Discussion Forum : General Topics : house church benefits

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
LoveHim

Indiana, US

house church benefits

dear brothers and sisters,

i am writing this because as i have studied the orgins of a lot of our "church" traditions, i am finding that some things that we do every week in "church" does not find its roots in the N.T., but some other origin (tradition, pagan, etc).

one of those things that i am referring to is meeting in a church building.. i am not writing this to get into a debate on whether we should meet in "churches" or homes.

rather, i would like to know what are some of the real benefits of meeting in a house church.. i have only read about them, but i would like for people who have met in them or are meeting in them to write and tell us all of the benefits of them..

thank you so much for your time and future writings..

2007/6/21 10:13Profile
ravenmolehil

North Carolina, US

Re: house church benefits

I have heard my grandmother mention home meetings as a blessing, being from the rural south this was a way of life for her & many others around the time of her childhood. My grandfather remembers such meetings where his illiterate uncle was often allowed to speak from memory & many in the community viewed him as a mighty preacher.
I haven’t any experience in this area but the idea has began to grow on me. The home church seems to engage those in attendance and be a bit more intimate in fellowship. I don’t know whether my grandparents are just romanticizing on the past but they have me curious. As being unchurched for most of my life, I find myself searching for biblical support for the balance of traditions etc. that take place within our local assembly & I look forward to the comments on this subject.

2007/6/21 10:55Profile
LoveHim

Indiana, US

Re:

thank you ravenmolehill,

i always grew up in a church building, but never have i been a part of a house church.. i like you am curious about such a life, which is why i wrote the post.. i just wish there were already one by me that i knew of, but as much as i search for one, i can't find one..

i, like you, antipate what others with experience of that may say..

2007/6/21 11:02Profile
theopenlife

Re:

I've been meeting with a group of believers in a home meeting for almost a year. It began as a college group affiliated with a major church. When the church divided a few of us had no idea where to go, but to continue gathering together at the former elders' home. Despite not having a formal pastor, there has come to be a natural submission to others, in order of manifested fruitfulness. The oldest member (41) is quite devout in his studies and devotion, leads us into regular prayer and evangelism, and is an able leader. In time I would not be suprised if the body lays hands on him to acknowledge the Lord's calling upon him to shepherd. What's best about our situation?

1.) We know one another intimately and no one can easily bury their struggles. We pray openly for one another and, when appropriate, confess our weaknesses.

2.) We are a committed group, not weakened by a mass of "long-term visitors", which enables us to grow together and then go out to the lost. No one is holding us back from being "too holy".

3.) No financial overhead. We share food when we meet, we gather in one another's homes. We know needs and can distribute to them. No pastor is being tempted to receive a $90,000 salary with travel bonuses because all ten of us live frugally as it is.

4.)We have determined that if the group should ever reach 30 or so, we'll seek the Lord to form another leader in another home, sending five or ten of the member that direction. Not a lot of room for "power tripping" and pride. The elders of each house become a network of accountability.

Hope this helps.

The downside is

2007/6/21 14:20Profile
LoveHim

Indiana, US

Re:

thank you michael (theopenlife),

that is awesome.. i love to read about that kinda stuff.. that is what my heart longs for..

i guess that i need to keep praying and waiting for the Lord to open the door and that i would find a fellowship like that.. thank you for some insight into your fellowship there in cheeseland..

ps.. by the way, i love the downside...none.

2007/6/21 14:58Profile
theopenlife

Re:

If you lok around online, there are some networks of house churches... I found one about 15 minutes from where I live, they actually meet in the city hall. Later on I found out that a faithful street preacher here goes to that fellowship. I don't recall the website, but if I do later, I'll post it.

2007/6/21 15:52Profile
Koinonia2

USA

Re: house church benefits

A great benefit is being rid of the unscriptural hierarchial clerical structure of almost all deominations. In house churches, there is no "Pastor," no pulpit, no pews, no passive laiety. All are able to pastor,minister to one another, and meet in mutuality.

2007/6/21 17:06Profile
theopenlife

Re:

I'm not against pastorship; history, as well as this site, testify of very many who were quite able men and worthy of the task. Such pastors are humble servants, readily submitting to the scriptures as the Spirit leads, regardless of whose mouth is used to deliver them. Yet, there is a tendency to grope for greater authority when the body moves a different direction. Each method has its flaws.

In some respects the house-church-model conceals or avoids certain faults on the basis of its size. Fewer members sometimes means closer accountability, humilty, etc. Yet sin remains sin and, if unmortified within bodies of any size, will show its force. In a fellowship of fifteen there may be senseless pride, unchecked affections that blossom into violent passions, and sectarian spirits.

Where there is yet-unsanctified humanity, there is always the potential for disorder.

I sense that by "pastors" you meant so-called pastors with none of the heart for the biblical calling to shepherd. Even some house churches have those, but after twenty or thirty years they tend to become full-grown churches.

2007/6/21 18:16Profile
Koinonia2

USA

Re:

Thanks, theopenlife, I appreciate your post, and do agree with you.

By "pastors," though, I mean to say that the office of "pastor" is unscriptural. Pastoring - being a shepherd - is a function, not an office. The only church offices found in the New Testament are elders and deacons. The unscriptural modern practice of pastorship (which is a form of clerical hierarchy) usurps the Spirit's gifts and the participation of all the constituent believers in the church.

2007/6/21 18:28Profile
theopenlife

Re:

Quote:
The unscriptural modern practice of pastorship (which is a form of clerical hierarchy) usurps the Spirit's gifts and the participation of all the constituent believers in the church.

Here comes a discussion! :-) Care to elaborate? I'm not hard-lined on this subject, in fact I'm quite undefined, so here's an opportunity to enlighten a brother.

I must ask, if it is so plainly unscriptural, why do we regard so many in this position as rolemodels of Christian behavior? And, by the way, please define "pastor".

Interested...

2007/6/21 22:30Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy