SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : house church benefits

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
PosterThread

Re:

I don't want to get off topic regarding this issue. However, it seems to me as I read the bible that there was one Pastor over each city. Today, we have way too many hirelings calling themselves Pastor.

2007/6/23 14:15
DavidJoy

Southwest Missouri

Re: Scriptural Assembly

Hi. I'm new to this forum, but I'm excited to find others who are hungry for revival, hungry for spiritual life, hungry for Him!

Briefly, I have been involved in a couple of "house churches" in the past and generally they were not very spiritual or edifying. I agree that in general private homes are the preferred meeting place for fellowship and corporate worship. Do a Scripture search on the number of times "the church that meets in the house of..." is mentioned in the NT (I think it's over 10 times). It's noteworthy that there were no set apart "church buildings" for the first 300 years of Christianity. From what I've read, the first church buildings were formerly pagan temples where the "Christian government" kicked out the previous occupants (the pagans) to make room for the Christians.

Anyway, to me the greter issue than where we meet is WHAT we do when we come together. This is a big issue, but for starters, how about 1 Cor. 14:26: "How is it then, brethren? Whenever you come together, each of you has a psalm, has a teaching, has a tongue, has a revelation, has an interpretation. Let all things be done for edification." How often is that verse followed ("each of you") in most church gatherings today? Instead, we have followed the lecture style format of meetings where one man stands up front and does all the teachings while the rest of the brethren sit passively by. No wonder there is such a lack of zeal among men today when there is no emphasis on active participation and interaction among the gathered brethren!

I have gained a lot from being exposed to some of the teaching from the New Testament Restoration Foundation (NTRF), Jonathan Lindvall, Beresford Job, and Matthew Chapman (Kindling Publications). I don't agree with all of these brethren on every issue, but each of them has gone down this path of seeking to follow the Scriptural pattern of corporate assembly practices.

Also, in case anyone out there is interested, Jonathan Lindvall will be in this area of the State (Southwest Missouri) next week on the 29th and 30th teaching on this very topic (New Testament Church practices). If anyone is interested, let me know and I'll provide further details. Is there another place on this site where I could anounce this meeting?

Grace and peace in Jesus,
David

2007/6/23 14:16Profile
LoveHim

Indiana, US

Re:

dear david,

thank you for that post. i appreciate your words and experience in this matter.

you are correct, the issue is what we do when we meet. i have only been a part of the lecture style church all of my life and i hunger for a smaller group of members, who love God and love others completely. members who each bring something to edify, correct, guide, and encourage one another instead of relying on one man to feed all..

meeting in a home would not make all wrongs ok, but i think just being out of that kind of atmosphere for me would allow us to focus on the Lord and building each other up instead of building earthly knigdoms. it would allow us to focus on one another instead of the "pastors" vision and goals for the upcoming year.

i pray to God that i do not sound mad or anything like that because i am not, i am just hungering for something more than what i can get at a sunday morning service.

ps compliments, where do you see in the Bible that one pastor was over each church?? just wondering. love ya guys.

2007/6/23 19:58Profile

Re:

Quote:
I don't want to get off topic regarding this issue. However, it seems to me as I read the bible that there was one Pastor over each city. Today, we have way too many hirelings calling themselves Pastor.

Back then believers belonged to the "Church of Christ" and simply added "at Corinth" or "at Ephasus" to describe where they were located.

With all the denominations, creeds, sects, splits, divisions, etc, I don't think we're going back to the original form anytime soon.

2007/6/23 20:10
Koinonia2

USA

Re:

Being the "church in" is not a name, but a description. Christ only has one church that includes all of His brothers and sisters. The gathering of that one church in any given city is the "church in" that city. This is how the church is described all over the epistles and in Revelation. There are some groups that try to practice this by referring themselves as "the church in." Even if this is not a practical reality today (with so many denominations), it is still a spiritual reality.

2007/6/23 22:33Profile
LoveHim

Indiana, US

Re:

yeah corey, back then you belonged to Christ. it wasn't about the buildings (because they met in
homes) or the services, it was just about seeing Jesus glorified..

there was a church in the city with multiple functioning pastors, prophets, evangelists, etc.

oh to see the church of Christ move in power as the church of the NT did..

2007/6/23 22:43Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy