Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Initial Evidence Paper

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
PosterThread
Jimm

Harare, ZIMBABWE

Re: Precious gifts of the spirit

Hello

1 Corinthians14:26 How is it then, brethren? when ye come together, every one of you hath a psalm, hath a doctrine, hath a tongue, hath a revelation, hath an interpretation. Let all things be done unto edifying. 27 If any man speak in an unknown tongue, let it be by two, F56 or at the most by three, and that by course; and let one interpret. 28 But if there be no interpreter, let him keep silence in the church; and let him speak to himself, and to God.

Paul was writing here to regulate the use of the gifts of the Spirit. If he had to regulate them that would mean that they were being used of the people’s own discretion, otherwise he would be regulating God. I think the gift of tongues is not understood and nourished as much as the other gifts. Our ability to wield our gifts grows with our faith. These gifts are for the edifying of the body of the Church and may be used by the Holy Spirit as a means to convert someone, but they in themselves are not what convert a person. I believe John Wesley had the gift of teaching; which is a higher order gift than speaking in tongues but for some reason is not as esteemed among the church of today. It is not his gift that one people but God used his gift as a catalyst (for a lack of better words).

James

2004/7/5 13:24Profile
ravin

Washington st. u.S. A.

Re:

The lord tells us that "you just follow me" also that who are we to judge anothermans servent. make your salvation sure. what I find in others that turns me off is what I myself have to work on and the spirit shows me, not to condem my brother but that I may pray for them and myself. If I feel strong in myself then am I able to help others. For I am here to help with my Brother's burdens for if one is caught in a sin we are to go and help him and pray, so that it may not be us who are caught in sin and if so I pray that I will find Brothers and Sisters who are there to help me up and not push me down. May the Lord our savior bless. Bro. Raven

2004/7/5 14:15Profile
IRONMAN

IN HEAVENLY PLACES WITH JESUS

Re:

Quote:
Tongues, when the Holy Spirit moves in a service and gives you the unction to give a message, which should then be interpreted

I agree, you are right that some messages do need to be interpreted and passed on and all that depends on God's will.
However,not all messages that go up to God in the form of tongues need be interpreted or understood.The main thing is that God knows what is going on and will respond accordingly. When the spirit moves such that (assuming you have the gift) you start to speak in tongues the time of interpretation is up to God. It may not be a message that needs to be known by the whole congregation or the person in whom the spirit is working for that matter either.

2004/7/6 12:22Profile
IRONMAN

IN HEAVENLY PLACES WITH JESUS

Re:

Quote:
I believe John Wesley had the gift of teaching; which is a higher order gift than speaking in tongues but for some reason is not as esteemed among the church of today. It is not his gift that one people but God used his gift as a catalyst (for a lack of better words).

what then is the order, or level of importance? of gifts that the spirit gives? does it imply that someone with a lesser gift isn't as important in the function of the church?

2004/7/6 12:28Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy