reclaimed the power of death and the grave through His sinless life, thus removing its authority.

The gospel is ONE man who entered into heaven to appear before the Magesity on high in order that the He might remove shame Adam gave to us since the garden of Eden.

The gospel is ONE man's vicarious sacrifice, the just FOR the unjust, while we were yet in our rebelious state, so that we could experience freedom and victory over the flesh, world and the Devil.

The gospel is ONE man, whose love knows no boundaries, that FIRST love us, causing those who will, to lovingly and willingly bow at HIS magestic and holy feet.

2007/6/30 20:18Profile

I'll tell you what the Gospel is NOT:

It is NOT a doctrinal statement

It is NOT a certain theology

It is NOT a certain creed, denomination or sect

The Gospel IS not a thing, it's a PERSON -

[b]The Gospel is JESUS CHRIST[/b]

Those who are to be saved are only saved by knowing HIM personally. Millions know theologies, dogmas, creeds, and certain information, but few know HIM in truth.

2007/7/5 0:35

Re:

Sinners crucified Jesus the Son of God, Tis the way of cursed children who continue in sin, they love death and hate God.

The wrath of God abides upon them.

Jesus Christ was crucified for sinners, Tis the way of the blessed Son of God who continues in righteousness and gave His life a ransom for many.

The wrath of God came down on Him.

Jesus bore the sin of many, and made intercession for the transgressors.

...And God Him self fought against His own Son with an outstretched hand and with a strong arm, even in anger, and in fury, and in great wrath.

He died and He was buried.

God raised His Son from dead on the third day, He was seen by over 500 brethren at once, He ascended into heaven, He is Lord of all who intercedes, and shall save His people from their sins.

He's coming, He's coming to judge the world with righteousness. He will have mercy on whom He will have mercy, and He will have compassion on whom He will have compassion. Jesus said, "No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day."

Kiss the Son, Lest He be angry, and ye perish from the way, when His wrath is kindled but a little. Blessed are all they that put their trust in Him. Let the wicked forsake his way, and the unrighteous man his thoughts: and let him return unto the LORD, and he will have mercy upon him; and to our God, for he will abundantly pardon.

2007/7/5 1:39
vsuarez

Re:

Quote:

Josef_Urban wrote:

[b]The Gospel is JESUS CHRIST[/b]

Those who are to be saved are only saved by knowing HIM personally. Millions know theologies, dogmas, creeds, and certain information, but few know HIM in truth.

AMEN!!

1 Corithians 2:2 "I determined not to know anything among you except Jesus Christ and Him CRUCIFIED".

Oh, wonderful cross
Bids me come and die
That I may truly live.

Let's exalt the cross of Christ, our only means of redemption and salvation.

Hallelujah! :-D

2007/7/5 9:12Profile

Re:

The gospel is this.

I love you, I died for you, I arose for you and I have come to give you life. Receive me, love me, obey me, all will be well.

You don't have to preach against sin, the holy Ghost knows His job, He'll convict the sinner in conjunction with your preaching. He's a comforter, a helpmeet.

We preach Christ and the Good News, and the Holy Ghost will convict hearts.

2007/7/5 10:35

Re:

Quote:

The Gospel is JESUS CHRIST

Thank you dear brother, as the Apsotle well said the Kingdom of God is not in word but in power. Many have the words, even the correct words, but where is the powerful reality of the kingdom of God in our lives that comes from truly walking with Him.

In Christ - Jim

2007/7/5 10:45

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy