SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Christians won't work on Sunday's but they expect others to.

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread

Re: Christians won't work on Sunday's but they expect others to.

Krispy said

Quote:
Paul even said one man keeps one day holy, another man keeps another day holy...

The thing which this highlights is that men desired to keep a day holy - unto the Lord.

There is definitely a connection between 'holy' days, and [i]rest[/i]... days set apart for [i]not working[/i]. But, it is possible to have days when one is not at work which are not 'holy'.

Perhaps we forget (or didn't realise) that the provision of care for poor people used to spring from a desire to imitate Christ's concern for our health and well-being. Sometimes these evolved into places of education also. But it is not possible to invite a person to a kind of hospital because they are sick, and then offer no staff at night-time and Sundays. :-P No-one would believe you were serious about 'care'.

It's the same with having children. One cannot just take a day off - or a night off - because that was never part of the deal.

I think also, there is quite a discipline for Christian businessmen, not to keep working on a Sunday unless it is part of the service their company offers (like roadside rescue, for instance), as there must be a temptation to just keep working and making more and more money. It may be hard not to include Sunday as a work-day when business is slow, also. It is at these times one has to know what kind of liberty has been given by the Spirit of grace.

As Paul also said, everyone must be convinced in his own mind that what he is doing is right for him personally. Whether it bucks the trend, or adheres to old practices. Sometimes, there are reasons for not rocking the boat. Sometimes the boat is definitely not the safest place to be.

It would be sin to work on Sunday if God had told you not to. It might be a sin [i]not[/i] to work on Sunday if God had called you into a service industry. As He said to Peter 'Follow thou Me'.

2007/6/26 15:49
Lotis

Re:

Hi, I work at a Pizza place that's open 7 days a week. I am one of four managers (one of three once school starts up again). The two owners are the other main two. I told them I need Sundays off, not because I think it's a sin to work on Sundays, but because I have church on Sundays and I have responsibilities to the church. I think it would be wrong to never give God his time, for me its like that, just giving God his day. But if one of my bosses has an emergency or they are going out of town, I don't think it's a good thing to say, "Too bad, so sad" and just force them to work. They aren't saved and if I just flat out refused to help them in their time of need, I don't think it would say much about my faith. Thats my take on it. I think not working Sundays is awesome, but I don't think its a sin to work that day either.

2007/6/26 16:04Profile

Re:

Quote:

It is at these times one has to know what kind of liberty has been given by the Spirit of grace.

New testamanet Christians worship God every day... they have no seperation between holy and "not holy" days, do they? Like many doctrines of babylon that keep the children of God in bondage, this started back in Constantines day.

in Christ - Jim

2007/6/26 16:12

Re:

PS-

Isnt "keeping the sabbath" sort of like "celebrating easter"... its a religous substitution for not entering in to the rest and resurrection life that is offered through Christ.

In Christ - Jim

2007/6/26 16:14
jordanamo

Re:

Krispy, we get this "law" from Genesis, it was before the Mosaic law even. God rested on the seventh day. This however is not a "law" insofar as it is a precedent.

A very important precedent, that we should take heed to. Rest on Saturday or Sunday, whichever you prefer, but it is a sound biblical precedent that should be followed. Not in a legalistic, pharisaic way, but in the Spirit. You should abstain from most work, and take the time to ponder God's creation, His attributes, etc.

2007/6/26 16:16Profile
HomeFree89

Indiana

Re:

This kind of goes back to the question, What still applies to a Christian from the OT? I'm still pondering that question, but the Lord is bringing clarity.

I listened to a tape series that said we should try to find specific application from the laws that aren't about sacrifice and apply them to our lives. We aren't to be legalistic about it, but maybe it would be good for us. What do you all think?

Jordan

2007/6/26 17:21Profile
Vakugal

Bangalore, India

Re: Christians won't work on Sunday's but they expect others to.

Joh 5:17 But Jesus answered them, My Father works until now, and I work.
I have heard a brother say, the last day God rested was on the 7th day of creation. Man sinned and from that day onwards God has been contiually, working ...that some may be saved ... causing all things to work for the best ...
Often we get cought up with the wrong words/semantics.
"to avoid sounding lofty I and me have been replaced by we and our:-)"
1. "Christians dont but expect others to..."
I guess the primary focus is our deep rooted attitude of judging others,sseing the spec whithout seeing the log. Our double standard and our failure to expect of others what we do ourselves.
2. Our inability to see the situation and judge by the little information we have. All we saw was the chap working, taking his cot and walking ...
There is a book by a Catholic brother called Lawrence ... walking in the presence of God (most have heard of it) where walking with God was continous across his life. Probably on Sunday the only difference was he was not multitasking.
The question is not just of Sunday, it is of how deligent are we with out time. does spending time with God and HIS saints come in our priorities. Does attending a 4 day conference become like having 4 sundays in a row and nothing more spectacular than any other day which is being spent with God.
As a brother said how can one 'enter' into Gods presence on a Sunday, when he is continually walking with God!?
So maybe it is not all about Sundays and Saturdays, it is obout my own (not others) relationship with Jesus. How much do I love HIM. Is everything else, everyday, becoming an intrusion, to be dealt with patince and love.
I feel the Lord has correctly spoken to us by this obvious observation, but it is not of Sundays and Saturdays but our love for the Lord and our attitude towards our fellow beings.
May we value being with God and the gathering of the saints, that unless circumstances forbid, we will do all to be there... be it even for a few momnets ...any day, everyday, and expect the same for everyman any day, everyday :-)
All To Jesus.

2007/6/26 18:47Profile
HomeFree89

Indiana

Re:

Quote:

KrispyKrittr wrote:
Let me ask you this? Why dont you work on Sunday? Are you still trying to live by the OT law, or are you free from the Law in the name of Jesus?

I'm not against having a day of rest, it is a sound Biblical principle. But Christians treat not working on Sunday as if is was commanded of us in the NT... like most believe tithing is for the NT Christian.

Paul even said one man keeps one day holy, another man keeps another day holy...

So whats the big deal about Sunday? Show me in the NT after Christ rose from the dead where we are taught that Christian should not work or recreate on Sunday.

Again, I'm not against it! I'm just asking where we got that "law" from. Why do we do it? Why do we strive to uphold the OT law so vigorously when Christ fulfilled it?

Krispy

Krispy,

It's part of the Ten Commandments. Why use the other nine like obeying parents if the Sabbath doesn't apply?

Jordan

2007/6/26 18:54Profile

Re:

Quote:
Krispy said: Again, I'm not against it! I'm just asking where we got that "law" from. Why do we do it? Why do we strive to uphold the OT law so vigorously when Christ fulfilled it?

Tradition!

We void out the cross thru our traditions. If we can maintain the keeping of Sunday as our day of rest without making it into a law, we will do ok. This is how you know that it's become a law to you, you begin to look down at your nieghbour who is cutting his lawn, you begin to tell others that Sunday is the day of rest and demand that they keep it. If you've come to that state, YOU HAVE FALLEN FROM GRACE.

Jesus Christ is our Sabbath Day, lets enter into Him and cease from our labours, "For no flesh shall glory in my presense".

2007/6/26 18:56
Vakugal

Bangalore, India

Re:

Just wanted to also add 2 small points-
1. God honours them who honours HIM. SO if one has decided to be radical regarding Sunday. excellent. But others may not have ... that I guess would be between him and God. But to exhort each other not to neglect the gathering of the saints.
2. Often when I have faced with circumstances where it was difficult to attend a meeting, work or sickness, when I have earnestly prayed, God has removed the hindrances. I know of saints who asked the Lord for a different job due to timings and got it.
God searches the heart.

2007/6/26 18:57Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy