SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Positive Thinking

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
Wordizlife

Positive Thinking

Is it a sin to use "positive thinking" techniques? I use positive affirmations sometimes in my head, then soon afterwards I find myself feeling guilty and then fall into more depression. This hasnt been happening as much lately though. But it happened a lot last year when I heard on Way of the master radio "positive thinking" being ridiculed? and just wondering?

2007/6/25 13:42Profile
Wordizlife

Re: Positive Thinking

also heard James Macdonald say something like this "self-esteem doesnt work, not only does it NOT work, but it's contrary to the biblical view of man."

2007/6/25 13:45Profile
Santana

Re:

I used to think the same way until I realized that God never talks about anything being "positive". He talks about focusing on the light which is Jesus.

2007/6/25 14:12Profile
Isaiah64

It depends what kind of "positive affirmations" you are using. Are you exalting self, attempting to boost your "self-esteem"--or are you lifting up and meditating on the TRUTHS of Scripture and claiming God's precious promises to His children?

There's nothing wrong with reminding yourself of His promises when you are in a bad situation (in fact we should be doing this all the time).
But satan has twisted this, as he does with everything that is good, and instead turned the focus of the true positive thinking inwardly towards yourself and how much YOU can accomplish, how great a person YOU are, etc., etc.

2007/6/25 15:16Profile
pastorfrin

Hi Wordizlife,

Paul gives us the answer to your question in:
Philip. 4:4-8
Rejoice in the Lord alway: and again I say, Rejoice. [5] Let your moderation be known unto all men. The Lord is at hand. [6] Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. [7] And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus. [8] Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.

Just like he says, "think on these things" and you will not be depressed.

In His Love
pastorfrin

2007/6/25 16:46Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy