SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Sola Scriptura?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
lovegrace

Sola Scriptura?

Recently, I've been looking through myself and God has been showing me things. I'm starting to question a lot of things that I believe, on a deeper level.

I know this probably sounds like blasphmy, or something, but what are the verses, chapters, etc in the bible that says ONLY the written Word of God is our basis in everything?

What is 'Sola Scriptura'?
Is it biblical?
If it IS biblical, then why do we read anything outside of the bible? Does God condone this, (verses needed)?

I'm asking this question sincernly because I don't know. I read a lot of books outside of the bible and experience things outside of the bible but they don't contradict the written Word.

I'm looking for an honest discussion about this belief. I'm asking that we all step outside of our own self and take an honest look at the topic at hand.

Thanks, Let's begin.

2007/6/30 14:22Profile

Re: Sola Scriptura!

LoveGrace, I'm just a little confused with your first sentence that leads to the rest of these questions. They're not bad questions, but I was wondering how the first line tied in with them.

Quote:"Recently, I've been looking through myself and God has been showing me things. I'm starting to question a lot of things that I believe, on a deeper level."

Secondly, you sort of answered your own question here...

Quote:What is 'Sola Scriptura'?
Is it biblical?
[Question]If it IS biblical, then why do we read anything outside of the bible? Does God condone this, (verses needed)?
I'm asking this question sincernly because I don't know. I read a lot of books outside of the bible and experience things outside of the bible [Answer]but they don't contradict the written Word.[end quote]

Jesus was/is The Word made flesh.
The Word that we read is divinely inspired and the whole of it is. It's the only book on earth that can make that claim.

You answered your question up there and that's great.

We should be Berean-like, and know the Word for ourselves, have our doctrines down with the Lord first and then we can read or listen to others "expound" on the Written Word, so that we won't be deceived into false teachings that are extra-biblical.

Do you have the www.e-sword.net Downloads ?

I think folks should look up verses for themselves and are responsible to God to know His Word for themselves. That is why He wrote John 16:13.

I think we should encourage/exhort each other this way, to search His Word out for ourselves, rather than be the Bible-answer-folks, because we each shall stand before Him when He asks, "what did you do with My Word & Spirit of Truth ?"

His Love to you.

Love your nickname too. :-)

2007/6/30 14:37
psalm1

Re: Sola Scriptura?

Lovegrace,I believe when you read a book written by a true man of God it is as if you are fellowshipping with that man.No one has the complete revelation.I need what you have and vis versa.I love the word of God and I love to read annointed books.The people that read the bible only , I commend them. But really they dont know what they are missing
....David

2007/6/30 14:46Profile
roaringlamb

Santa Cruz California

Re:

LoveGrace,

Sola Scriptura was the teaching of the Reformers that was brought about to combat the Roman Catholic idea that Scripture could not be interpreted by individuals. For example, if you are in the Roman Catholic Church, you must interpret the passage as the fathers or councils before have interpreted it, or risk being banished, or anathematized.

In answer to the other part of your question, I have included a link to a wonderful article I hope answers you..

[url=http://teampyro.blogspot.com/2007/01/sola-scriptura-and-role-of-teachers-in.html]Sola Scriptura[/url]

P.S. Sometimes some of our greatest discoveries from the Scriptures come when we are challenged as to why we believe what we do, either way, His grace is sufficient to see you through not only the blissful days, but also the tempestuous nights :-D

2007/6/30 14:52Profile
pastorfrin

Re: Sola Scriptura?

Hi lovegrace,

These are scriptures we are all familiar with but they tell us so much:

2 Tim. 2:11-16
It is a faithful saying: For if we be dead with him, we shall also live with him: [12] If we suffer, we shall also reign with him: if we deny him, he also will deny us: [13] If we believe not, yet he abideth faithful: he cannot deny himself. [14] Of these things put them in remembrance, charging them before the Lord that they strive not about words to no profit, but to the subverting of the hearers. [15] Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth. [16] But shun profane and vain babblings: for they will increase unto more ungodliness.

2 Tim. 3:10-17
But thou hast fully known my doctrine, manner of life, purpose, faith, longsuffering, charity, patience, [11] Persecutions, afflictions, which came unto me at Antioch, at Iconium, at Lystra; what persecutions I endured: but out of them all the Lord delivered me. [12] Yea, and all that will live godly in Christ Jesus shall suffer persecution. [13] But evil men and seducers shall wax worse and worse, deceiving, and being deceived. [14] But continue thou in the things which thou hast learned and hast been assured of, knowing of whom thou hast learned them; [15] And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus. [16] All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: [17] That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.

What do these scriptures tell us to do? If this is not true than our salvation is not true and I know by His Spirit within me that my salvation is true.

Romans 10:17
So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.

Without His word all the books ever written are meaningless.

In His Love
pastorfrin

2007/6/30 14:57Profile

Re: Sola Scriptura !

roaringlamb, I don't believe we should get our doctrine from men.

I just feel being Berean is the way to go.

We're personally responsible for what we believe, before GOD.
We can't say, "so and so taught me", when we stand before Him.

No matter 'who' the teacher is ... if we're not Bereans, we will be judged for that.

Not being hard here, just knowing that Jesus did not take sending His Spirit lightly.

Sola Scriptura is just a latin term for a major truth ... we are People of The Word Only.

Praise GOD! Calvin didn't say it first ~ GOD did!

2007/6/30 15:04
roaringlamb

Santa Cruz California

Re:

I don't understand what you are getting at, but the main ideas that came from the Reformation were-
Sola Scriptura(Scripture Alone)
Sola Fide(Faith Alone)
Sola Gratia(Grace Alone)
Solus Christus(Christ Alone)
Soli Deo Gloria(Glory To God Alone)

I don't think I said anything about Calvin.

It is the height of arrogance to think that I can deduce al I need to know about Scripture without any help from any one else, and it is alos the height of foolishness to not weigh everything read by Scripture alone as the plumb line.

Also Grannie, if you do not think we should get our doctrine from men, why read the Bible? ;-)
After all, aren't you getting your doctrine from men?(I speak facetiously, not questioning the Divine authorship of Scripture)

2007/6/30 15:20Profile
lovegrace

Re: Hmm, let me change the topic

Sola Scriptura. Okay. Hmm, I'm not challenging that then because absolutly I agree with that. Now that I understand what it really means.

INSTEAD, I'm challenging EXTRA-Biblical information. What does the bible say about 'things outside of the bible'? How shall we deal with them? Shall we just read ONLY the bible and no extra-biblical resources?

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

CHANGING TOPIC TO EXTRA-BIBLICAL SOURCES!! Sorry! Thanks for informing me about Sola Scriptura but I thought it meant 'only read scripture' not 'God inspired Word of God'.

So. Here are my new questions.

What does the bible say about 'things outside of the bible'?

How shall we deal with them?

Shall we just read ONLY the bible and no extra-biblical resources?

2007/6/30 15:30Profile
roaringlamb

Santa Cruz California

Re:

Quote:
What does the bible say about 'things outside of the bible'?

Everything must be filtered through the truth of Scripture, no matter how true it sounds.

2007/6/30 15:34Profile

Re: ROARINGLAMB

Ha, I should have taken a nickname like that. Har !

You do to "know what I'm getting at".

To whomever you attribute the term "sola Scriptura" - I'm just saying that in your first post with the reference to that Site ... that it was GOD Who first coined that term, not men.

I DO NOT believe it is "the height of arrogance to think that I can deduce all I need to know about Scripture without any help from anyone else"

If you were stranded on a deserted island with just a Bible --- who would teach you ?

And your last lines (edit: in yer reply to me) were just down right silly. :-P

Love you brother !
SOLA-SCRIPTURA-Annie-but-not-reformed.

And don't call me Grannie! Haaaa. :-D

2007/6/30 15:34

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy