SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : How do you...?

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
UniqueWebRev

Southern California

How do you...?

How do you talk to someone who has never thought of God?

What do you do with that blank stare, when you ask, "Do you know my Friend, Jesus?"

For the first time I came up against someone so young, and so secular, that God had not entered her thoughts as a real idea, or a valid topic.

She was totally uninterested in even the idea of God. No spark of interest, not even dislike of the topic, but a blank stare of incomprehension!

How do you witness to that?

You've got less than 30 seconds to catch someone's interest on average, and unless you are doing it with Cameron Williams, and a lot of camera's, asking the 'do you lie, do you steal, do you...then you are going to hell scenario.', that one is far too combative for a doctor's waiting room, or a long line in a store.

For even that presupposes interest in a conversation about the topic.

So when this happens to me again...what do I do?

Blessings,

Forrest

2007/6/29 2:32Profile

Re: How do you...?

Preach the Word of God to them.

"The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament showeth his handiwork. Day unto day uttereth speech, and night unto night showeth knowledge. There is no speech nor language, where their voice is not heard." [Psa 19:1-3]

"For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who hold the truth in unrighteousness;
Because that which may be known of God is manifest in them; for God hath showed it unto them. For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse: Because that, when they knew God, they glorified him not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened." [Rom 1:18-21]

I've heard far to many people shy away from preaching sin, law, righteouseness and judgment to come... because they fear that they will lose the crowd or the person their witnessing to.

What did Paul do?
"And after certain days, when Felix came with his wife Drusilla, which was a Jewess, he sent for Paul, and heard him concerning the faith in Christ. And as he reasoned of righteousness, temperance, and judgment to come, Felix trembled, and answered, Go thy way for this time; when I have a convenient season, I will call for thee." [Act 24:24-25]

I have written this following brief exposition of Romans 1-2 for Christians to examine their message and see if they preach the same things Paul preached.
God bless you brother!

Are you sure you’re not ashamed of the gospel of Christ?
“For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek.” [Rom 1:16] “Whosoever therefore shall be ashamed of me and of my words in this adulterous and sinful generation; of him also shall the Son of man be ashamed, when he cometh in the glory of his Father with the holy angels.” [Mar 8:38] “Be not thou therefore ashamed of the testimony of our Lord, nor of me his prisoner: but be thou partaker of the afflictions of the gospel according to the power of God” [2Ti 1:8] “All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness” [2Ti 3:16]

As a Christian, if you confess this truth in your heart of being not ashamed of the gospel of Christ… what gospel are you not ashamed of? Is it the gospel of Christ? What is the message that you are preaching? What is the doctrine and the whole counsel you preach and are not ashamed of?

The tragedy of modern preaching and teaching methods of the gospel, is that men have cunningly taken out vital reproofs of instruction found in chapters 1 and 2 of the book of Romans from their so called exhortation and (so as not to offend their hearers) they begin in the middle of chapter 3 by briefly mentioning sin instead of carefully depicting it, as found in chapters 1 and 2. In Paul’s presentation of the gospel in the book of Romans (which is the example we should follow), he covers some doctrine in chapters 1 and 2 that many worldly and modern preachers alike are very ashamed to give testimony of in such clearness as revealed in God’s Word.

1. The Righteousness of God
2. The Wrath of God
3. The Law of God
4. The Unrighteousness of Man
5. The Judgment of God
6. The Day of Wrath and Revelation of the Righteous Judgment of God
7. God’s Hell Is Preached
8. God Shall Judge the Secrets of Men by Jesus Christ
9. Sin Is Personalized

“Come, ye children, hearken unto me: I will teach you the fear of the LORD.” [Psa 34:11]

1. “The Righteousness of God” [Rom 1:17] …
I am not ashamed to preach the righteousness of God to “a generation that are pure in their own eyes” [Pro 30:12], to men who “will proclaim every one his own goodness” [Pro 20:6], and a people who are “ignorant of God's righteousness, and going about to establish their own righteousness.” [Rom 10:3] “My mouth shall shew forth thy righteousness and thy salvation all the day; for I know not the numbers thereof. I will go in the strength of the Lord GOD: I will make mention of thy righteousness, even of thine only.” [Psa 71:15-16] “The LORD is well pleased for his righteousness' sake; he will magnify the law, and make it honourable.” [Isa 42:21] “I delight to do thy will, O my God: yea, thy law is within my heart. I have preached righteousness in the great congregation: lo, I have not refrained my lips, O LORD, thou knowest. I have not hid thy righteousness within my heart; I have declared thy faithfulness and thy salvation: I have not concealed thy lovingkindness and thy truth from the great congregation.” [Psa 40:8-10] “And they that be wise shall shine as the brightness of the firmament; and they that turn many to righteousness as the stars forever and ever.” [Dan 12:3]

2. “The Wrath of God” [Rom 1:18] …
I am not ashamed to preach “God judgeth the righteous, and God is angry with the wicked every day.” [Psa 7:11] The Word of God says, “Thine hand shall find out all thine enemies: thy right hand shall find out those that hate thee” [Psa 21:8], “God is jealous, and the LORD revengeth; the LORD revengeth, and is furious; the LORD will take vengeance on his adversaries, and he reserveth wrath for his enemies.” [Nah 1:2] I am not ashamed of these words. Are you? Do you preach the wrath of God? I am not ashamed to preach “Thou, even thou, art to be feared: and who may stand in thy sight when once thou art angry?” [Psa 76:7] “Who can stand before his indignation? and who can abide in the fierceness of his anger? his fury is poured out like fire, and the rocks are thrown down by him.” [Nah 1:6]

3. The Law of God
“But we know that the law is good, if a man use it lawfully; Knowing this, that the law is not made for a righteous man, but for the lawless and disobedient, for the ungodly and for sinners, for unholy and profane, for murderers of fathers and murderers of mothers, for manslayers, For whoremongers, for them that defile themselves with mankind, for menstealers, for liars, for perjured persons, and if there be any other thing that is contrary to sound doctrine;
According to the glorious gospel of the blessed God, which was committed to my trust.” [1Ti 1:8-11]

A. The 1st Commandment “they glorified him not as God, neither were thankful” [Rom 1:21] …
I am not ashamed to preach the Word of God. “Thou shalt have no other gods before me.” [Exo 20:3] “thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength: this is the first commandment.” [Mar 12:30] “No man can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon.” [Mat 6:24] “He that loveth father or mother more than me is not worthy of me: and he that loveth son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me.” [Mat 10:37] “And they come unto thee as the people cometh, and they sit before thee as my people, and they hear thy words, but they will not do them: for with their mouth they show much love, but their heart goeth after their covetousness.” [Eze 33:31]

B. The 3rd Commandment “but became vain in their imaginations” [Rom 1:21] …

C. The 2nd Commandment “And changed the glory of the incorruptible God into an image made like to corruptible man, and to birds, and fourfooted beasts, and creeping things.” [Rom 1:23] …

D. The 2nd, 7th, and 10th Commandment “uncleanness through the lusts of their own hearts” [Rom 1:24]
“…covetousness, which is idolatry.” [Col 3:5] “…I had not known lust, except the law had said, Thou shalt not covet.” [Rom 7:7]

E. The 9th Commandment “Who changed the truth of God into a lie” [Rom 1:25] …

F. The 2nd Commandment “worshiped and served the creature more than the Creator, who is blessed forever. Amen.” [Rom 1:25] …

G. The 2nd, 7th, and 10th Commandment “burned in their lust one toward another” [Rom 1:27] …

H. The 1st Commandment “they did not like to retain God in their knowledge” [Rom 1:28] …
“The wicked, through the pride of his countenance, will not seek after God: God is not in all his thoughts.” [Psa 10:4]

4. The Unrighteousness of Man

“Being filled with all unrighteousness,
fornication,
wickedness,
covetousness,
maliciousness;
full of envy,
murder,
debate,
deceit,
malignity;
whisperers,
Backbiters,
haters of God,
despiteful,
proud,
boasters,
inventors of evil things,
disobedient to parents,
Without understanding,
covenant breakers,
without natural affection,
implacable,
unmerciful” [Rom 1:29-31] …

5. “the judgment of God is according to truth against them which commit such things.” [Rom 2:2] … “With my lips have I declared all the judgments of thy mouth.” [Psa 119:13] “The mouth of the righteous speaketh wisdom, and his tongue talketh of judgment.” [Psa 37:30] “I will speak of thy testimonies also before kings, and will not be ashamed.” [Psa 119:46] “My tongue shall speak of thy word: for all thy commandments are righteousness.” [Psa 119:176]

6. “the day of wrath and revelation of the righteous judgment of God” [Rom 2:5] …

7. God’s Hell Is Preached
“But unto them that are contentious, and do not obey the truth, but obey unrighteousness, indignation and wrath, Tribulation and anguish, upon every soul of man that doeth evil, of the Jew first, and also of the Gentile” [Rom 2:8-9] …

8. Paul preached of, “the day when God shall judge the secrets of men by Jesus Christ according to my gospel.” [Rom 2:16] …

9. Sin Is Personalized
Paul made sin personal to the hearer and used the Law of God to bring the knowledge of their personal sin. “What shall we say then? Is the law sin? God forbid. Nay, I had not known sin, but by the law: for I had not known lust, except the law had said, Thou shalt not covet.” [Rom 7:7]

“Thou therefore which teachest another, teachest thou not thyself? thou that preachest a man should not steal, dost thou steal? Thou that sayest a man should not commit adultery, dost thou commit adultery? thou that abhorrest idols, dost thou commit sacrilege? Thou that makest thy boast of the law, through breaking the law dishonorest thou God? For the name of God is blasphemed among the Gentiles through you, as it is written.” [Rom 2:21-24]
"Satan, the god of all dissension stirs up daily new sects. And last of all which of all others I should never have foreseen or once suspected, he has raised up a sect such as teach that men should not be terrified by the law, but gently exhorted by the preaching of the grace of Christ." –Martin Luther
"I do not believe that any man can preach the gospel who does not preach the Law." Then he warns, "Lower the Law and you dim the light by which man perceives his guilt; this is a very serious loss to the sinner rather than a gain; for it lessens the likelihood of his conviction and conversion. I say you have deprived the gospel of its ablest auxiliary [its most powerful weapon] when you have set aside the Law. You have taken away from it the schoolmaster that is to bring men to Christ . . . They will never accept grace till they tremble before a just and holy Law. Therefore the Law serves a most necessary purpose, and it must not be removed from its place." –Charles Spurgeon
"First, then, before you can speak peace to your hearts, you must be made to see, made to feel, made to weep over, made to bewail, your actual transgressions against the Law of God." -George Whitefield
"Before I can preach love, mercy and grace I must preach sin, law and judgment." -John Wesley
"I have found by long experience that the severest threatenings of the Law of God have a prominent place in leading men to Christ. They must see themselves lost before they will cry for mercy. They will not escape from danger until they see it." -A. B. Earle
"No one can know the true grace of God who has not first known the fear of God." -A. W. Tozer
"The highest service to which a man may obtain on earth is to preach the law of God." -John Wycliffe, the Bible translator

2007/6/29 3:14
LoveHim

Indiana, US

dear forrest,

i have been thinking the very same thing. i recently went to talk to people about Jesus and encountered some of the same thing with a few people..

i am gonna buy some tracts from ray comforts website (from the store on there).. some of the tracts are kinda cool with a good gospel message.. i am gonna buy some for those places like a doctor's office and places where you can't go into a 3 point sermon about man's sinfulness and God's great love for us..

just some thoughts..

2007/6/29 9:16Profile
psalm1

Forrest, Oswald chambers said we are to bring man closer to God,and not be disappointed at the results. I think this is true due to testimony I have heard about people that could not sleep at nite because someone witnessed to them.This is how I see it ,the Holy Spirit does the plowing and the evangelist plants the seed.Mankind,as i see it is basically insane for not taking Jesus' offer.It is the spirit of God that pierces this insanity.We are fellow workers with him. Our hearts are heavy with mans rejection, can you imagine how Gods heart feels?
Do you prophesy over the people you witness to? do you break the power of the enemy over their lives? Try it it is an awesome thing.

David

2007/6/29 13:05Profile
psalm1

Re:

I personally dont know of anyone the got saved because of Rays technique.I am sure it is effective . I just have not had success with it.I think when wtnessing the most effective tecnique is while they are talking I am praying . The Holy Spirit can now reveal the next wordss to come out of my mouth.
David

2007/6/29 13:13Profile
UniqueWebRev

Southern California

David,

The fact that I mentioned even the word, God, is that the first seed for her...somthing that the Holy Spirit will take and build on?

Although actually I don't recall excatly what I did say, I was so stunned at the lack of reaction, as if she were already dead in side...and she couldn't have even been 17!

Blessings,

Forrest

2007/6/29 17:44Profile

Re:

Pray before you do anything

2007/6/29 17:53
UniqueWebRev

Southern California

Phil,

In California, I cannot directly solicit for Christ in someone else's business.

Even where the Doctor and Staff are Christian, if I even left my cards around for my website, much less a tract, they would be tossed, and I'd be expelled from seeing my doctor. And bothering the other customers is not allowed. They have to be willing participants.

And it's worse where the doctors are not Christian...they don't have a policy of open expression, even in their waiting rooms.

That doesn't stop me chatting merrily away about God, but since it's always in relation to the conversation, which I draw as much to my disability, so I can witness; but if you can't get a response, you are not in a conversation, and things get touchy real fast.

This is why this girl's blankness was so disturbing...I had nothing I could legally use, and the time for standing up for my faith against those laws is not yet...God has warned me to be as 'wise as a serpent, and as meek as a dove'.

So how do I get a conversation going about God with someone who has never thought of God? For if we are talking, it's not proseltyzing.

Blessings,

Forrest

2007/6/29 17:53Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy