Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Companion Bible v Newberry Bible

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
philologos

Reading, UK

Companion Bible v Newberry Bible

These are not really competitors but I think this section is probably for folk who really like to dig down into the rich veins of Bible ore.
The Companion Bible is v.useful for identifying the particular tense of a verb. The device Bullinger uses is a superscript 'o' with notes in a separate column. Newberry did something similar but which I think is much more accessible. Both versions are King James but with additional notes. Newberry devised a series of symbols which instantly identify the tense or case used. I have consistently found it the most valuable tool in my Bible study toolchest. (BTW how about a thread on favourite Bible study tools?) If any are interested in purchasing a 'Newberry' take care that you obtain the full version. There are at least 3 variants. My version has a broad central column for the text and narrow margins on both sides of the text. My current version was printed in 1987 at the University Press Oxford; the Kregle Version is not so comprehensive.
Newberry can look a bit daunting when first seen but in a very short time it is possible to have the double advantage of a clean KJV text and the opportunity of drilling down immediately into the underlying text.
More info available if anyone is interested.

2003/7/28 11:26Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re: Companion Bible v Newberry Bible

Quote:
Newberry devised a series of symbols which instantly identify the tense or case used

Intresting, I would love to see the layout but I searched on amazon.com and the web and I was hard pressed to find any pictures of the pages. Do you have a scanner ron? could you scan one in. hehe

I am still getting my head around the companion bible. But so far its been very helpful. I am looking forward to getting into it more.

2003/7/28 13:18Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re: Newberry Bible Scan

[img]http://www.therevivalweneed.com/xoops/forum_images/newberry01.gif[/img]

[url=http://www.therevivalweneed.com/xoops/forum_images/newberry02.gif]*(Click here to see a larger size image of this scan).[/url]

His/Yours
Ron

2003/7/28 14:37Profile
jeremyhulsey

Bible Study Tools

Ron wrote:

" (BTW how about a thread on favourite Bible study tools?)"

I am in the process of building a library right now and that would absolutely be an excellent thread.

In Christ,
Jeremy Hulsey

2003/8/12 1:01Profile

Re: Bible Study Tools

I have used the Companion Bible in the past and have found it very useful and has excellent notes. However, now I use the Hebrew Greek Key Study Bible. It's not very good for just casual reading as all the underlinings and helps get in the way and are distracting but for study purposes I have found it to be one of the best Bibles I have ever owned.

Kevin

2003/8/12 18:00
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

The Newberry Study Bible has been highly commended by competent scholars and thousands of less qualified students alike, who express admiration for the immense labours bestowed upon the work. Even from a practical standpoint it was a mammoth undertaking, being produced in the days preceding computers and word processors. The insightful information given in the margins and the text soon becomes invaluable to those who are at once aquainted with it.

Diligent scripture study drew Mr. Newberry into association with a remarkable revival which took place in the British Isles and indeed, throughout the world, early in the 19th century. At that time many eminent Christians were led to search the scriptures especially in regard to their ecclesiastical associations. Companies of brethren gathered together owning the name of the Lord Jesus Christ as their gathering centre (Matthew l8v20); while disowning traditions such as clerisy, sacramentalism and denominationalism in favour of a return to following New Testament patterns for local churches. They saw an assembly of Christians as 'priests around a person' (Christ) rather than 'people around a pastor'. Along with this discovery came a revival of fervency concerning the return of the Lord for His people, brought about by a literal approach to scriptures concerning prophetic events.

Mr. Newberry ministered among such assemblies for many years, and his lectures and writings on the Tabernacle and the Temple were in particular of great spiritual profit to thousands of the Lord's people. Indeed, he constructed a model of the Temple of exquisite beauty and design (he was an architect by profession), again the result of detailed and diligent study of the scriptures. He wrote articles for The Witness and other magazines, as well as conducting extensive correspondence with Bible students all over the world and seeking to be a help to the saints in every possible way.

He died at Weston-Super-Mare, England, on January 16th 1901, at the ripe age of 90. He left the following books behind him as a legacy of his devotion to the word of God; Notes On The Temple, Notes On The Tabernacle, The Parables Of Our Lord and The Temples Of Solomon and Ezekiel. Mr. Newberry's crowning work however, which you now hold in your hands, was the Englishman's Bible. It is still being widely used throughout the world almost 1 00 years after his death.

2003/11/12 20:11Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Continuing on the Thomas Newberry theme...

If you have copy of the "The Englishman's Greek New Testament" based on the Stephens 1550 text originally printed by Bagsters and later by Zondervan 1979. This was done by Newberry too. Concerning this Greek NT Michael Marlowe's Bible Researcher says Newberry, 1877. [Thomas Newberry], The Englishman's Greek New Testament, giving the Greek Text of Stephens 1550, with the various Readings of the Editions of Elzevir 1624, Griesbach, Lachmann, Tischendorf, Tregelles, Alford, and Wordsworth, together with an interlinear literal Translation, and the Authorized version of 1611. London: Samuel Bagster, 1877. 3rd ed. 1896. For an American edition see Berry 1897.

This interlinear uses the text of Estienne 1550, and gives the text of the King James version in a parallel column. Newberry gives in the lower margin of each page a complete collation of six critical editions. Most of the variants which make a difference in translation are also given in English. [u]Because of the critical apparatus, it is the best interlinear to be had.[/u] Unfortunately, because of its age it does not give information on the three most important critical texts of our century: Nestle 1898, Westcott and Hort 1881, and Aland Black Metzger Wikren Martini 1975. Most of the readings adopted in these three texts are however represented in the apparatus as the readings of earlier editors.
You can often find this second hand.

2005/9/9 11:13Profile
Kadmiel

Florida, U.S.A.

Re:

Ron,

Thank you for letting me see the inside. At just face value it looks just like the Thompson Chain Reference Bible in regards to the columns. I do like it. Is it difficult to find, since i don't have the slightest idea where to look for it as in "purchasing it online"?

2005/9/9 11:20Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Yes, it can be difficult to find. It periodically goes 'out of print' and is then reprinted but there are several forms of it. The most informative content is found in the 'single column'version. I have had versions printed by Penfold (Oxford) and others by Kregel? The central column version was printed last by Penfold but is now out of print again.

[url=http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0825432987/002-6355700-5537646?v=glance]The Kregel Version[/url] is still available but does NOT have the central column and is not as comprehensive as the Penfold version.

I see the [url=http://www.bibletreasurybookstore.com/SpecialBibles.aspx]Penfold printing[/url] is available but at $100!!. If you pursue this do check that it is the central column version printed by Penfolds.

2005/9/9 11:54Profile
dougkristen

Re: Bible Study Tools

A thread on Bible Study tools would be great! Maybe also one on bible study methods...

In Christ,
Doug

2005/9/9 12:00Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy