SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Whom did God call to Himself?

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
heartablaze

Whom did God call to Himself?

I was reading in Jeremiah yesterday, and found something very telling. Here at Sermonindex, we are always calling for repentance. Praise the Lord!

Jeremiah 3:
6The LORD said also unto me in the days of Josiah the king, Hast thou seen that which backsliding Israel hath done? she is gone up upon every high mountain and under every green tree, and there hath played the harlot.

7And I said after she had done all these things, Turn thou unto me. But she returned not. And her treacherous sister Judah saw it.

8And I saw, when for all the causes whereby backsliding Israel committed adultery I had put her away, and given her a bill of divorce; yet her treacherous sister Judah feared not, but went and played the harlot also.

9And it came to pass through the lightness of her whoredom, that she defiled the land, and committed adultery with stones and with stocks.

10And yet for all this her treacherous sister Judah hath not turned unto me with her whole heart, but feignedly, saith the LORD.

11And the LORD said unto me, The backsliding Israel hath justified herself more than treacherous Judah.

12Go and proclaim these words toward the north, and say, Return, thou backsliding Israel, saith the LORD; and I will not cause mine anger to fall upon you: for I am merciful, saith the LORD, and I will not keep anger for ever.

13Only acknowledge thine iniquity, that thou hast transgressed against the LORD thy God, and hast scattered thy ways to the strangers under every green tree, and ye have not obeyed my voice, saith the LORD.

14Turn, O backsliding children, saith the LORD; for I am married unto you: and I will take you one of a city, and two of a family, and I will bring you to Zion:

15And I will give you pastors according to mine heart, which shall feed you with knowledge and understanding.

The Lord did not call unto Judah to repentance, because it was acting as if it was worshiping God. The plainly sinful Israel was instead called to turn away from its sins, not its sister. It reminds me of how gracious Jesus was to apparent sinners, "calling them out," as it were, but he had more judgement on the men who would try to act as if they were righteous but were doing the same thing.
Don't be a hypocrite! Come back to the father's arms and admit your sin.

2007/6/28 13:41Profile
heartablaze

Re: Whom did God call to Himself?

Any comments? Am I incorrect in my interpretation? Anyone else see a different story out of it? Thanks.

2007/6/29 20:57Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy