SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : General Topics : Are You...? and Yet Not...?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
moreofHim

Are You...? and Yet Not...?

Are You...? and Yet Not...?

"Examine yourselves as to whether you are in the faith. Test yourselves. Do you not know yourselves Jesus Christ is in you?....UNLESS indeed you are disqualified."

I do not want to be "disqualified" when I meet Jesus in Heaven, and I see that though my salvation has been paid for by the precious Blood of Jesus...and I can add NOTHING to that, I clearly have a "part to do" that only I can do before Him. And so part of my self examination is to ask myself the following questions.

Join me and examine your own heart and practices before our Righteous Lord who comes to set things in Divine order in our lives.

~Are you washed in the blood…and yet not a disciple COMMITTED to follow Jesus?~

~Are you delivered from sin...and yet not DISCIPLINED to grow?~

~Are you justified by what He has done...and yet not SANCTIFIED by OBEDIENCE to the Holy Spirit?~

~Are you boasting in salvation...and yet not SUBMITTING to His authority?~

~Are you fond of Jesus...and yet not giving Him loving OBEDIENCE?~

~Are you attached to Jesus...and yet not ABIDING in Him?~

~Are you gathering information...and yet not allowing TRANSFORMATION?~

~Are you running here and there...and yet not finding Him in the SECRET PLACE?~

~Are you seeking for encouraging "words" from other people...and yet not listening to His STILL SMALL VOICE?~

~Are you only interested in God's blessings...and yet not OBEYING His commandments?~

~Are you wanting to find success through Jesus...and yet not willing to SURRENDER ALL at His feet?~

~Are you only listening to what others say He said...and yet not asking Him to REVEAL HIMSELF to you?~

The answers to such questions reveal a major dividing line between those who know "about" Jesus and those who "know" Him. A true disciple of the Lord is a follower...one who makes every effort to live his or her life in the manner of spirit which Jesus lived His.

Disciples study to show themselves approved unto God, as workmen who need not to be ashamed. They rightly divide the Word of Truth and humbly and obediently bow to the Authority who is God Almighty on a daily basis. Disciples of Jesus Christ hunger and thirst after righteousness as a way of life. This is THE WAY of Jesus, THE TRUTH, and THE LIFE. Be holy as He is holy. Uphold Him in the practice and conduct of your life as a living sacrifice. It is our reasonable service!

2 Timothy 2:15 * Matthew 5:6 * John 14:6 * 1 Peter 1:15-16 * Romans 12:1

Looking unto Jesus,
Sandy Brunson (wonderful friend and teacher of the Word)
:-)

2004/4/15 16:24Profile
rocklife

usa

Re: Are You...? and Yet Not...?

Praise God! Those are encouraging insights!!!

2004/4/15 17:01Profile
prayer1warrior

I needed to hear that today....
dave

2004/4/16 1:09Profile
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re:

This reminds me of John Wesleys rules that they used to read everyday to themselves. Very helpful Chanin.

2004/4/16 11:29Profile
riki

Sweden

Ok, time to be honest with you guys. I would like to share my situation with you. I stumbled upon this post just now and thought it could be a good way to show you what I mean. I have tried to be as honest as possible.

~Are you washed in the blood…and yet not a disciple COMMITTED to follow Jesus?~

Well, I am washed in the blood, but... the commitment is another thing.

~Are you delivered from sin...and yet not DISCIPLINED to grow?~

Delivered, yes. Disciplined, well... I guess not.

~Are you justified by what He has done...and yet not SANCTIFIED by OBEDIENCE to the Holy Spirit?~

Yes...and no.

~Are you boasting in salvation...and yet not SUBMITTING to His authority?~

Neither boasting, nor submitting. Because of fear, cowardice and a lacking knowledge of God.

~Are you fond of Jesus...and yet not giving Him loving OBEDIENCE?~

Not as fond as I ought to be. And I don't even know what loving obedience is.

~Are you attached to Jesus...and yet not ABIDING in Him?~

Attached to... well, yeah. Abiding? No. Longing to abide? Longing to enter into His rest? YES!!!

~Are you gathering information...and yet not allowing TRANSFORMATION?~

Bulls eye. PERFECT description.

~Are you running here and there...and yet not finding Him in the SECRET PLACE?~

That is correct. "Be still my soul" seems like an impossible thing.

~Are you seeking for encouraging "words" from other people...and yet not listening to His STILL SMALL VOICE?~

I admit that that has several times been the reason for hanging out at this website. And I have been feeding on books instead of the Bible.

~Are you only interested in God's blessings...and yet not OBEYING His commandments?~

Well, I do want to become an obedient disciple, but the obedience [u]here and now[/u] is a lot tougher.

~Are you wanting to find success through Jesus...and yet not willing to SURRENDER ALL at His feet?~

Success... not really. I think. And no, I am not yet willing to surrender all. I have to admit that, because I have sung "I surrender all" to many times and it has been a LIE! So if I am to surrender all it has to be ALL and have to mean it with every part of my being.

~Are you only listening to what others say He said...and yet not asking Him to REVEAL HIMSELF to you?~

I have been asking Him to reveal himself for a long time now, but something must be wrong. My heart is still so cold (or lukewarm?) and most of the time I am apathetic and unsensitive.

~Do I have a problem?~

Yes.

I won't go into all the details about my situation, I hope this will do for now. My hope is that out of all the wonderful saints here at SI, someone might have something to say. What is it that I do wrong? Where should I go from here? If anyone feels led to say something, please do. If you don't feel led, then don't say anything. I am NOT looking for a pat on the back. I have been honest and I want you to be honest too, both to me, yourselves and God.

Anyway, I appreciate this website and all you guys that hang out here [u]very[/u] much. Thanks for your time,

Rikard

2004/7/6 17:41Profile
ZekeO

Pietermaritzburg, South Africa

Re:

If you are being honest in your walk, then I think the first thing to do is tell the devil to get of your back, don't literally tak to him, he is not worth the mention, but ignore him. He loves to throw his arrows of condemnation and accusation at us, but the word says in Romans 8:1 There is no condemnation.

I remember reading this comment:

If we Listen to the accusations of the devil for long enough we will eventually believe that they are sentences we will have to live out.

Not that this is a formula, but talk to him, establish a normal dialogue with him, about everything.

George Mueller said, believe that he is your heavenly friend.
I don't have the typing skills to qualify everything but that is the jist what I feel for you.

John 17:3 Now this is eternal life, that they may know you.

2004/7/6 17:55Profile
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re:

brother Rikard, Thank you for your honesty I think many that come to this website who are professing [b]true[/b] believers of Christ are not in that abiding place of God as we speak. I would confess that I desire to be in that place where I am constantly abiding with HIM. I would like to share this sermon resource with you: [url=http://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/visit.php?lid=4247]Protection From Backslidding[/url] by Keith Daniel.

From the title you may assume that I am giving you a cure for the malady of backsliding but I think lukewarmness is the precipce to fall into the label of backslidding. We need to have fresh, daily communion and as keith daniel would say 'vital reality' with God. He also says in one point that its one of the worst miseries in the world to know all about God and Christ but not experience all that you [b]know[/b]. The Lord has used this recording and others by our brother Keith to really bring me back to the awareness of the daily necessity above all things to seek God. Here are a few quotes from this dear brother:

"If you enter your day without soaking yourself in the word of GOD you WILL backslide." - keith daniel

I realized that I can't fool anyone here especially God, we need to know Him daily and reading the scriptures is a HUGE way God talks back to us and how we can know more about Him, we should read the bible to know more about Him, not our pet doctrines.

2004/7/6 17:56Profile
Gideons

Virginia

Re:

Brother Rikard,

Thank you for sharing your heart with us. Sometimes it's very painful to be open and honest. James 5:16a comes to mind " Confess your faults one to another, and pray one for another, that ye may be healed."

I know that I'm a great sinner saved by the grace of God and that same grace that saved me through faith will sustain you as well.

I ask myself often "Father, am I fully surrendered to you" and oftentimes He reassures me and often He corrects me as well. If we don't have a "correctable" spirit (i.e. a soft heart), we will ignore correction and force God to chastise us.

I would simply articulate what you've shared with us in prayer and we'll join you brother. Psalms 51 is one of my favorite places in the Word and in the situation you describe I believe verses 10-12 are appropriate:

10. Create in me a clean heart, O God; and renew a right spirit within me.
11. Cast me not away from thy presence; and take not thy holy spirit from me.
12. Restore unto me the joy of thy salvation; and uphold me with thy free spirit.

I would add verse 17 as well "The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit: a broken and a contrite heart, O God, thou wilt not despise."

Sometimes God wants us to be so broken so that only He can put the pieces back together.

Jesus exhortation to the church in Ephesus may also be appropriate (Revelations 2:4,5):

4. Nevertheless I have somewhat against thee, because thou hast left thy first love.
5. Remember therefore from whence thou art fallen, and repent, and do the first works; or else I will come unto thee quickly, and will remove thy candlestick out of his place, except thou repent.

The fact that you're concerned about the state of your heart is a good sign. If you were lukewarm (which I was for a long time), you wouldn't care.

Ask God to renew that love that drew you to Him when you came to Him. If you want to surrender but feel you can't, he'll give you the grace to do that just tell Him that you want to but can't.

We're praying for you brother and God is going to finish what he started in your heart (Philippians 1:6). He will do it by His power. If His grace is sufficient for a sinner such as me, He will be there for you as well.

We're with you brother and God is going to help you. You just need to determine in your heart to totally yield to Him.

2004/7/6 22:16Profile
riki

Sweden

Re:

Thank you for sharing your hearts, guys. I appreciate that. :-)

I thought that should add a little something to clarify the picture.

These last two years or so, since I started to realize what my problem was (being saved but not [i]converted[/i], as Katz puts it), have really been a desert walk. Reading the Bible is like eating sawdust, my prayers are so often totally unfocused and uninspired. Perhaps my problem is that I just do not stick to it long enough, that I give up too easily? Then I do not have any real Christian fellowship either, not even a prayer group, which is also a suffering. I realize my need, and God knows about it, but hanging out with people who just seem to think that "all is well" is even more of a suffering than staying at home. So, is it dry? Yes, it is very dry indeed. The loneliness is one of the worst parts.

Quote:

I would simply articulate what you've shared with us in prayer and we'll join you brother. Psalms 51 is one of my favorite places in the Word and in the situation you describe I believe verses 10-12 are appropriate:

10. Create in me a clean heart, O God; and renew a right spirit within me.
11. Cast me not away from thy presence; and take not thy holy spirit from me.
12. Restore unto me the joy of thy salvation; and uphold me with thy free spirit.

My favourite psalm... :-)

Quote:
I would add verse 17 as well "The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit: a broken and a contrite heart, O God, thou wilt not despise."

Sometimes God wants us to be so broken so that only He can put the pieces back together.

Well, the lack of that brokenness is one of my problems.

Quote:
Jesus exhortation to the church in Ephesus may also be appropriate (Revelations 2:4,5):

4. Nevertheless I have somewhat against thee, because thou hast left thy first love.
5. Remember therefore from whence thou art fallen, and repent, and do the first works; or else I will come unto thee quickly, and will remove thy candlestick out of his place, except thou repent.

Interestingly, this points out the other side of my problem. Since I was saved at the age of 6, I can't even evaluate my "salvation experience". I can't really speak of any "first love". In fact, since it all happened quite naturally back then, I [b]now[/b] have to deal with a lot of foundational questions that haven't really been thought through before:

"What do I actually believe?"
"Why do I believe that?"
"Just how much do I believe it?"

These questions are killing me, because if I don't really know [i]why[/i] I can trust God, then I'm not even sure where I'm heading. And that makes me a lot less eager to just surrender all... :-( Do you see what I mean? This is also why I feel so lost and confused. A third of me has hope in God, another third thinks it's hopeless and the last third just wants to forget about the whole thing and live "the good life"...

2004/7/7 4:15Profile
repenter

Southern Ontario, Canada

Re:

Dear Brother,

I can understand a lot of what you've been saying. I've been in your shoes in certain degrees before. I would like to share some links with you that are for some materials that may be a help to you. They are from a ministry who's purpose is to seek God for Revival. Also, I have copied and pasted an article from their web-site that gives a really good outline for a daily time with God, and if you spend only a few minutes on each area, it could take you up to an hour! That's one whole hour of focus on the Lord!

Revival Review, 1/1/2000
Holy Hour
Life Action Staff
Pamphlet

The revived heart is one in which Christ is enthroned. A heart with Christ enthroned will seek God’s face early each day before it seeks the face of man. Give God the first fruits of each day through Bible study and prayer. DON’T TAKE SHORTCUTS. Using all twelve steps will ensure that you remember that the purpose of a Holy Hour is to focus on the Father, not yourself, and will prevent the time from becoming dry and meaningless. Yesterday’s manna is not sufficient for today. Ask God to develop in your heart the kind of spiritual thirst that the psalmist expressed in Psalm 42:1,2. The twelve steps are:

Confession

Praise

Waiting on God

The Word

Intercession/Supplication

Petition

Thanksgiving

Singing

Meditation

Listening

Psalms

Praise

Remember that we become like the people with whom we spend time. If we desire to be godly, we must spend time with the Father daily. Scriptural illustrations of individuals seeking God include the psalmist in Psalm 5 and Jesus in Mark 1:35.

Joshua 1:8 "This book of the law shall not depart out of thy mouth; but thou shalt meditate therein day and night, that thou mayest observe to do according to all that is written therein: for then thou shalt make thy way prosperous, and then thou shalt have good success."

Psalm 5:3 "My voice shalt thou hear in the morning, O Lord; in the morning will I direct my prayer unto thee, and will look up."

Psalm 92:1,2 "It is a good thing to give thanks unto the Lord, and to sing praises unto thy name, O most High: to shew forth thy lovingkindness in the morning, and thy faithfulness every night."

Psalm 145:1,2 "I will extol thee, my God, O king; and I will bless thy name for ever and ever. Every day will I bless thee; and I will praise thy name for ever and ever."
Making It Personal
Am I meeting with God through a consistent, daily time in the Word and prayer?

What have I read in the Word in the past 24 hours? How did God speak to my heart through His Word?

How much time have I spent in prayer in the past 24 hours?

Am I consistently making worship a part of my daily time with God? Do I praise, sing, meditate, and listen in this worship time?

Now, here are the links to some hopefully helpful material...

http://www.lifeaction.org/Articles/PDF/Handouts/Complete_%20Spiritual.pdf

http://www.lifeaction.org/Articles/PDF/Handouts/The_Heart_God_Revives.pdf

http://www.lifeaction.org/Articles/PDF/Handouts/Grace.pdf

2004/7/7 9:46Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy