SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : CARNAL CHRISTIAN?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
RedeemedgurL

CARNAL CHRISTIAN?

IS THERE SUCH A PERSON CALLED A CARNAL CHRISTIAN?

2007/6/22 2:49Profile
RumbleBee

Houston, Texas

Re: CARNAL CHRISTIAN?

Backsliding sinner is what I'd call that.

2007/6/22 5:40Profile

Re:

Charles Finney had an article against the whole "carnal Christian" or "sinning saint" view. The article is called "The Carnal Christian" I believe.

The bible has a different term other then "sinning saint" and that term is hypocrite and backslider.

2007/6/22 6:02
rookie

Re:

According to Scripture...one is a babe in Christ.

1Cor. 3:1 And I, brethren, could not speak to you as to spiritual people but as to carnal, as to babes in Christ. 2 I fed you with milk and not with solid food; for until now you were not able to receive it, and even now you are still not able;

Heb. 5:12 For though by this time you ought to be teachers, you need someone to teach you again the first principles of the oracles of God; and you have come to need milk and not solid food. 13 For everyone who partakes only of milk is unskilled in the word of righteousness, for he is a babe. 14 But solid food belongs to those who are of full age, that is, those who by reason of use have their senses exercised to discern both good and evil.

Babes in Christ have not grown strong in the word of God.

Listen to John who writes about different levels of maturity...

12 I write to you, little children,
Because your sins are forgiven you for His name’s sake.
13 I write to you, fathers,
Because you have known Him who is from the beginning.
I write to you, young men,
Because you have overcome the wicked one.
I write to you, little children,
Because you have known the Father.
14 I have written to you, fathers,
Because you have known Him who is from the beginning.
I have written to you, young men,
Because you are strong, and the word of God abides in you,
And you have overcome the wicked one.

Look to the difference between the 'little children," "young men," and "fathers."

Paul writes of the Corinthians...

1Cor. 4:14 I do not write these things to shame you, but as my beloved children I warn you. 15 For though you might have ten thousand instructors in Christ, yet you do not have many fathers; for in Christ Jesus I have begotten you through the gospel.

He calls them "beloved children" whom he is warning, that there are few fathers among them.

In Christ
jeff

2007/6/22 6:16Profile
rookie

Re:

Lazarus wrote:

Quote:
Charles Finney had an article against the whole "carnal Christian" or "sinning saint" view. The article is called "The Carnal Christian" I believe.

I see it differently...not necessarily a saint who is sinning, but a saint who is immature...

What do you think brother Lazarus?

In Christ
Jeff

2007/6/22 6:20Profile

Re:

Here are the qualifications for a backslider or hypocrite, as I see it:

1. They have sin in their life

2. They are aware or know that sin is in their life

3. They are unwilling to get that sin out of their life

Such a person cannot be considered a "sinning saint" or a "carnal Christian" because they are no Saint at all, no Christian at all!

2007/6/22 6:21
rowdy2

Southern USA

Cast all your care upon Jesus, look full in His face.

(Ps.37:5 Commit thy way unto the Lord; trust also in him; and he shall bring it to pass.)
(Ps.55:22 Cast thy burden upon the Lord, and he shall sustain thee: he shall never suffer the righteous to be moved.)
(Prov.16:3 Commit thy works unto the Lord, and thy thoughts shall be established.)
(Jer.17:7-8
7 Blessed is the man that trusteth in the Lord, and whose hope the Lord is.
8 For he shall be as a tree planted by the waters, and that spreadeth out her roots by the river, and shall not see when heat cometh, but her leaf shall be green; and shall not be careful in the year of drought, neither shall cease from yielding fruit.)
(Matt.6:26-34
26 Behold the fowls of the air: for they sow not, neither do they reap, nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feedeth them. Are ye not much better than they?
27 Which of you by taking thought can add one cubit unto his stature?
28 And why take ye thought for raiment? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow; they toil not, neither do they spin:
29 And yet I say unto you, That even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these.
30 Wherefore, if God so clothe the grass of the field, which to day is, and to morrow is cast into the oven, shall he not much more clothe you, O ye of little faith?
31 Therefore take no thought, saying, What shall we eat? or, What shall we drink? or, Wherewithal shall we be clothed?
32 (For after all these things do the Gentiles seek:) for your heavenly Father knoweth that ye have need of all these things.
33 But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.
34 Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.)
(Lk.12:22-32
22 And he said unto his disciples, Therefore I say unto you, Take no thought for your life, what ye shall eat; neither for the body, what ye shall put on.
23 The life is more than meat, and the body is more than raiment.
24 Consider the ravens: for they neither sow nor reap; which neither have storehouse nor barn; and God feedeth them: how much more are ye better than the fowls?
25 And which of you with taking thought can add to his stature one cubit?
26 If ye then be not able to do that thing which is least, why take ye thought for the rest?
27 Consider the lilies how they grow: they toil not, they spin not; and yet I say unto you, that Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these.
28 If then God so clothe the grass, which is to day in the field, and to morrow is cast into the oven; how much more will he clothe you, O ye of little faith?
29 And seek not ye what ye shall eat, or what ye shall drink, neither be ye of doubtful mind.
30 For all these things do the nations of the world seek after: and your Father knoweth that ye have need of these things.
31 But rather seek ye the kingdom of God; and all these things shall be added unto you.
32 Fear not, little flock; for it is your Father's good pleasure to give you the kingdom.)
(Php.4:6-7
6 Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God.
7 And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.)
(Heb.13:5 Let your conversation be without covetousness; and be content with such things as ye have: for he hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee.)
(1Pet.5:6-7
6 Humble yourselves therefore under the mighty hand of God, that he may exalt you in due time:
7 Casting all your care upon him; for he careth for you.)

Eddie

2007/6/22 7:09Profile
nizero

I found a great article on this exact topic by Ernest Reisinger. If you had listened to a sermon by Paul Washer you might of been introduced to this topic of the "carnal christian". I beilieve that this article might of been influential in Washers understanding of this topic. I know that Reisinger's other writings had a profound effect on Washers understanding of evangelism.

Quote:
My purpose in this booklet is to argue that this classification is wrong and to set out the positive, historic, and biblical answer to this 'carnal Christian' teaching. The argument from Church history is not unimportant, for it is a fact that less than two-hundred years ago this teaching was unknown in the churches of North America, but I am concerned to rest my case on an honest statement of the teaching of the Bible. I have written after study, private meditation and prayer, and after using many of the old respected commentaries of another day, but my appeal is to the Word of God and it is in the light of that authority that I ask the reader to consider all that follows.

-[url=http://www.reformedreader.org/rbb/reisinger/tcc.htm]Reisinger - The Carnal Christian[/url]

2007/6/22 10:08Profile
psalm1

Redeemedgurl, When we get to heaven, we will be issued crowns. Rewards for souls we brought with us etc.
some will have no crowns because they did nothing to advance Gods kingdom.
also "there are some saved as through fire"
"They are saved but their works are burned up"
Not good!!!
......David

2007/6/22 10:37Profile

Re:

I love what Jesus and Paul had to say about carnal "christians"...

Matthew 7
21"Not everyone who says to me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only he who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. 22Many will say to me on that day, 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and in your name drive out demons and perform many miracles?' 23Then I will tell them plainly, 'I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!'

24"Therefore everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock. 25The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house; yet it did not fall, because it had its foundation on the rock. 26But everyone who hears these words of mine and does not put them into practice is like a foolish man who built his house on sand. 27The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house, and it fell with a great crash."

1 Corinthians 6
9Do you not know that the wicked will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor male prostitutes nor homosexual offenders 10nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God. 11And that is what some of you were. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God.

Galatians 6
7Do not be deceived: God cannot be mocked. A man reaps what he sows. 8The one who sows to please his sinful nature, from that nature[a]will reap destruction; the one who sows to please the Spirit, from the Spirit will reap eternal life. 9Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up.

2007/6/22 10:55

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy