SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Initial Evidence Paper

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

Quote:

I am sick of sitting under preaching that tries to convince people to come up tyhe front and "babble".

Yeah, I can imagine. I've never personally sat under a ministry that emphasized the need and desire to speak in tongues. My pastor preaches every now and then on the baptism of the Holy Spirit, but he doesn't have a time where he calls folks up to the altar and sits there and lays hands on them and pray really loud and encourage them in trying to speak tongues or something. The 120 at Pentecost needed no such thing... they simply just sought God.

2004/5/6 19:43Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

Quote:

I can just imagine how many others are like me in the charasmatic churches that feel they have to fake it or are deceiving themselves and are not speaking a heavenly language at all.

So many fake it and it makes me sick. I've never spoken in tongues in a service, and I seldom ever pray in tongues, and when I do, it's usually not for a very long time. Am I open to speaking in tongues, and praying in tongues? You bet. Anytime God wants me to, I will. But, for some I know who say they have a prayer language they can just turn on and off at will, that makes me sick.

2004/5/6 19:45Profile

Re:

Paul told us that he has a prayer language. Did he writtings make you sick Sir?

Mitch Miller

2004/7/5 10:29

Re:

We do not know for sure that speaking in tongues is the initial evidence of recieving the Holy Spirit, however we do know, that in almost every case, it was the first sign. We see it throughout the New Testament. We also know, Paul had to write to the Church at Corinth, because they were not doing things in Godly order. Meaning they weren't having someone interpret, and they had to many speaking at one time. So Paul wrote to them, to show them an order to it. And so we know, they were doing it in Corinth quite a lot, and Paul said I thank my God I speak in tongues more than ye all. Which shows me, if Corinth did alot of it, Paul really did alot of it. We know that it has been told to us that we speak not unto men but unto God when we speak in Tongues. Therefore, it is something that is used in our personal prayer time. We also know, that there is a difference between the Speaking in Tongues in your own worship to God, and the Gift of Speaking in Tongues, when the Holy Spirit moves in a service and gives you the unction to give a message, which should then be interpreted.

2004/7/5 10:35
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

Quote:

Paul told us that he has a prayer language. Did he writtings make you sick Sir?

Not at all. What I said makes me sick is the people who fake it.

2004/7/5 11:26Profile

Re:

Ahh I didn't notice that, I am sorry, I didn't mean to sound harsh. I agree, if you fake it, thats not right. I thought, you were trying to say, that it is something which Christians should not be doing everday.

Mitch

2004/7/5 11:31
Jimm

Harare, ZIMBABWE

Re:

Hey KingJimmy1

KingJimmy wrote:

Quote:

So many fake it and it makes me sick. I've never spoken in tongues in a service, and I seldom ever pray in tongues, and when I do, it's usually not for a very long time. Am I open to speaking in tongues, and praying in tongues? You bet. Anytime God wants me to, I will. But, for some I know who say they have a prayer language they can just turn on and off at will, that makes me sick.

I don't know if this is along the same lines but I was made to think of this passage of scripture:

1Corinthians14:31 For you can all prophesy one by one, so that all may learn and all may be exhorted; 32 and the spirits of prophets are subject to prophets; 33 for God is not a God of confusion but of peace, as in all the churches of the saints.

I have always thought that spiritual gifts are to be exercised at the discretion of the recipient because of this passage.

2004/7/5 11:33Profile

Re:

Hey there, Good passages I see here. I do think though, that in a Church Service, the Gifts are given to whoever the Holy Spirit chooses. He might give me a message in tongues, and never use me again for that for years and years, or even never again. We get an unction from the Holy One, then we speak. However, we need to realize the difference between that, and our personal prayer time.

2004/7/5 11:48
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

Quote:

We do not know for sure that speaking in tongues is the initial evidence of recieving the Holy Spirit, however we do know, that in almost every case, it was the first sign.

Indeed, this does seem to be the case. So, I do not have too much problem with people expecting others who are baptized in the Spirit to also speak in tongues when they receive the Spirit. However, it is my growing conviction that any manifestation of the Spirit will do. As Jesus said, "you shall receive power..." He did not say "you shall receive tongues..." The emphasis seems to be in the Scriptures the idea of power being bestowed upon an individual to do the work of ministry.

For me, it is personally hard to imagine that men like John Wesley whom God used ever so mightily to win countless scores of people to Christ, and absolutely shake Britian and the colonies for God, did not have the baptism of the Holy Spirit, and that we would deny such men had it because they never spoke in tongues. It would be hard to imagine saying that all their preaching was done in their own strength, and that they attracted scores of thousands upon thousands to their meetings that were held in harsh conditions at times, in the middle of open fields, all through human effort.

How is it that men like John Wesley shook the world without ever having the evidence of speaking in tongues, yet there are churches by their hundreds and thousands, where many in those congregations say they have the baptism of the Holy Spirit, yet are unable to even shake the dust off their own feet.

Some of the most powerful preachers I have ever heard have been ones that deny ever having spoken in tongues. Such men as Leonard Ravenhill, who I heard in a sermon he preached in the 1950's deny having ever spoken in tongues (not that he opposed it though), yet frankly, that sermon he preached was one of the greatest sermons I ever heard him preach.

Or take other men such as Keith Daniel, whose ministry has absolutely shaken me. Yet to my knowledge, he has not spoken in tongues (and appears to think they have ceased, though I am not 100% sure about that.) Do I doubt that he has the fullness of the Spirit? Nope.

Men simply cannot speak in such a way without the power of the Spirit, and shake individuals as these men did, unless God were with them.

2004/7/5 11:58Profile

Re:

Oh I believe you can be a strong man of God without speaking in Tongues. We are only commanded not to hinder the speaking in tongues. Meaning, we are not allowed to say its wrong, we are not allowed to make fun of it, and we are not allowed to do anything that might cause someone never to speak in tongues. Surely many men have come and gone and went onto Heaven and never spoken in Tongues. The Holy Spirit might just have never wanted to use them for that particular task. However, we do know, that if they would have prayed in Tongues in their private prayer time, there is a good chance, that many things in their life would have been even greater than they ever thougth possible. I mean yes, they brought in thousands of people, but perhaps God wanted more than that there, perhaps God wanted them to shake more than they did. I never meant to imply, you can't be Godly and not speak in Tongues, I just meant, that we should want it, to edify ourselves, and to allow us to worship God stronger and more effectively.

2004/7/5 12:39

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy