Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Companion Bible v Newberry Bible

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
Kadmiel

Florida, U.S.A.

Re: Newberry Bible

Ron,

Ouch! The reason it cost so much is because it's "calfskin leather". Boy i bet thats beautifull. And the link you gave me says its "penfold" version and that it's single column to. My question is: The page that you showed me earlier had columns on both sides, not a single column? Does it matter?

2005/9/9 13:56Profile
Isleander

France

Re: Companion Bible v Newberry Bible

I had Bullinger's Companion Bible back in the 70's but found the Newberry a far superior study Bible (of which there were various editions. I had the three vol. edition (1890s, which I believe was the most comprehensive of all the study editions). I currently use the Penfold/Cambridge Edition (1987) of the Englishman’s Bible, but also have the later Penfold Edn. (printed in China!) - both these editions are now out of print.
Kregal once published both leather and hardback versions (this was yet another Newberry edition; not as comprehensive as Samuel Bagster’s Englishman’s Bible), but even Kregel’s hardback edition is now out of print - Chapter Two (of London) sold the last UK copy in November. However, Chapter Two still have some copies of John Richie's reprint, but this edition, somewhat smaller than the Kregal Edition, does not have the Greek and Hebrew text in the margins.
A quick Google or Bing search reveals that people are selling second-hand copies of the Newberry Bible at extortionate prices, even US$600+. We also sold our last Newberry Bible last month (this was the Penfold Wide-Margin Englishman’s Bible Edn.) to a British Missionary from Exeter who is working in Canada! Not surprising he came to us, as a Canadian Book seller was asking over US$300 for the same Bible!
Whilst I benefited from Bullinger's Companion Bible back in the mid 70s, I discovered he was a ridged dispensationalist, so lost all confidence in his works. Although Newberry was "Brethren", he was not, like Bullinger, a hard-line Dispensationalist, although he was a fan of the Daniel 70 weeks theory, as he shows in his Study Bible at the end of Daniel. That aside, I consider the Newberry Study Bible to be the best study Bible ever printed. Apparently the Kregal NT Edn. of the Newberry Bible has additional notes added by Bullinger!
Let's hope that the original Newberry Bible is reprinted again soon!
Please see here >> http://www.librarything.com/work/1645962/editions/ for list of editions on LibraryThing

2011/12/3 7:37Profile

Re: Newberry Bible

A good source of used books is
www.abebooks.com Blessings.

2011/12/3 10:21
Giggles

Re:

You could also check bookfinder4u.com

I found numerous editions of the Newberry available, one for as low as $24.99 USD.

Anyone else having trouble viewing the image links?

2011/12/3 10:24Profile

Re: Just a New Testanent

I just have a battered NIV New.Testament.

Blaine

2011/12/3 10:33

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy