SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : divorced and remarried christian brother

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
poet

Longview WA

divorced and remarried christian brother

My christian brother inlaw got a divorce after 25years, she didnt want to make it work, he did, but gave up. They got divorced. 2weeks later he, got married again. My wife and I would not go to the wedding. Shame on us right?
anyway, its been 3 years now and family says, were jerks and need to get over it and stop shunning our family member. I want to try to have some contact but without saying he is doing right. My wife only wants contact if we try to get him to stop living in sin, (ie) repent..
Im sure i'll get the gambet, but honestly im seeking God's will in this, His soul is at stake,
I dont care what family says about me.
when I stand before God what he says about me matters most.
thanks.

2007/6/26 23:33Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re: divorced and remarried christian brother

Might try a search here on this matter, we just went through a rather protracted discussion recently.

2007/6/26 23:44Profile

I'm confused from the original post...~~? Thanks for the disclaimer though.

2007/6/27 0:46
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Brother,

On this forum you will get a wide variety of opinions concerning this matter and it usually evolves into a heated debate. There seems to be no other issue, besides women in ministry, that generates so much heat.....maybe that is why we have global warming? :-?

Anyhow, back to your question. Did you say he remarried in two weeks after he was divorced? and he calls himself a Christian? I am appalled.

Now to your reaction to this 'marriage'...I understand your dilemna and support your position. However, what I think matters nothing, it is what the Bible teaches us that matters.

It is dangerous to fellowship with anyone who professes to be a Christian but lives in open sin. The Bible clearly teaches us this. What happens is that it has a way of wearing down our convictions against this 'sin', whatever sin it may be. For example, I know of a lady who has a serious anger problem. She has alienated her family, goes into a rant, rage when displeased. But she can be so charming, so religious. People outside the family never see this side of her. One of the family members has chosen to be be a close friend to her. Now we discover she is just like her: A very angry person, not given to common sense, and if challenged will resort to anger to defend her unethical ideas. Anyhow, get the point?

God bless you brother. What you are dealing with is no fun and I trust you will listen to the Holy Spirit to give you direction in dealing with this issue. I am not aware the Scriptures give us a details on how to deal with it, so you must rely on inspiration froom the Holy Spirit...anything other then this will not do.

Blessings,

ginnyrose

2007/6/27 9:18Profile

Re:

Brother-

If he was the innocent victim of adultery you will get a good debate (as previously stated) on this forum if it is ok to remarry.

If that is not the case then I am not sure anyone would argue with Jesus or Paul here

Mark 10:
10When they were in the house again, the disciples asked Jesus about this. 11He answered, "Anyone who divorces his wife and marries another woman commits adultery against her. 12And if she divorces her husband and marries another man, she commits adultery."

1 Corinthians 5:
9I have written you in my letter not to associate with sexually immoral people— 10not at all meaning the people of this world who are immoral, or the greedy and swindlers, or idolaters. In that case you would have to leave this world. 11But now I am writing you that you must not associate with anyone who calls himself a brother but is sexually immoral or greedy, an idolater or a slanderer, a drunkard or a swindler. With such a man do not even eat.

12What business is it of mine to judge those outside the church? Are you not to judge those inside? 13God will judge those outside. "Expel the wicked man from among you."[b]

Stand strong on the word of God - Jim

2007/6/27 9:28

Re: divorce and adultery

This is an issue in which I have given much thought and Bible study. You see the reason I have meditated so much on the subject is I am guilty of adultery. I have been married three times. The first time married I was lost and really would like to believe it was not Holy Matrimony because HIS WORD says, "what God has joined together let no man separate. I made a profession of faith while in that marriage which seemed to be only a mouth confession lacking heart and it had no fruit or obedience and I was only in church for a season and in service shorter than if ever.
I have not only guilty of adultery with a wife but with God and that is the most serious and is what many scriptures refer to. My first wife and I were married for 12 years and two children that are now grown. Three years after the first divorce I married one my high school majorette sweethearts which was purely lust of the eyes and the flesh. It only lasted 1 year and I was once again searching to fill that God shaped hole in my life. I cried out to him and ask him to give me a companion and a wife that I could love and she would love me. He granted that request and I still did not serve HIM at that time. I prayed and believed but no works, no service, and no fruit. One morning after being married to the third wife for 14 years who was serving HIM in a local church and praying for me and loving me and respecting me even when I did not deserve it I cried out to God and ask HIM to please help me because I did not agree the denominational beliefs where my wife was attending church. I would go with her occasionally just to please her. She asks me to go with one morning and I declined. She said, " you are suppose to be the spiritual leader of this marriage and you find a church and then she asked me "where do you want to go". I replied I don't have clue. That week as I was praying as I did most mornings on my 20 minute drive to work I said Lord I don't see how you can work this out, but if you can I want to serve you in a local church. I am tired of running and that very week my brother-in-law was lead the Christ at the city dump while dumping trash by a Pastor who was dumping nearby. The brother-in-law called me and told me of his salvation experience and invited me to his baptismal service. I asked the wife if she would like to go. She said yes. We went there for a couple of months and the sermons seemed like they all were directed at me personally, all of them. The Holy Spirit convicted me and I realized what Christ had done for me and I surrendered my life to HIM, this time with the heart. The Lord has healed our marriage and we joined that church. We started tithing; studying together, praying together, and then the bottom fell out financially. I had been suffering with COPD for a few years and it finally took its toll due to the working conditions. The last six months I was able to work I had to sleep in the recliner. If laid down flat for any amount of time I would wake up breathless. After two trips to the emergency room with her praying all the way and arriving with a blood oxygen level of 73 the doctor said you got stay out of the dust, smoke, chemicals etc. I said doc you just named my job description. He said got to quit work. I said how do I do that, we like to eat. The wife was already working and I filed for early retirement with the state because I met the time qualifications and the age. I also filed for SS. It takes forever on that even when you qualify. The next question is how do you make it and what about tithing. We said either he is God or He isn't. We never quit tithing and serving through those 8 months of testing but thank the Lord, we never missed a payment or a meal. We never asked for help from anyone but the Lord. There are so many different things that brought needed provision to our home that came from HIM and by HIM without a doubt. Of course we know everything comes from HIM anyway regardless of the circumstances. At the lowest level of that unemployment and no health insurance my wife hit a deer with our car on her way home from work. She was not hurt but the car was totaled. The insurance company paid us for the car. I bought the wrecked car back from the insurance company and through friends fixed it back and had 2,000.00 dollars left over for payments, food and of course the churches 10 %. That was a blessing even though it appeared to be doom. There were many other things I have covered about HIS LOVE and provision during that period. I glad we learned to trust HIM OH for grace to trust HIM more.
There have been times I have felt a call to preach HIS WORD and I do preach and witness in many ways but even though I have I feel I have disqualified myself from the pulpit. I am as forgiven as a Pastor that has been to the same women for 50 years but you just can't get around the husbands of one wife. There are times I want to grab the "well I only have one now" but I can't seem to discern that interpretation even though I would like to.

Anybody got any Word or advice or interpretation on this please RE:
GOD is sooooo GOOD!!!!!!

2007/6/30 2:46

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy