SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Requirements for missionaries to India

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
theopenlife

Requirements for missionaries to India

I thought this was awesome enough to share...
-----

Booth-Tucker: An Appreciation

General William Booth, founder of the Salvation Army, deployed Commissioner Frederick St. George de Latour Booth-Tucker to India curtly: “Go to India. Dress like the Indian.” “These are our people,” he taught his son, Bramwell.

Tucker invaded India, barefoot and begging for food. He gave up his comfort and his identity, becoming Fakir Singh. And, as with many heroic endeavours, Tucker’s adventures captivated a generation. So many people offered to join him that he set these conditions to quell the tide:

"Service will be a matter not merely of being willing to go anywhere, but of wishing to live and die for the particular race to which you are sent. You will be absolutely alone and under close scrutiny. It will be essential to learn at least one Indian language. You must leave entirely and forever behind you all your English dress and habits. Officers will be barefoot. You will avoid the English quarter, but will always live among natives – sometimes in a cave, a shady tree, or someone's veranda – or in a mud hut 16 by 10 feet. You will cook as they do, and wash your clothes in the stream with them. You have nothing to fear from the climate. The people are different and intensely religious. Find out what their thoughts are before you share yours. And if you are planning to return, don't go. We would not think of sending anyone out who did not plan to make it a life work (Ervine, God's Soldier , Vol I, page 576).

2007/6/26 2:06Profile

Re: Requirements for missionaries to India

Mary Slessor, born in Dundee, Scotland, did something like this in SE Nigeria - where it is not wise to walk barefoot and the weather is not what a Scot might choose.

According to a Nigerian Christian who had heard a recording of her reading the New Testament in his native language, she had become the best ex-pat speaker he had ever heard.

The only time she had returned home was to settle her mother and sister in better accommodation for her mother's health.

She died in 1915 on the field, and is commemorated on the current £10 bank note issued by the Clydesdale Bank (a Scottish Bank).

You can find more about her through google.

2007/6/26 12:43
deltadom

Hemel Hempstead

Re:

A general like for curry for breakfast, lunch and dinner and to know how to stay safe on the road as there traffic is mad.
A quiant desire for hole in the floor toilets
I went to India in January.

2007/6/26 13:56Profile

Re: Requirements for missionaries to India

Wow, sounds like how the Catholic Church intergrates into a society, adopt the customs.

2007/6/26 14:45

Re:

Wow, that could be a short guide for all missionary work.

2007/6/27 1:36
deltadom

Hemel Hempstead

Re:

it is not a matter of adopting their customs but surviving.
Prayer and Bible reading are a staple diet of any true believing christian as we were specifically talking about India and not any region specifcally as India as one of the fastest growing populations in the world and will out grow China.

I always say that something simple such as the simplicity of the gospel should be the same

2Co 1:12 - Show Context
For our boasting is this: the testimony of our conscience that we conducted ourselves in the world in simplicity and godly sincerity, not with fleshly wisdom but by the grace of God, and more abundantly toward you.

2Co 11:3 - Show Context
But I fear, lest somehow, as the serpent deceived Eve by his craftiness, so your minds may be corrupted from the simplicity* that is in Christ.

I reckon a few books worth of information would not do India justice.

Dom

2007/6/30 5:32Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy